Grandpa's Navy pictures - WW2 era

Discussion in 'History' started by Jenny_Dabber, Apr 9, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Right all,

My grandpa was a leading gunner 'back in the day'. I was going through some old possesions of his yesterday and came across a few photos of him in his RN days and thought you lot might appreciate seeing them.

My Grandpa (Don Jack) is the tall guy wearing a headset
    [​IMG]

Grandpa is the 3rd from the right, at the back;
    [​IMG]

I knew he played football for the RN or his ship, not too sure which one. I have pictures of him playing the army in footie, with the white house in the back ground. I also have pictures of him with the navy lads, on a train, going across India. Now, would anyone know, why 30 odd matelots would travel across India, whilst their ship is sailing round there?

2. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

A POSSIBILITY only that a draft for the various craft used in support of ops in Burma would have been decanted from a trooper in Bombay and then sent on by train to wherever. I had however always supposed that these craft were RIN manned .. it's quite a challenge trying to find out what happened to a particular individual among the half-million or more who served in the RN 1939-45. Try Vets Agency db for a lead on how to send for his papers & ??? claim medals if he didn't. Replies will take months but the wheels do go round eventually. Good hunting.

3. my grandpa again;
    [​IMG]

this photo had my gran's name on it, i know she was a wren, maybe her passing out ceremony???
    [​IMG]

4. which one is she JD?

:w00t:

5. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

The one on the left is the Duchess of Kent, sister in law of G VI.

6. That's the thing, she isn't in the photo here. I remb my gran telling me a royal would attend the passing out parades back then.

Just had my gran's name on the back of the photo.