Great news story from The web

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by fly_past, Nov 6, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. yes

2. no

0 vote(s)
  3. didnt go far enough?

0 vote(s)
  4. Nuke for morbid!?

0 vote(s)
  1. Nickeed from the web and posted for all to see

Comments below please

BALTIMORE (Reuters) - A jury on Wednesday ordered an anti-gay Kansas church to pay $10.9 million in damages to relatives of a U.S. Marine who died in Iraq after church members cheered his death at his funeral.

Church members said Marine Lance Cpl. Matthew Snyder's death was God's punishment of America for tolerating homosexuality, and they attended his 2006 funeral in Maryland with signs saying "You're going to hell" and "God hates you."

The federal jury determined the Westboro Baptist Church, based in Topeka, and three of its principals invaded the privacy of the dead man's family and inflicted emotional distress.

Albert Snyder, the Marine's father, testified that his son was not gay, but the church targeted the military as a symbol of America's tolerance of gays. Matthew Snyder died in combat in Iraq in March 2006.

The jury awarded Snyder's family $2.9 million in compensatory damages plus $8 million in punitive damages in the first civil suit against the church, which has demonstrated at some 300 military funerals the past two years.

The lawsuit said church Web sites vilified U.S. soldiers, accusing them of being indoctrinated by "fag propaganda."

"I hope it's enough to deter them from doing this to other families. It was not about the money. It was about getting them to stop," said Snyder, of York, Pennsylvania.

The church, which is unaffiliated with any major denomination, is headed by Rev. Fred Phelps, who has led a campaign against homosexuality for years. Most of the estimated 70 members of the church belong to his extended family.

"It will take the 4th Circuit Court of Appeals a few minutes to reverse this silly thing," Phelps said.

His daughter and co-defendant, Shirley Phelps-Roper, vowed to continue protesting military funerals and called the court's decision a blow against free speech.

Outside court on Wednesday, Phelps and his children waved placards with slogans such as "Pray for more dead kids" and "God hates fag enablers," while passing drivers and pedestrians shouted abuse at them.

Defense attorney Jonathan Katz urged jurors not to award punitive damages because the $2.9 million in compensatory damages was already three times the defendants' net worth.

"It's enough already to bankrupt them and financially destroy them," Katz said.

Craig Trebilcock, an attorney for Snyder, said jurors should award sufficient punitive damages to deter Westboro from repeating its actions.
  2. Wasn't there a TV programme about these lot a while ago? The most hated family in America or something.
  3. Yep there was. The "pastor" concerned also runs some websites among them:

(What did Sweden do to p1ss him off)? Be warned this is totally off the wall stuff if you visit any of these sites, but as a died in the wool, wooly woofter I must admit to visiting his God hates fags website, I didn't know whether to laugh out loud or hang my head in shame that people actual believe his drivel.
  4. Sad bunch of bastards {the church not the Milatary} ,
  5. Didnt Louis Theroux visit them, and go with them to watch them demonstrate at a dead soldiers funeral - If i had been there I dont think I would have been there seeing what happened, I'd probably be doing the doing!
  6. Religious super freaks, I just can't abide some peoples intolerance of others.
    I think they should be burned or hung from a tree.
  7. Yes, that was the programme. The "church" consists of Pastor Fred Phelps and most of his extended family. There are only about 71 members, and 60 of those are related to him via birth or marriage.
    He's one sick puppy and I think the only reason he's lived so long is that 'his God' probably isn't in a great hurry to have Pastor Fred join him in Heaven. :thumright:
  8. And when he gets wherever it is he is going, I do hope the devil shags his arse!