Got PRNC and Raleigh start date but got major problem.

Hi all,

I am meant to be going to Raleigh in March and im doing my PRNC 2 weeks before but i think i might be barred from entry now.

I was meant to do my PRNC in December but had to push it back because i keep getting shin splints in both legs that are impossible to run through.

My doctor sent me for X-rays and a MRI and told me to take 8 weeks off running incase it was a stress fracture but after 8 weeks i had the MRI and was given the all clear, but as soon as i went back to running the shin splints came back.

So i got sent to see a Podiatrist last week who told me i need insoles, although i don't think i'm flat footed.

So my question is, if the only way of getting ride of my shin splints is insoles am i completely fucked ?

I've been down the gym 6 days a week for the past 7 months training to join the Navy, i can piss any strength test they throw at me and the swim test is easy.

I don't really know what to do if i can't join the navy.

Are insoles a bar to entry in the RAF and Army ?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Prescribed insoles are unfortunately a bar to entry if on your medical record.

The good news is that they aren't if they are not on your medical records.

The bonkers aspect is if they need to be prescribed after you join, they are not always a reason for medical discharge if it cures the problem but, if there's a prior history, it could be a cause of medical discharge.

Once orthotics are prescribed by the service, even if not a reason for discharge...a person leaving after they are prescribed will be barred from re-entry.

Genghis

Lantern Swinger
I had a real bad case of shin splints a while ago and they just kept going away and coming back.
I didn't see a doctor because I didn't want it to mess with my chances of getting in the RN.
If medically prescribed insoles don't show on your med records (I'd check. Approach a doctor and ask if this appears on your medical records, if it doesn't its a win)
If you don't have tibial fractures then it's good. with shin splints the bio-mechanics or poor running shoes are the issue.

My experience,
A few years ago I got shin splints because I upped my running distance too dramatically and pushed too hard, my trainers were too old and I didn't renew them, that and my poor running form ended up in me getting a really painful case of shin splints.
When I rested, used ice compression wraps, massaged the shins and elevated them for prolonged periods they went away.
I started running again in new trainers (I still had poor running form) things felt good for a while, then they came back with a vengeance! hurt like buggery! I blamed the trainers (a poor workman blames his tools).
I bought insoles from Amazon, I can send you the link if you like?
Now they felt bad still but not as bad so that helped.

The root of this I later found out is that my form was atrocious! I kept getting Posterior tibial pain (inside of the shin near the ankle) this could be caused by a number of things, heel striking when running, low muscle quantity in the calves, not warming up and stretching and then warming down and stretching correctly or at all, hip alignment issues and generally bad bio-mechanics when running.

I've now fixed this and running a 10 minute mile or sub 10 minute mile is pain free (slight ache) but mainly pain free.
I still have / use the insoles because training with adequate support whilst recovering and or challenging yourself is important to prevent injury.

I now use strengthening exercises to improve flexibility and strength in my Posterior, Medial and Anterior Tibial muscles - this is done in the easiest and most convenient way with resistance bands, check out how to use them for this purpose on YouTube etc.

Even though it can be very boring, tedious and sometimes pre-exhaustive to do, always, always, always warm up, stretch appropriately, exercise responsibly and then warm down adequately followed by post exercise stretches *very important*

I have strengthened my calves a lot and strengthened my overall leg muscles and core *also very important as this helps keep your hip alignment in check*

I have also found that the Glute, Hams and calf muscles play a large part in keeping the other muscles in check so hill running, cycling, static rowing and swimming has been key to recovery and improvement for me personally.

Final thought is:
Try to not heel strike when running, try to hit mid foot or run with more emphasis on springy toe striking *the need for strong, toned calves comes into play here along with hill running*
Also, when striking the ground, try to not let the outside of the foot hit the deck first, this causes the foot to snap inwards sharply thus putting more strain on the posterior tibial muscle and tendons. In regards to placement, when either foot is behind you, to help train your brain to have correct form, try to imagine pushing off with your big toe as the foot rolls through the contact motion (I hope that makes sense) this also helps to reduce the foot slapping the ground too.

before a run (after you have rested up and recovered from the splints) take 2 Ibuprofen before a run because Ibuprofen is an anti-inflammatory and as soon as your home, have a couple of wet tea towels frozen ready application to wrap around your shins - dont take ibuprofen before every run as that's bad for you and your body will get used to it, run 1 day, then the next 2-3 days just do other low impact exercises (still use frozen wraps) and then go back to running, slowly increase distance over weeks gradually and slowly and then increase speeds, before you know it you will be able to perform sprints and normal long distance running with decent speeds and no medication.

I hope this helps? It certainly helped me!

Last edited:

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
So if i show up at Raleigh with Custom insoles as long as they aren't on my medical record it should be ok?
If you cannot undertake all elements of training from the outset without insoles, you will quite possibly be discharged for arriving with an undeclared pre-existing injury.

Best bet? Talk to your careers adviser if unsure.