Grand Canyon chopper crash 2018.

percy1

5 British tourists were killed in a chopper accident.
Coroners report makes for interesting reading:-
CORONER’S CONCERNS During the inquest the evidence revealed matters giving rise to concern. In my opinion there is a risk that future deaths will occur unless action is taken. In the circumstances it is my statutory duty to report to you. The MATTERS OF CONCERN are as follows. – 1. The current requirements are laid out in EASA Certification Specification CS 27-952 for small rotorcraft and CS 29-952 for large rotorcraft, these regulations have been adopted by the UK. These requirements do not appear to be fit for purpose as they do not require retrofit to all previously certified rotorcraft. 2. EASA issued a safety bulletin No 2017-18R1 (updated on January 2021) this document states “EASA consider that the installation of any of the modifications listed in Table 1 (of the SIB) for AS 350/ EC 130 in service aircraft will reduce the risk of post crash-fires and contribute to increase the occupant escape time after survival. However, there is no mandatory requirement for the CRFS to be fitted on aircraft. 3. Flying in both small and large rotorcraft that have not been fitted with CRFS, either at initial build or as a retrofit, adds significant risk to the occupants in the event of a crash which disrupts the fuel system. 4. There is nothing in place to mandate the fitting of CRFS as a retrofit and so the risk of post-crash fire in non-CRFS fitted helicopters remains very high with the likelihood of loss of life 5. For the public there does not appear to be any way of knowing whether a particular aircraft has been fitted with the CRFS as there is no central register which records this. The public cannot therefore make an informed 3 decision as to whether to fly on that aircraft. 6. There are still aircraft flying in UK airspace without CRFS which poses a high risk to occupants of the aircraft. 7. These aircraft also pose a risk to the general public who could find themselves in close proximity to an aircraft that has crashed where a fire occurs. 8. Serious consideration needs to given to the issuing of an airworthiness directive to prevent further tragedies, similar to this case happening again. ACTION SHOULD BE TAKEN In my opinion action should be taken to prevent future deaths

Latest Threads