Grand Harbour

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by Seaweed, May 5, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

This is USS JFK being berthed in Grand Harbour (Malta for young chaps who like to be told things):

[​IMG]

The buoys have gone, no more from passing the mole to secured fore and aft in the flagship berth in 8 minutes flat, under the eagle eye of CinC, ladders, boats, booms and awnings out smartly at the 'G'. Ahhh! spotless ice-cream suit, bone-white teak and gleaming brightwork under a sun-bleached awning -

And those bars along the front where they served a fryup always with wilting wet lettuce, under the unflinching gaze of such as 'the Masters at Arms of the Mediterranean Fleet, 1921' in framed sepia group photographs -

Diso!

2. Always used to have an egg sarny from the dreadnought bar after a night down the gut before getting the dghaiso (spelling) back to other side and trying not to fall in the harbour :lol:

3. I've just driven up from Grand Harbour and it isn't there now. Unless security have dictated that the new fangled "cloaking device" thingy is turned on and turned it into the "Norwegian Gem"! :)

4. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

I spy the Barracca gardens in the background. Where's the lift gone? Oh! how well I remember the pipe 'Out booms and ladders'. You've sent me into a nostalgic mode now.

5. (granny)

I spy the Barracca gardens in the background. Where's the lift gone? Oh! how well I remember the pipe 'Out booms and ladders'. You've sent me into a nostalgic mode now.

6. (granny)

Oh! fcuk it, I've pressed the wrong button..again!

7. Seaweed

Pay attention to detail! Try dwelling a pause of two marching paces between keystrokes ..

8. I went back there a few years ago and the lift is long gone. You can still see where it was and there are bits of ironmongery sticking out of the wall that used to hold it up. The Vernon Club was still there just outside the gardens but it's a financial institution of some sort now and most of the gut was a shadow of its former self - except right down at the bottom where it was still abit rough looking. Didn't go down there in case I got recognised ... :)

9. Are you trying to say it was actually held up by something. I thought it was just balanced and leaning against the side. :)

10. http://www.maltavista.net/en/list/photo/164.html

11. Seaweed

DGHAISA is how it's spelt. Maltese has a weird spelling visited on it by the Governor Strickland in the 1920s - until he came along it was not a written language. So we get Marsaxlokk etc. I think it's a problem with transliterating that strange hacking sound that Arabs make.

12. shitta in like pissing it down

13. Remember in 63 waiting at the bottom of Barraka lift for it to come down. It had got three quarters of the way up and stopped and the driver couldn't get it to start again so a Yank who was in the lift opened the door and shinned up the metal work to the top. Nutter!!
    From that day on I always walked up thru the gardens etc .

14. Those phots brought back some memories. First time I got on the bus and a kid asked me for money and I told him to fcuk off, I didn't know he was the conductor 8O. Took the missus there on holiday and went down the gut (during the day) and she said what so special about this street, If only she knew :oops:

15. My father was on the ship (forget the name) that took the King to Malta to give them the George Cross..
    There was a bit of a performance getting the barge alongside and the king looked over the side to see what was going on. All his medals slipped off and are now at the bottom of the harbour somewhere (along with the steward :lol: ).
    He lined up the ships officers and cherry picked medals as he went along.

16. I have fond memories of the buses .When we go there on holiday we use them a lot

17. If you hire a car here or bring your own, expect the buses to pull out on you at junctions, bus stops and roundabouts. If they use their indicators then that is worthy of having a toast that evening as the event is rather rare.

18. Which side of the road do the Maltese drive on? Why the shady side of course...