Got my PJFT on Monday.....and I've buggered my knee!

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Gollum, Jul 21, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all,

I've got my PJFT on Monday morning (the very last thing I have left to do) and I've knackered my knee last night while running. I'm doing my 2.4km in about 12 mins although I did it last night in a dismal 13.47 (I need a 12.48 for my age group). I guess what I'm looking for is advice really as to weather or not it's a good idea to carry on with the phys before Monday. I've waited so long for this point so not doing it on Monday is simply not an option. I know I can do it, so should I just rest up until Monday and take ibuprofen and painkillers on the day, or should I carry on training?

It may seem like a completely bloody stupid question, but due to the poor time I put in last night, I don't want to screw it up on the day because I 'could have trained harder'!!

Thanks for any advice.

Gollum :thumright:
  2. Mate have a rest.You will not get any fitter between now and monday. On the day of your test you need to get up early and have a gentle stretch,just to make sure your knee is ready for it. I take it the test is to get in the RN? I dont mean to be rude but if your struggling to get sub 12mins for 1 1/2 miles you have a lot of work to do. I am a 35 year old prop forward with a knackered right knee and I can do it in 11 mins including a fag break.Get training as soon as you pass this test,you will be glad you did.
  3. Gollum

I'm recovering from a Sacral iliac joint problem (lower back) and the advice i have been given by a really good practitioner is Ice Ice Ice.

The regime he has given me is ice the area for 10 minutes with a bag of peas/ice etc, back into the freezer for 20 mins, and then straight back onto the area for another 10 mins.

Make sure that you use a wet tea towel between the ice pack and the skin or you will sustain cold burns. Do this 3 times a day and this should help to draw out the inflammation. You might also want to use a cold rub straight after you have iced it as this will also help with the inflammation.

Let me know how it goes and good luck

4. Gollum I have just noticed you are a swansea jack. That means you have a great tradition to follow in joining the armed forces. Listen to nutty bag,and dont let us swansea jacks (or yourself) down. You will pass that test on prue grit and dog mate. Its easy ,just get out of the comfort zone.Once you have passed your own comfort zone once you will keep being able to do it. Thats what makes swansea jacks Britians finest servicemen/women.Good luck mate ,keep us posted and see you on wind street.
  5. See you down the Mumbles mile for a pint or two.LOL
  6. Thanks lads.

I was doing it in around 11 mins 5 months ago, until I developed an injury with my calf. I went to see a sports doctor in Mumbles after it happened and basically found out my feet kept rolling inwards, hence I had very little muscle on the inner calf to support my legs when running. I had to get some correctional insoles made which only came 2 weeks ago, hence my running has gone to rat shit as I've been unable to run until then. I think the knee injury is still to do with my feet as its on the same side as my calf pain. Either way I'm gonna be going balls out Monday morning and I WILL pass it, pain or no pain!

Deeps I think I'm gonna take your advice and stay off until my test. I know I won't improve my fitness any more in 2 days, I think I just want to put my mind at rest by going out and running it in a comfortable time.

Thanks for all the advice, I'll let you know how I do.

7. To be honest, I wouldn't attempt it if you're hurting that bad. I had DOMS whilst doing it and honestly thought I wasn't going to be able to complete it. It hurt like hell and the treadmills they use have 0% rebound in them, basically its like running on the road. Ok, all well and good when you can adjust your speed and running style, but when you're on a thin strip of moving rubber its not too good.

But if you're like me, you go there thinking I do not care how much this hurts I will be completing this, then you will.
  8. Gollum pop into the running shop on High street(opposite ARGOS)get on the tread mill and get them to fit you for a decent pair of trainers.It will cost you almost a hundred quid but honest mate it is worth it. Sounds like you have had bad luck with your legs and a proper pair of running shoes will help you know end. If you are going diver in the RN you have to be f u cking fit mate. I did the same and I swear by Brooks Beast running daps .Have a look or at least get some advice .Good luck.
  9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Notwithstanding all the good tips so far, if you developed an injury with your calf 5 months ago & are still suffering, I'd suggest you get it checked mate.

What you have to remember is that if you start Phase One training carrying an injury, you're completely wasting your time & depriving someone without any injury, an earlier entry date.

If an injury occurs during the first 56 days of training or you fail to pass the fitness criteria within the first 56 days of training you will be medically discharged. Your best bet by far is to get it completely sorted, fully healed before you join.

If you're going to struggle at the PJFT, simply let your careers adviser know beforehand so as it doesn't count as a fail & you temporarily halt your application whilst you fully recover- there's no shame in that, but there'll be some unhappy chappies if you knowingly try to join Raleigh with an existing condition.

Either way, best of luck mate.

Edited to add: Just noticed Deep's post about being a Diver- if that is what you're going for you have 10 mins 45 secs regardless of age to do 2.4Km & you need to be bloody fit too!
  10. Gollum, honestly, don't rush into it with an injury and make things worse. Let yourself recover and go to Raleigh with 100% confidence in your ability. It isn't pleasant if you don't. What difference does another, say, 3 months (to get yourself back up to full fitness) make to a 22 year career?

As an aside - why is it divers need to be so fit?
  11. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Because they do explosive ordnace disposal (Diffuse Bombs). If they make a boo-boo, they have to be able to run fast in flippers. (Well, that's my theory).

Seriously, it's all to do with effective O2 transfer when diving, but I prefer my theory.