Gotcha! Gaddafi Ventilated

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by SJRM_RN, Oct 20, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2011
  2. Good riddance and no trial to pay for either!
  3. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

And PM Cameron is hoping for a 'strong and democratic future' for Libya. Call me a cynic but Arabs don't have a good record doing democracy.

Now, if we are in the business of assisting to off nasty dictators, how about Syria and Zimbabwe? Cough, bluster, fart, evade, waffle...not our business.

The irony of the opera costumed Colonel being found hiding up a drain pipe is delicious.
  4. I feel sorry for his tailor.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Magda

Magda War Hero Book Reviewer

Despite the cost, I still think Gaddafi should have been tried by the ICC under internationally-governed laws. It would, to my mind, have given Libya legitimacy as a fledgling democratic country and demonstrated admirable restraint, fortitude and an adherence to the strictures they seem to want to be governed by.

On the other hand, this man and his family seem to have the blood of thousands on their hands, and so I can understand their need for revenge. I also understand that by removing the figurehead of the oppressive dictatorial regime which had ruled them for 42 years, they might well hope for a clean break. I fear though that they may have just made a martyr of him...

Only time will tell.
  6. I was one of those who predicted a protracted battle for control of Libya and rued the day David Cameron got us involved.I am very relieved that Gadaffi has gone and I suspect Cameron is too.Some on here are urging us to get involved elsewhere I say we should rest on our laurels and keep our noses out.
    I wish the Libyan people all the best with their newly found freedom and hope all the bloodshed has been worth it.
  7. Seadog

Libya isn't a signatory to the Rome Statute so question what if any jurisdiction the ICC would have. Summary execution is, for the likes of the (not a real) Colonel, justice. It doesn't look as if he went without kicking, screaming and shitting himself (as you would).

A BBC journo is saying Gaddafi was captured alive. Can one be captured dead or would someone merely find a dead body?
  8. [​IMG]

World police, **** YEAH!
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Seadog

fishead wrote
    If you are referring to my Zimbabwe / Syria comment, I am urging no such thing. Perhaps the layer of sarcasm was too thick.
  10. Awesome, the middle east is simply serving as a playground for western countries to try out new weapons. Not that thats a bad thing.

Here's something the aztecs could not have predicted. Bet you a tenner we spend the next 100 years kicking the crap out of the arse of the world.
  11. Magda

Magda War Hero Book Reviewer

I read somewhere a while back that elements within Libya wanted Gaddafi tried by the ICC, but of course you never can be sure who said what in these kinds of circumstances. I would have thought, and I'm merely guessing here, that the ICC would try a citizen from a non-signatory country at the request of that country's government?

However... if Gaddafi had not been killed but captured, the NTC could have established themselves, become a signatory at some point in the near future of the Rome Statute, and Gaddafi could potentially have been tried retroactively. Mind you, the legal ramifications of that can be huge (see the Eichmann Trial for evidence).
  12. Well. from some of the videoes that have been shown tonight it looks as if he got a right old kicking before somebody finally put him out of his misery.
    Shame really, as it would have been much better to see him hauled through a court and executed according to the rule of law; mind you, I bet Assad is crapping his pants now, eh?
  13. I'll take you up on that - we will need to arrange where to meet in 100 years to pay up on the bet though.
  14. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Mrs Seaweed said it was a dead Sirte.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

RIP, Bill - still relevant and ahead of his time. I would love to know his thoughts on the "War on Trrrssm" in the 21st Century... :cry:

• Like Like x 3
  16. Now we'll never know the Colonel's secret recipe.

17. Would say a few of our own senior civil servants and intelligence mandarins are breathing a sigh of relief that he got slotted before he could spill the beans in the Hague.
  18. I agree with you Sarks.
    I bet Bliar, Broon,Mandelbum and Andy Pandy are also breathing a sigh of relief.
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Now the NTC are fully in control, I wonder what deals are being made behind the scenes to make sure certain documents are shredded. The Gadfly must have kept shedloads of embarrassing paperwork squirrelled away as insurance.

Maybe why the US stood back!

Conspiracy theories start here.
  20. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

I'm uncomfortable about it. Not that he's dead, call me old fashioned but violent death is violent, it doesn't need screening around the world.

Some people need to smell, touch, and feel fear, blood and terror before making a comment. It's not a video game to be oggled and make smart quips about.

Well, that's my sensible post for the weekend, carry on, rip the p1ss out of me.