Grateful for help, please.

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by ltnaltg, Feb 27, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The young son (16) of a friend of mine is v interested in joining the RM as soon as old enough. He lives in North Wales (nr Caernarfon) and isn't easily able to get to a recruiting office and doesn't know anyone nearby who can give him some much-needed advice. Does anyone know anyone (either serving or recently ex-RM) who lives near there, by any chance? This lad would really appreciate meeting up with/talking to someone who knows what they're talking about for half-an-hour to an hour! Many thanks.

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Appreciate it's a fair distance, but there are Royal Marines Acquaint Days in Liverpool, usually one a month and all the serving Royal Marines from the North West usually attend, so there's plenty of opportunity to have a chat & fire away with a raft of questions.

Obviously Wrexham is your nearest AFCO, but not sure if there are any loan RM's serving there at present, give them a call to ask;
    01978 263334.

Failing that there are a couple of Royal Marines working at Liverpool AFCO: 0151 707 3432

Not a Royal Marine myself but have helped run the Potential Royal Marines Forum for the last 5 years, so can answer most questions with a fair degree of accuracy (for a matelot).

3. Hi itnaltg

Welcome to Rum Ration

Ask your friend's son to start by using the search facility in this website. There is loads of info available on here and pretty much every question possible has been asked by someone at sometime. A good starting point for your friends son to begin using his initiative. If he has a question that is not locatable through the search facility then post in on here

i hope this helps

4. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Welcome to Rum Ration also, shippers!

No doubt there will be plenty of advice volunteered from members here, but if you receive any PMs from JonnoJonno, Blackrat, Monty, 2DD or ****, be very careful - they have a history of grooming (irrespective of gender...) :shock: :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Very many thanks for the tips, guys - most useful.

6. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Oi. I'm actually quite helpful as it goes on other forums (not that i know anything about the Navy mind). However, if people stray into Lil's.....

7. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

I joined the Corps at 16, Yeah, Probably not a poster boy for junior thrusters. It's hard as ****, harder than a hard thing being hard. I wouldn't recommend it. Wait until your body matures a bit.

8. Blackrat

On the subject of the Booties, BBC I Player is showing repeats of Behind the Lines from 1985. I remember watching it the first time round. It's a bit dated, but still worth a watch (for those interested in the MAWC).

For those interested in something completely different, they have also got the 1980's series "The Paras" on there as well. ;P

9. The BBC has been putting various series on this theme into a little collection:

BBC Four - Collections - Army: A Very British Institution

10. Blackrat