Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, I think I know I shouldn't rely on the word of an Internet forum for medical advice but I'm going to anyway... I had an acute gout attack around a year ago, I am wondering if this would bar me from naval service? I am aware chronic gout is enough to stop me but I don't feel like this is the case as I had a sore toe for around three days and haven't had a symptom since. I have to decide at work if I want to put myself for a course that leaves me tied to my trust for the next 5 years or so but wouldn't be able to get myself in front of a navy doc before the decision has to be made so I figured this was my best hope of getting a likely answer before then.
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Obviously the only way to be certain is to apply and see what the medical examiner determines once in possession of your medical history relating to the condition at that point in the future.

In order to manage realistic aspirations from the outset, it is important you are made aware now that anything related to an arthritic disease is likely to be a significant issue affecting medical suitability for service.
  3. Thanks it's good to have an opinion of someone who isn't emotionally attached to the idea of me serving. I keep trying to invent some magical way that the rules wouldn't apply for me and everything will be fine.
  4. Ninja_Stoker

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Gout?
    Not for the Hoi Polloi---
    Look Aft
  8. Ninja_Stoker

Difficult things computers, eh?
    • Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1