gossip in the office

I have three colleagues who are terrible gossips. Not in a nice way either. Working with them I just have to aceept they bitch about me in the same way they do about everyone else when I walk out of the room.

What is it with this nasty stuff? Is it the individuals or is it a sign of a sick organisation?

Individually they are fine - - - but more than that and it starts. It's almost as if they are trying to outdo each other to say nasty things about people - 'hey look at me I'm clever look what I have noticed/discovered...'

Anyone know where this sort of thing originates????

One is a bloke and two women.

:whax:

me of course I'm all sweetness and light :glasses6:

OptiMystic

Badgeman
Happens everywhere mate - always has been, always will be. Mostly boredom I think - people that are generally quite dissatisfied with their own lives and feel the need to bitch about everyone elses as they feel it bring them onto an even keel.

It's normally bored and horriblepeople, but there is a responsibility on organisations to set it's own policies and procedures, which should include boundaries - if the gossip is offensive, it is everyone's responsibility to challenge offensive behaviour, whether against you or another.

It can be said, "if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem" If you dont challenge them, they will keep on doing it. If you do challenge and they continue, pass it up the line for a grown up to challenge them.

All that dribble said, it will still happen anyway !!

SILVER_FOX

War Hero
Why not catch each individually and inform them that the other two have been sayig horrible things about them when they weren't around and then sit back and enjoy the show.

Either that or give them more work to do so they have less time to gab on all the time.

SF

brigham600

War Hero
I always work on the pretext that if they are gossiping about me, then at least they are leaving some other poor blighter alone. :)

slim

War Hero
SILVER_FOX said:
Why not catch each individually and inform them that the other two have been sayig horrible things about them when they weren't around and then sit back and enjoy the show.

Either that or give them more work to do so they have less time to gab on all the time.

SF
Best sugestion so far, award that man a wooden spoon so he can keep stirring the shti

Gossip is supposed to be good for the soul,but usually involves arseholes talking about things they know very little about.
It can in some circumstances ruin lives and relationships.

SILVER_FOX

War Hero
Caught out by Slim. It was too good to last. Bloody funny though.

Seriously? I bloody hate gossips. They're good for feck all ... Oxygen Thiefs. I'd rather have a conversation about happening on the soaps ... and I hate them too (except the one with all the babes in it).

SF

McCloggie

Lantern Swinger
I think offices are just like that - unless you work within a crew/forces scenario.

In my job just now, vessel crew sit/work in one office - everyone helps each other out, great jokes, stupidity, look after each other etc.

Downstairs is the engineering/project office - no jokes, silence, everyone drips and drains out about each other and try and score points to climb up the greasy pole. Give them a problem and it is always somebody elses job!

Sorry, just life!

McC

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Shakey Showbiz gossip question Diamond Lil's 26
Shakey Malicious Gossip Diamond Lil's 4
D Ganges gossip! Moved from Qtr deck! Bases / Shore Est 91
N hot gossip Diamond Lil's 13
N hot gossip Diamond Lil's 46
MoD_RSS Letter from the Minister of State, Cabinet Office about the CSPL review of electoral regulation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Homes England reaffirms commitment to the north east by relocating to Newcastle office MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Crisis in Venezuela: Foreign Office statement, 17 June 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Prime Minister announces merger of Department for International Development and Foreign Office MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Sir Christopher Kelly reappointed as a non-executive member of the Office for Budget Responsibility MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Independent review into the Post Office Ltd Horizon IT system MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Chancellor announces Richard Hughes as preferred Chair of the Office for Budget Responsibility MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ministerial appointments at the office of the Secretary of State for Scotland MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Office of Tax Simplification: new board member announced MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Interest rate reductions on the Court Funds Office special and basic accounts MoD News 0
MoD_RSS COVID-19 testing data: letter to the Office for Statistics Regulation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Bus, plane… and horseback: How the Foreign Office helped a British traveller return home MoD News 0
MoD_RSS OSCE Programme Office in Dushanbe: UK statement MoD News 0
MoD_RSS OSCE Programme Office in Bishkek: UK statement MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Home Office extends bereavement scheme to NHS support staff and social care workers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Veterinary Medicines Directorate office closure over May Bank Holiday period MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign Office statement on Hong Kong MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK statement in response to the Head of the OSCE Programme Office in Nur-Sultan MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Four new Cabinet Office Non-Executive Board Members appointed MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign Office charity marathon spans the globe in 24 hours MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign Office statement on Iran satellite launch MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Letter to Home Office (23 April 2020) MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Letter to Home Office (23 April 2020) MoD News 0
MoD_RSS HM Treasury announces revision to the UK Debt Management Office’s financing remit 2020-21 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Hong Kong protests: Foreign Office statement, 18 April 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Anfal Memorial Day 2020: Foreign Office statement MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British Office notice MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign Office steps up plans to bring home Britons stranded overseas MoD News 0
MoD_RSS An inspection of Home Office (Borders, Immigration and Citizenship System) intelligence collection capabilities, focusing on its field intelligence wo MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Home Office grants £14 million funding for security at Jewish institutions MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign Office statement on North Korea missile test - 31 March 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New Permanent Secretary at the Cabinet Office and Chief Operating Officer for the Civil Service MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign Office statement following North Korea missile tests - 20 March 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Spain travel advice: Foreign Office statement, 18 March 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Matthew Rycroft CBE appointed Permanent Secretary at the Home Office MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Braemar Cruise Ship: Foreign Office Statement MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign Office statement: Spain Travel Advice MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign Office statement on the Grand Princess cruise ship MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign Office statement following North Korea missile tests - 9 March 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Home Office brings together Police and Crime Commissioners at Tackling Crime Forum MoD News 0
MoD_RSS North Korea missile test, March 2020: Foreign Office statement MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Departmental response to the Adjudicator's Office 2019 annual report MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Roksanda AW2020 showcases British fashion in the Foreign Office MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Cabinet Office hosts the Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Azerbaijan parliamentary elections 2020: Foreign Office statement MoD News 0