gps app map my run inaccurate

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by cobs2012, Oct 7, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

Just went for a run and put on map my run app on my phone, I've found it very inaccurate on mapping my runs has anyone found out this or is it just me. It said on my phone that I had ran 1.1 miles in 10 minutes 10 seconds and got annoyed and stopped because I know I can do better got home and found it to be 1.3 miles when i drew it out on the map my run website.

Thank you sorry for the bad spelling and grammar,

Chris Cobban

2. I think it sometimes depends on gps signal, the same route often comes out with differing distances for me as well. I still use mine to keep track of my runs but usually do longer distances or interval outside and just do the 2.4km on a treadmill now and then to see how its going- and occassionally outside on a route i know is 1.5 miles to test it on an outside route like at prnc and raleigh.

Not sure if there are any ways to 'fix' it and make it more accurate, which app in particular are you using? I find Nike+ pretty good.

3. I'm using mapmyrun it just p**sed me off, I was just going to up my pace so I could do it under 11:30 but got annoyed and someone nearly ran me over so had to slow down and just stopped at the 1.3 mile mark.

Thank you I'll try that one,

Chris Cobban

4. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Mine matches my mates Garmin gps watch when we run together. No issues with transferring run onto website. Pre-planned online routes have matched app on completion.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

5. Thats good !! Been reading it could be anything that could interfere with the gps signal trees wifi all sorts so im just going to pre map it on map my run and use a stopwatch I think.

6. I wasn't a big fan of mapmyrun, tried it for a bit but found it somewhat annoying to use! Nike+ keeps a nice record of them all as well, satisfying to see improvements. I joined a running club for a bit to get an idea of routes and their distances which sometimes i do as well. Quite often i just use time as a measure really, training for a half marathon and i hate to think how far i am actually running, in my mind its quite far haha.

I miss my garmin watch, have a polar ft4 for monitoring heart rate which in essence is pretty pointless but i feel athletic wearing it anyway :D

7. Didn't need a gps when we had to run 9 times round the hangar for the 1.5 miler at Lee on Solent!

Spoilt these days :)

8. iPhone and android GPS is dogshit. I use Strava occasionally when riding my bike, saturday's 40 miler was uploaded as a 66 miler with 65,522 feet of climbing with an average speed of 28mph and a top speed of 160mph. Needless to say, if I was that good I'd be winning the Tour De France at a canter.

Garmin is the future.

• Like Like x 1
  9. redmonkey

redmonkey Badgeman Book Reviewer

Those were the days. Enjoyed the runs down on LoS sea front. I always tried to push up the pace as I hate running slowly.
    I didn't like the pti making us do the run on the shingle beach.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app

10. OMM

OMM War Hero

I've ran with the Nike+ app on iPhone for just under 2 years and it's been faultless for a free app.

11. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

You must be knackered though

• Like Like x 2