Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Great Military Speech at Awards Briefing

lgu98141

Midshipman
Forgive me if this has already been posted elsewhere but I couldn't see anything. This was a speech given by Lt Gen Lamb at the Operational awards briefing (stolen from ARRSE site). Very eloquent and moving - perhaps he should give the MPs a lesson on how to praise the Armed Forces.

This is the full speech by Lt Gen Sir Graeme Lamb at the announcement of gallantry awards in Colchester.

AWESOME - Please share

Welcome to this day, particularly the families and friends. We in uniform know only too well the silent burden that you carry for those of us who serve this country. Tomorrow Operational Awards List 32 is made public. Today is about those from all three Services who have been recognised for their bravery. It is their stories that are on display here: respect that.

It is said that “true riches cannot be bought – one cannot buy the experience of brave deeds or the friendship of companions to whom one is bound forever by ordeals suffered in common – true friendship itself is an emerald simply beyond price.†Those in uniform understand that bond, those here and those they fought alongside recognise simple courage and we the nation recognise that these young men and women acted above and beyond the call of duty. ‘Duty’ a word considered rather old-fashioned, seldom heard today along with integrity, honesty, service, sacrifice but terms these soldiers, sailors, airmen and marines recognise, live and die by. These quiet and unsung heroes understand only too well what Colonel Paddy Maine alluded to when he talked of ordeals suffered in common and what held them together.

These men and women know only too well the burden that is duty. They are no braver nor less courageous than the likes of Col Maine and his forefathers, no less committed, no less human and they are in every way the match of those who went before them.

These young people, ladies and gentlemen, are the British Armed Forces.

I have read ill-judged remarks from casual observers, from armchair critics, that we are an Army that is overwhelmed, humiliated and downtrodden; that we are an Army that struggles to punch above its weight. Challenge those here who spend time – again at worlds end – with that claim. They are not consumed by trivial self-interest, barging others aside in order to gain some material advantage for ambition.

These warriors are the stuff of legend. They know the meaning of life and death, of standing by your friends, of standing up for something which they and we recognise as a mighty force; and being counted. They know only too well just how fragile is the gift of life and they know only too well the human cost and will remember those, every bit their equal, who did not make it home. Those who gave their full measure in some foreign field: gone, never forgotten.

The likes of Sergeant Major O’Donnell, bigger than life, braver than a lion, saviour of others’ lives, holder of the George Medal – posthumously awarded to him today a bar to that award. A most gallant gentleman; I only wish I had had the privilege to have met him.

To those who returned: these young people are splendid company. Tough as nails, they do get knocked on their backsides every so often but they do not lie there and whine that life is unfair, they get up, dust themselves off and get on with it.

They are the British Armed Forces; they defend this realm and our way of life, they are made of sterner stuff and when asked will call out whomever, whenever onto whatever field of battle they choose and gladly. Look no further for your 21st Century role models; these are your real heroes: they live amongst you, they defend you and your right to freedom and the freedom of those less fortunate than you. There are none better and I would wish to work with none other.

They are drawn from across this nation and from regiments steeped in history from Scotland, Ireland, England and Wales. Colour or creed matters not, but mark this, they are of the right stuff. If you want to see all that is good, all that is great in this nation of ours and its Armed Forces look no further than on the pages of the operational awards you are about to print and be humbled. But remember also that what is listed here are those individuals who were seen on the field of battle and their actions recorded – there are quite literally hundreds who were not.

They make up our ranks, they are no less brave, they have done and continue to do their duty. As Field Marshal Montgomery recalled “every one an emperor.†I salute them and those here, their courage and their sacrifice. I have a soldier’s deep respect for the awards they have received and know only too well that they have been won by iron hearts in wooden ships.

Waspie

War Hero
Perhaps our ministers speech writers could borrow some of the gusto from that.

Instead our politicians will have there monologues drafted my leftie conchies with little or no backbone for social conscience.

Glad you posted the speech, every word true. It's about time that we as a nation stood up and applauded our servicemen and their efforts.

Thanks Igu, indeed it was a stirring speech to help offset the damage done by the muslim minority in Luton.
It would be hoped that relatives of those killed in action see this.

come_the_day

Lantern Swinger
Tim Collins' pre GW2 speech and this one back-to-back show that the art of the stirring spoken word is not dead - despite all the efforts of our school and university educators!

