Grandpa's Navy pictures - WW2 era

Discussion in 'History' started by Jenny_Dabber, Apr 9, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Right all,

My grandpa was a leading gunner 'back in the day'. I was going through some old possesions of his yesterday and came across a few photos of him in his RN days and thought you lot might appreciate seeing them.

My Grandpa (Don Jack) is the tall guy wearing a headset

Grandpa is the 3rd from the right, at the back;

I knew he played football for the RN or his ship, not too sure which one. I have pictures of him playing the army in footie, with the white house in the back ground. I also have pictures of him with the navy lads, on a train, going across India. Now, would anyone know, why 30 odd matelots would travel across India, whilst their ship is sailing round there?
  2. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

A POSSIBILITY only that a draft for the various craft used in support of ops in Burma would have been decanted from a trooper in Bombay and then sent on by train to wherever. I had however always supposed that these craft were RIN manned .. it's quite a challenge trying to find out what happened to a particular individual among the half-million or more who served in the RN 1939-45. Try Vets Agency db for a lead on how to send for his papers & ??? claim medals if he didn't. Replies will take months but the wheels do go round eventually. Good hunting.
  3. my grandpa again;

this photo had my gran's name on it, i know she was a wren, maybe her passing out ceremony???
  4. which one is she JD?

5. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

The one on the left is the Duchess of Kent, sister in law of G VI.
  6. That's the thing, she isn't in the photo here. I remb my gran telling me a royal would attend the passing out parades back then.

Just had my gran's name on the back of the photo.