GRANDADS ROCKING CHAIR

SALTY

Midshipman

There's an old rocking chair that stands in the corner, it certainly has pride of place
When I think back to the days of my childhood, I can remember my old grandad's face
He used to sit for hours and hours, just rocking the chair to and fro
With a pair of old slippers adorning his feet, face red in the firelight glow.

There wasn't much hair on the top of his head, but what he had was a halo of white
A walrus moustache under a bulbous nose, in his mouth an old clay pipe.
Dark brown eyes peered out from a craggy face beneath a beatled brow,
That was often creased in laughter, I swear I can still hear him now

Dressed in an old grey shirt and black trousers with a wide thick belt around his waist
A large mug of tea in his toil worn hands, with two sugars, just to his taste.
I remember the times when I sat upon his knee
He told me some wonderful stories of his life whilst at sea.

He told of tall Clipper ships with white billowing sails,
Of fighting with sharks and wrestling with whales.
The giant water spouts and the fierce monsoon,
How he walked to the North Pole and was first on the Moon.

He's climbed the mighty Everest, caught tigers in Bengal
Helped to build the Pyramids in Egypt and dived over Niagara Falls.
Yes I remember my grandad and the wonderful tales that he told
Of the days when he was younger, so brave and true and bold.

You may think that these are tales made up to amuse a child upon his knee,
But I know that they are gospel, because my old grandad told me.
I swear that old rocking chair's moving, I wonder could it be the draught?
Or could it be the ghost of my old grandad, coming back just for a laugh!

some old Seamans tales huh :) SALTY

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F Looking for information about Grandads pre-war ship service record... Can anyone help? History 8
slim Ask the Grandads...............Unbiased advice from RRs Old Men Diamond Lil's 72
MoD_RSS New Ofsted chair announced MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Robin Budenberg, CBE re-appointed as Chair of The Crown Estate Board MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The Secretary of State has appointed John Mothersole as the England Chair of the National Lottery Community Fund. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The Secretary of State has appointed Kate Still as the Scotland Chair of the National Lottery Community Fund. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Recruitment starts for new EHRC Chair and board members MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Home Secretary welcomes new chair of the MAC MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Letter from Secretary of State to Chair of Transport Select Committee MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Letter to the Chair of PACAC about the CSPL review of electoral regulation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Chancellor announces Richard Hughes as preferred Chair of the Office for Budget Responsibility MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Clive Dix appointed Deputy Chair of the UK's Vaccine Taskforce MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Extension of Sally Cheshire’s appointment as Interim Chair of Cafcass MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Letter from the Prime Minister to the Chair of the Public Inquiry into the Grenfell Tower fire MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Dr Ros Rivaz appointed as new Chair of the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The Secretary of State has appointed Nick de Bois as Chair of the Visit England Advisory Board. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The Secretary of State has appointed Rt Hon Sir Patrick McLoughlin CH as Chair of the British Tourist Authority. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Stephen Gibson appointed as RPC interim chair MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Kate Bingham appointed chair of UK Vaccine Taskforce MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Clare Chapman appointed Chair of Acas MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Helen Chamberlain appointed as interim chair of the Independent Family Returns Panel MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Former head of RAF to be appointed chair of the UK Civil Aviation Authority MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Non-Executive appointment to MOJ Departmental Board and Chair of Audit and Risk Committee MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Former chair of ABI to lead flood insurance review MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Appointment of Keith Fraser as Chair of the Youth Justice Board for England and Wales. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Correspondence between PSPRB Chair and Prisons Minister: 2020 England and Wales written evidence and submission MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Secretary of State appoints Paul Darling OBE QC as Chair and Anne Lambert CMG as an Independent Board Member of the Horserace Betting Levy Board. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Secretary of State Appoints Rhodri Williams as S4C Chair MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Lord Pickles appointed as Advisory Committee on Business Appointments Chair MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK becomes co-chair of India-led global climate initiative MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Home Secretary welcomes interim chair of the MAC MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Nicholas Saphir appointed as new Chair for the AHDB MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Peter Lauener appointed Chair of the Student Loans Company MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Lord Pickles recommended to chair the Advisory Committee on Business Appointments MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Christine Elliott appointed interim Chair of College of Policing MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM to chair COBR meeting on the coronavirus outbreak MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Sally Cheshire CBE appointed as Interim Chair of Cafcass MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Letter from the Chancellor to the Chair of the OBR MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Applications invited for the role of Chair of the MHRA MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Letter to The Times from Emma Howard Boyd, Chair of the Environment Agency MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Sir Brendan Barber's term as Chair of Acas extended by 6 months MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Letter to The Telegraph from Emma Howard Boyd, Chair of the Environment Agency MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Tony Burton CBE appointed as Interim Chair of the National Lottery Community Fund. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New Parole Board Vice Chair MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Appointment of new Vice Chair of the Parole Board MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Sir William Worsley appointed as Forestry Commission Chair MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Professor Andrew Wathey CBE appointed interim Chair of the Student Loans Company MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Secretary of State announces re-appointment of Independent Reviewer and Chair of the Northern Ireland Committee on Protection MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Migration Advisory Committee Chair extends term MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Chancellor launches search for the next Chair of the Office for Budget Responsibility MoD News 0