Government admits to 200 more laptop thefts.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by NotmeChief, Feb 20, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Scary.

The article drew a comparison with the private sector:

"Although the laptop thefts and losses in the public sector appear high, security experts claim the situation is just as bad in the private sector."

But of course the difference is that if the bank looses your details it is a pain, but your life is not at stake.

Has anyone had the details of the data loss yet?? I sent off my proof of ID over 4 weeks ago...and have heard nothing.
  2. Oh industry loses them too, but at least ours here have encrypted hard drives
  3. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

If one is in uniform one has the cost of lost Govt property docked from one's pay. Civil servants on the other hand appear to be under no discipline whatever regarding public property placed in their charge. So, naturally, as individuals they don't give a hoot when they lose a laptop. From top to bottom NOBODY CARES because no-one has any personal responsibility. Only Govt can change this. And while they are at it they might like to remind the Civil Service that its members are not exempt from the Data Protection Act.
  4. The scary thing is "Not me Chief"'s little gizmo telling me all about my computer !!!
  5. Probably worth pimping the thread related to that this morning, here