Grapple squadron.

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by (granny), Aug 1, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

Anyone out there who was part of the 'Grapple Squadron' in the 50's. I've been looking for the Squadron tie but can't find one. It was quite an experience watching 'Grapple 'Y' go off.

2. Calm down Granny, watch the old blood pressure I'm recommending your GP. doubles your dose of Rispiridone. Let Angry Doc know when things settle down. :lol:
    I

3. (granny)

4. Oh, I see.

We'll have to look around for one then.

5. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Recall a friend of mine wearing the one Granny is referring to, with the Grapple emblem on it.

6. Seaweed

Would it be possible for you to find out where the tie came from?

7. You'll find a tie I'm sure but shouldn't you be concentrating on more important matters as a Grapple Veteran?
    The High Court awaits MOD's response to its Class Action judgement.
    It looks as if Bob Ainsworth will be back in court shortly suggesting that as the Porton Down debacle was volunteers only so was the British Nuclear Tests.
    Can't speak for you ,but all on board my ship thought they were off for a couple of years normal service in the South Pacific
    Nuclear Test volunteering?--The ship would never have cleared the Breakwater. Certainly I wouldn't have been aboard

8. (granny)

I don't know what ship you were on or if you took part in Operation 'Grapple'. You say you can't speak for me but you suggest that I should concentrate on 'more important' matters. As you don't know me, my circumstances or my beliefs, keep your insulting opinions to yourself.

9. Ignore him Granny.....this is Normans latest incarnation. :roll:

10. (granny)

Cheers Stirling. I couldn't help myself.

11. granny

Have you seen all the pages relevant to this period on the Christmas Island website?

12. (granny)

I can't say All, but have read quite a number.

13. I did notice that it has a guestbook, but very few of the guys who have left their details in it seem to have been with the RN.

Is this the time when you were serving on HMS Cavalier, granny?

14. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Sorry Soleil, the tie I referred to was obtained ca.1957-8 so info on wherever it came from - Gieves? Bernards? Naafi? isn't likely to be much use now.

15. (granny)

You are correct Sir. She was the finest ship that I had the privilege to serve on.
    I never felt that I had a place amongst the other lads, ie Army and RAF, who spent so much time there. I only witnessed the one H bomb burst, Grapple Y. Unlike lots of those men I haven't had any trauma as a result of this episode.

16. (granny)

17. There's a fine photograph of Cavalier underway in Lt Cmd Gerry Wright's book "We were there"
    It was taken by the author from HMNZS Rotoiti