Discussion in 'The Corps' started by D_B_D, Nov 13, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. bit of a weird question.
    i swear down i read somewhere about the technique of firing the GPMG skywards to reign lead down on a position calculated, often many a mile away. i also thought i read it on the royal marine website..

i take physics, and know about the coreolis effect, spin of the earth etc. and therefore i know that to get a 7.62mm round a few miles away on a raghead would be know easy task.

can anyone provide a link, or get me abit more detail on what i heard?

much appreciated!
  2. i believe it may have been called map predicted firing?
  3. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Glad your not taking English... :wink:

I presume your talking about firing the GPMG in the SF role. In a nut shell aim high, then aim off to take the wind into account.

"A few miles" may be wishful thinking.
  4. It's called "map predicted fire" and it's theoretically viable out to 2500 metres. Lay on with C2 sight and firing tables, then have an observer call back corrections.

Notionally useful if the enemy's dug into fortifications or otherwise immobile, but chews through a busload of ammunition and needs multiple guns firing to be particularly effective.

Discussed over at Arrse linky
  5. As the others mentioned and also the GPMG is designed not to be accurate so when the lead is pouring down it creates a ''beating zone'' which in a nut shell means a given area is getting ripped up.
  6. One last thing i herd that a US Marine or maybe US Army sniper got a comfirmed kill in Iraq approx 1 mile (1600m) and the target was running, has anyone else herd this ''rumour'' , i my self have been taught as a long range rifleman on the .308 (condensed sniper course) and it could be quite plausable but you would have to be very experienced. If so can any one provide a link, or just provide a link on the longest kill ever recorded.
  7. :roll:
  8. wet_blobby

Ahh, but I'm not a student, in fact I left school long before the standards started improving.

Anyway you pedantic cnut, want to add anything about a GPMG, or even know what one is?
  9. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

S'like a MILF, but rougher, innit? (Good at distance, but horrible at close range...) :twisted:
  10. wet_blobby

Fair one SPB. :lol:

and that is one hell of a sniper shot.
  11. General Purpose Machine Gun. Big guns.
  12. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Just shut up. Now. Please, for the love of God, just shut up... :cry:
  13. wet_blobby

How can you class a section fire support weapon as a big gun?

Get your arrse down to the Imperial war museum, stand outside it. What you see there I'd call a big gun.
  14. Don't really give a toss to be perfectly frank :lol:
  15. wet_blobby

*sigh* Stay in the newbies section handing out hard earned advice to potential recruits. :roll:
  16. Map predicted fire.

Had a go at this once with fairly un-impressive results, I'm sure with plenty of practice and enough guns it can be quite effective, unfortunately we had some biff instructor who I'm pretty sure was just making it up as he went along.
  17. I'm afraid that you have been told porkies there squire. Not your fault as there are a miriad of old wives' tales going around regarding most military hardware. This nonsense started back with the Bren where people were told it was so accurate the bullets went through the same hole, so the muzzle was reprofiled to allow for scatter.

No matter who told you, be it a bit scary bootneck DS or a drunk Cadet Instructor, it's total rubbish. Not aimed at you mate, just correcting a much repeated untruth.
  18. And you stay here with your fictitious accounts of my current forum activity.
  19. Say what now?

I think that you mean 'beaten zone'. That doesn't mean that a given area is ripped up; it means on a fixed azimuth the fall of shot variation [lowest to highest] would hit a man standing on flat ground > linky

The GPMG is extremely accurate, particularly if it has a good barrel, is in SF mode, has the gas regulator cranked down and you are firing double taps. Even on the bipod it's good. It does become slightly innacurate if your name's Rambo and you fire it from the hip with one hand.

Lead doesn't pour down and most of the times I have patrolled with a GPMG I have used a magazine on it.

In SF role the GPMG is easy to use on obscured targets providing the dial-sight has been set up properly but never ever would you use it for indirect [plunging] fire.

Plunging fire was the province of the Vickers and it was superb at it. Ranged out to 4500 yds [f*ck meters] using 8z ball ammo it was used against defiladed soft targets and was still getting it's licks in up to 1968.

In Flanders 10 Vickers from one of the machine-gun battalions fired over 1000,000 rounds in a single engagement without a stoppage [that's not a typo].

Range firing GPMG's up around Gagetown we burnt out most of the Troop's 18 barrels in two days, despite barrel rotations every 200 rounds..