Goretex foul weather Jacket

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by Franz29, Dec 1, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi there, hopefully this is the right place to get an answer, but if not, apologies in advance.

I am trying to buy a goretex foul weather jacket as a gift for my nephew (a cadet). I have seen some RN jackets on ebay but there seems to be two different types, one with reflective patches on the arm and one with a liner and no patches. Which jacket is the correct one for him to wear? I don't want to get the wrong one.

Thanks in advance, and thanks for your service; most of us appreciate what you all do for the rest of us, even if the vocal minority seem to be that which is heard most in the media.

2. My one has reflective patches on mate and i'm seagoing.
    AFAIK the other type is issued to those at shore bases, although this may have changed recently :)
    Basically he will be OK with either.
  3. Either, it doesn't really matter.

Both are issued by stores, I seem to recall that the reflective patch version goes to ships companies, the one without went to shore staff. The system started issuing them about 4 or 5 years ago so there is little distinction now.

Personally I prefer my DPM one.
  4. Hello mate,
    If he is a cadet then i would get him the all black one. This will not stand out against the rubbish ones that cadets get, plus it comes with the inner jacket which is a bonus.
  5. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

The Gortex foul weather jacket (with "Royal Navy" breast badge and reflective patches) replaced the old-style jackets which were not particularly waterproof and had the pointless foam hood insert and rubber "fruit pastille" cord stops, is issued on temporary loan issue to Ship's Companies and personnel working in hazardous conditions, and is 'supposed' to be returned to Stores on completion of that draft.

The slightly longer Gortex jacket (no "Royal Navy" breast badge or reflective patches) was introduced more recently to replace the old-style Burberry and windproof jackets, which were phased out a few years ago. It is issued to all personnel (sea- or non-seagoing) on permanent loan]/i] and should be recorded in your Kit Record Book.
  6. Hmm, we are replacing our foul weather jackets (Reflective patches etc) with the newer type coats. Think living so far away is having an effect there me old mucker :D
  7. Cheers guys, good info. I will get him the all black (no patches) version.
    Thanks again.
  8. Before you do that the "all black" ones are not well made and the zips often fail.
  9. the_matelot

the_matelot War Hero Moderator

I've had mine since April 05 and haven't had any issues with it.
  10. Ditto these comments... except for the fact that I haven't used mine much since it was issued and it's spent the majority of the time in the wardrobe collecting dust.
  11. the_matelot

the_matelot War Hero Moderator

I took out the inner almost straight away as I hated it but apart from that, it's fine. The only complaint I have of it is the velco destroys shoulder epaulettes.
  12. I had mine issued in july 06 and the zip had failed before last christams.

A few weeks after we joined they started issuing the 'royal navy' ones to all new joiners.
  13. OK so what happened to the good old foulies with the peak in the hood? Had some for years riding the treader around but then the increase in traffic fumes caused them to rot!
  14. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I've had both and I would go for the one with reflective patches.

15. They got rid of the useless things, they were many things, but waterproof didn't seem to be one of them.
  16. LOL, I see the answer isn't as cut and dry as I had hoped (no pun intended). I ordered the all black one from the-outdoor.co.uk and have a line on the RN version from a surplus seller online. I will get both then see which one he prefers; I can always use the other one as a wet weather coat.

Thanks again for all the help.