ChrisW

Midshipman
come_the_day said:
Tim Collins' pre GW2 speech and this one back-to-back show that the art of the stirring spoken word is not dead - despite all the efforts of our school and university educators!

Their's nuthink rong wit skool and uni edjukators! i learnt all my literrary skillz from them!

But seriously, great speech, I got goosebumps just reading it.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS HOW A CENTURY OLD SPOON LED TO THE MILITARY BURIAL OF AN ESSEX SOLDIER WHO DIED IN THE GREAT WAR MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Two unknown soldiers given military burial a century after their deaths in the Great War MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Two unknown soldiers given military burial a century after their deaths in the Great War MoD News 0
chieftiff Great Military Poetry Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 60
MoD_RSS Avian Influenza incursion risk raised to high in Great Britain MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech to Great Northern Conference MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Security operative saves suicidal man on Great Yarmouth beach MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Protecting human rights and ensuring regional cooperation in the Great Lakes Region MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Making the Civil Service a Great Place to Work for Veterans MoD News 0
D South Africa. Used to be a great run ashore for us--Now! Diamond Lil's 9
MoD_RSS Great Yarmouth Third River Crossing project granted development consent MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Calls to end ‘blight’ of graffiti on roads and railways as part of Great British September Clean MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Pond project pays off for great crested newts in Essex MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Waste crime taskforce conducts raid on site in Great Harwood, Lancashire MoD News 0
Sumo Great sporting moments Diamond Lil's 8
MoD_RSS Traffic Commissioners for Great Britain publish 2019-20 annual report MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Permit granted for next stage in Hoveton Great Broad restoration MoD News 0
MoD_RSS More than 10,000 fish released into the Great Ouse MoD News 0
MoD_RSS GREAT partners competition to bring ‘Magic of Live Events’ online MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Eels have arrived at the Great Ouse MoD News 0
soleil Portsmouth News: "34 Great Old Photos Of The Famous Royal Navy Aircraft Carrier HMS Hermes" The Fleet 1
MoD_RSS Government to safeguard vital Great Britain-Northern Ireland air links MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Positive progress in the Great Lakes Region must continue despite Covid-19 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Rail stations across Great Britain receive £20 million funding boost for accessibility improvements MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British High Commission brings The Great Debate to Faisalabad MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British High Commission brings The Great Debate to Karachi MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British High Commission brings the Great Debate to Islamabad MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Treorchy crowned "UK's best" in the Great British High Street Awards MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British High Commission brings the Great Debate to Balochistan MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Great Yarmouth £40m tidal defence project gets underway MoD News 0
MoD_RSS River Great Ouse gets Christmas present with fish restocking MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Funding boost for the great British pub MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British High Commission launches The Great Debate in Lahore MoD News 0
L I'm trying to find information on my Great Grandfather. Nearest & Dearest 2
MoD_RSS Traffic Commissioners for Great Britain publish 2018-19 annual report MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Addressing the root causes of conflict in the Great Lakes Region MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK trade envoy to Lebanon: Great potential for business MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Highways England statement following publication of DfT’s Reported road casualties in Great Britain: 2018 report MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Great Britain and China Are Global Partners MoD News 0
janner The Great Bus Pass Adventure. Charity 0
MoD_RSS Major demolition milestone at HS2’s Old Oak Common site as Great Western sheds cleared MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Great British High Street Awards 2019 judges revealed MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Recovered appeals: land at Chiswick Roundabout, Junction of Gunnersbury Avenue Great West Road, London W4 (ref: 3180962 & 3173208 - 19 July 2019) MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: A great place to work MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Great Yarmouth Third River Crossing application MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Launch of Great British High Street Awards 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: £40m Great Yarmouth flood defence upgrade set to start MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Graves of Two Kent Soldiers Identified a Century After Their Deaths in the Great War MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: The grave of Private Frederick Foskett, Lancashire Fusilier, killed during the Great War rededicated a century later MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Sherwood Forester and an unknown soldier buried 100 years after their deaths in the great war MoD News 0