Great Britons

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by Blackrat, Jan 22, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

This country is in shit state, no mistake. However, let us not forget that in these fair isles, we have produced some heroes, legends, world leaders and complete fuckwitts. We should celebrate this to the max to cheer us all up. I'll go first with this bloke:

Sir Ranulph Twisleton-Wykeham-Fiennes, 3rd Baronet, OBE (born 7 March 1944), better known as Ranulph (Ran) Fiennes, is an English adventurer and holder of several endurance records.

Fiennes served in the British army for eight years including a period on counter-insurgency service while attached to the army of the Sultanate of Oman. He then undertook numerous expeditions including being the first man to visit both the north and south poles by surface means and the first man to completely cross Antarctica on foot.

Fiennes has written books about his army service and his expeditions as well as a book defending Robert Falcon Scott from modern revisionists. In May 2009, aged 65, he climbed to the summit of Mount Everest. According to the Guinness Book of World Records he is the world's greatest living adventurer.

Complete head the ball and legend in my opinion.
  2. Agree BR read a couple of his books one was "The Set" and one about his time in Oman during and after the insurgency, both true stories I believe fcuking heed the ball :D
  3. He also alleged that Mike Kealy didn't die of exposure but was hit by an Arab terrorist - Numpty
  4. Blackrat

One for Bergan:

Rick Jolly. For those not in the know, read the book "The Red & Green Life Machine"

As Senior MO of 3 Commando Brigade RM, Rick was Brigadier Julian Thompson's staff medical adviser, but at the same time was also OC Medical Squadron of the Commando Logistic Regiment RM, and thus personally involved with care of the wounded. Despite dust, dirt, poor lighting and the presence of two unexploded bombs in the Field Hospital at Ajax Bay, only three of the 580 British soldiers and Royal Marines wounded in action during the land battles subsequently died of their wounds.

This fantastic Wounded In Action (580 WIA) to Died Of Wounds (3 DOW) conversion ratio has become the standard against which all future battlefield medical support should be judged.

His subsequent OBE in the South Atlantic Honours List was matched by the opposition in 1998, when he was visiting Argentina with HRH The Prince of Wales; having prepared and sent ahead a list of Argentine casualties, he asked the authorities there what had become of them. As a result, the Argentine Foreign Ministry discovered the truth about the battlefield medical care of their wounded, invited over fifty of them to the ceremony in Buenos Aires - and then appointed him as an Oficial (Officer) in the Orden de Majo (Order of May) in recognition.

Her Majesty The Queen personally authorized him to wear the insignia of this decoration 'on all occasions', which he now does - on behalf of about three hundred British Naval, Royal Marines and Army medics who were also involved.

5. Read "Medic" about Rick Jolly, bloody moving stuff.
  6. Great idea for a thread, I've always admired this fella's work:

7. Sod any reference to nobility; can we concentrate on the ordinairy man jack in the steet that has done the country a power of good. Trust me, you will find thousands of them.
  8. Blackrat

Why not. 2DD is on the right track. The greats in this thread do not have to be heroes either.
  9. This chap gets my vote:
  10. I will go out and when I have consumed a quantity of Catalunyas finest :roll: . will then deign to reply....and I agree wholeheartedly (fuck me and they say the Spanish run words together) agree....
  11. Not to mention:

Sir Humphrey Davy
    Michael Faraday
    John Dalton
    Henry Cavendish
    Joseph Priestley
    Sir Isaac Newton
    Robert Hooke
    Robert Boyle
    Edmund Halley
    Sir Richard Woolley
    Frank Dyson
    Sir Robert Winston
    Sir George Porter
    Sir Alexander Fleming
    Howard Florey
    Horatio Nelson
    Sir Archie McIndoe
    Florence Nightingale
    Fred Hoyle
    Sir John Fieldhouse
    Sandy Woodward
    Michael LeFanu
    Stephen Hawking
    Roger Penrose
    etc.,etc., etc............
  12. Donald Campbell has always been a hero of mine.

If I had the money I would go for the water speed record which was set at 318 mph in 1978 by Aussie, Ken Warby. Campbell was actually travelling faster than this when he died on Coniston Water, but the record was never set due to him and his boat disintegrating when it flipped over.

The record has an 85% fatality rate, but with today's modern advances in technology and CAD, not to mention ejector seats which Campbell's boat didn't have, I believe it is achievable.
  13. It was an honour to meet him when he did my medical last month. Really sound, funny man.
  14. It hurts me to do this. A member of nobility, a matelot and a porridge muncher:-

Admiral of the United Kingdom, Admiral of the Red, Lord Thomas Cochrane, 10th Earl of Dundonald, Marquess do Maranhão.

15. Blackrat

And these loonies. I give you The Goons:

16. Peter Sellers may be the finest actor and entertainer this country has ever produced.
  17. Blackrat

And now for something completely different.....

(Can we include Gilliam, him being a spam?)
  18. You forgot to mention he was also in the SAS, though was kicked out for stealing explosives or something crazy like that lol

If I remember right