Gosport faces total gridlock!

D

Deleted 493

I submitted this:

to Peter Viggers and the members of the SEERA a few years ago. It is the only viable solution to Gosport's mounting traffic problem and offers relief to the western end of Portsmouth's roads as well.

Needless to say, the reaction was negative. They'd rather progress with a supertram that is untenable, serves only one third of it's target audience and would do nothing to ease the gridlock at Town Quay, Fareham.

Thanks guys.

Levers

BusterQuin

War Hero
Levers
You didn't honestly expect Viggers to do anything other than protect his index linked pension or help his chums in Alverstoke did you?
The supertram idea was binned by fatty Prescott last year, which was a pity as the company I work for was tendering as a prime contractor

D

Deleted 493

BusterQuin said:
Levers
You didn't honestly expect Viggers to do anything other than protect his index linked pension or help his chums in Alverstoke did you?
The supertram idea was binned by fatty Prescott last year, which was a pity as the company I work for was tendering as a prime contractor
The supertram would end up costing a gigantic amount of money. It would never be used by half as many passengers as projected (most heavy cars users of the A32 live in the southern end of Gosport anyway, well away from the tram route) and would have a gigantic impact upon residents along the route in new builds. Speak to the people of Sheffield about the impact and troubles of the supertram. It's great in principle and on the drawing board, hellish to implement. This road system would enable traffic to transit at higher speeds, hence less emissions from the 70,000 vehicles transiting the A32 every day at an average speed of 7mph. Gosport to the dockyard in ten minutes. All I got from the beary-weirdies at SEERA were lame-arsed, liberal whining about 'environmental impacts' (like shitloads of lorries and cars crawling along isn't enough) and the view being spoiled from the harbour. Sometimes you just have to do the right thing, fellers.

Levers

rnsparker

Midshipman
About a year ago they did a survey of traffic at the roundabout at the junction of Newgate Lane and Rowner road. A couple of months after I got a phone call at home. They had noted my car reg on each day of the 5 day survey (travelling to Collingrad) and asked me what I thought of the idea of only be allowed to use my car 3 days of the week - they seemed quite shocked when I asked if they would reduce my car tax accordingly!!
They then asked why I didn't use the bus - to which I replied "don't be so bloody daft it's too slow because of all the cars". They hung up on me!

SILVER_FOX

War Hero
So if you were only allowed to use your car for three of the five days - what are you supposed to do for the other two? The buses are crap - unreliable, incredibly expensive and they don't cover enough routes, so that leaves staying at home or compulsory car sharing.

And to think that more of our council tax money was being spent on this stupid survey.

SF

I quite enjoyed my 10 years in Turktown. There was a proper PAS service from Clarence Yard to King's Stairs in those days, though. The bloody traffic to the M27/Fareham was horrific then so it must be the stuff of nightmares now.