Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gordon Brown's assault on the traditions of the monarchy.

Re: Gordon Brown's assault on the traditions of the monarchy

sussex2 said:
Or would you like a spaniard whose family are famous for making biscuits?

But at least the Spanish Royal Family have a cute son. I mean c'mon Philippe is classic eye candy compared to Charles..... :lol:

The prime point of my Post was, if you'll forgive the cliche, why is the man wasting time and effort "re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic"? We've already demonstrated that the average Brit couldn't give a flying'. Alternatively, is this just the thing to wind up the Republicans, with hope of wider and deeper change, to divert attention from his home grown clusterf**k?

On the subject of having left footers as Boss fellah belong God, perhaps a lesson from the Geeks is worthwhile;

In April 1990 Baudouin 'abdicated' for a day, rather than sign a government bill liberalising the law on abortion. 'Does freedom of conscience apply to everyone except the King?' Baudouin asked with uncharacteristic public emotion in a letter to parliament.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/obituary-king-baudouin-i-of-the-belgians-1458724.html

type42stoker said:
sussex2 said:
Or would you like a spaniard whose family are famous for making biscuits?

But at least the Spanish Royal Family have a cute son. I mean c'mon Philippe is classic eye candy compared to Charles..... :lol:

But the git went and let the side down and married a Lettuce :roll:

'The prime point of my Post was, if you'll forgive the cliche, why is the man wasting time and effort "re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic"? We've already demonstrated that the average Brit couldn't give a flying'. Alternatively, is this just the thing to wind up the Republicans, with hope of wider and deeper change, to divert attention from his home grown clusterf**k? - unquote'

You have that about correct sir!

finknottle

Banned
Jack_McHammocklashing said:
finknottle said:
Roberts says, The news that Gordon Brown has opened talks with Buckingham Palace over altering the 1701 Act of Settlement, which bars members of the Royal family from succeeding to the throne if they marry Roman Catholics, has profound implications for the long-term future of this country'.

He fails to explain in his opinion just what these implications might be? He then goes on to say it is not bigoted, well it is in my opinion when all it did was secure the future of the Germans Protestants on the throne.

Anyway you can expect nothing else from an article in the Torygraph and no doubt written by a right wing monarchist.

The implications are HRH Tony Bliar, and his missus Cherrie would be unable to take the throne, unless the rules are changed
Why be a president of the EU when you could be KING AND QUEEN of the UK

Jack McH

Sorry but I have no idea what you are talking about?

If we were to get rid of that lot the new head of state would be elected by the people, much more in line with democracy don't you think?

Kevin Rudd is busy at the moment but he will get round to holding a referendum on getting rid of Windsor as the Australian head of state and this time I think she will be out on her cranium fins and we should be doing the same I mean get rid of the anachronism that they are once and for all.

Dear Finkie

I think before you ask the question as to whether or not we should dispense with the monarchy we should first determine what the monarch should be replaced with. Do we wish to follow the Froogy path and elect some one with almost absolute powers, or perhaps the septic way and elect a constitutional monarch but with powers similar to our monarch in the 18th C or should we follow the Irish model and elect some one to be a titular head of state who does the PR bit allowing the Paliamentary government to get on with the governing bit. The range of options for powers for an elected head of state is considerable, and where on the scale is pretty important when it comes down to deciding on the benefits or not as the case may be of regicide.

come_the_day

Lantern Swinger

The current Monarch introduced a new respectability to the institution and I don't believe that anybody would wish Her Majesty any ill-will. Unfortunately, her offspring are not worthy of carrying on the dynasty, with the exception of the one who could not be considered for the role because of primogeniture.

Jack77

War Hero

With all this carry on about changing the law to allow the British monarch to marry a Catholic, I must point out that the Church of England is a Catholic church. The only thing that changed when Henry VIII got pissed off with the Pope was who ran the church in England, not the basic church structure itself.

Protestant churches are those created by Martin Luther, John Knox etc. who created entirely new church doctrine.

Ah yes; we really need one of these;

finknottle said:
Jack_McHammocklashing said:
finknottle said:
Roberts says, The news that Gordon Brown has opened talks with Buckingham Palace over altering the 1701 Act of Settlement, which bars members of the Royal family from succeeding to the throne if they marry Roman Catholics, has profound implications for the long-term future of this country'.

He fails to explain in his opinion just what these implications might be? He then goes on to say it is not bigoted, well it is in my opinion when all it did was secure the future of the Germans Protestants on the throne.

Anyway you can expect nothing else from an article in the Torygraph and no doubt written by a right wing monarchist.

The implications are HRH Tony Bliar, and his missus Cherrie would be unable to take the throne, unless the rules are changed
Why be a president of the EU when you could be KING AND QUEEN of the UK

Jack McH

Sorry but I have no idea what you are talking about?

If we were to get rid of that lot the new head of state would be elected by the people, much more in line with democracy don't you think?

Kevin Rudd is busy at the moment but he will get round to holding a referendum on getting rid of Windsor as the Australian head of state and this time I think she will be out on her cranium fins and we should be doing the same I mean get rid of the anachronism that they are once and for all.

Nope Tony and Cherrie would be in there like a rat up a drain pipe, with GOGS Brown as pres in waiting, then they would rule that the pres stands for thirty years minimum

finknottle said:
Personally I would opt for replicating the Irish way of selecting a head of state.

Oh dear, missed the point haven't we, the Irish select their president much the same way as every one else, the have an election. I would expect that if we ever became a republic we would do the same though I suspect the likes of Mr Blair or Mr Brown would prefer to appoint a complicit president rather than trust the fickle electorate.

No the real question is the powers and role that any President of the UK would have/fulfil. This is always the problem with changing tradition, it is never quite as easy as it looks. There is a very strong need right at the beginning to be very precise on the route one is going to take.

finknottle said:
I am elated that I have not disappointed you and I have no recollection of ever being a member of the Communist Party or of being a Communist.

You right wingers do have some very bizarre ideas. :)

Wots in a name?

Fundamental Liberal Winger Nutty

thingy said:
Roberts' interpretation of many historical events remains novel and intellectually stimulating, if not perhaps a little idealistic. But that's historians for you, unlike scientists who are infallible. If the Church can accomodate an adulterer as its titular head then in can accomodate a left footer, right hooker or the PO Stoker resplendant in his ovvies wielding a cutlass instead of the Rod with the Dove, a hand grenade to replace the Orb and a wheel spanner to replace the Sceptre. With Nutty as Prime Minister, Hig as Chancellor, SPB as Home Secretary, UA as Defence Secretary and Type 42 as Papa 42, next Pope,we can't go far wrong. Finknottle can be the next Chancellor of the Dutchy of Lancaster and GR as Foreign Secretary.

All this fuss over one person. What a waste of Parliamentary time. None of this fantasy can take place without the ratification of the Parliaments of the Commonwealth countries who retain The Sovereign as their Head of State, under the Statute of Westminster 1931. No spin or posturing can change that legal and geopolitical fact. Personally I want a Queen as our next Head of State, be they female or male! :razz:

Thingy

Possibly the best idea in all this thread.

Nutty

buggerit84

Lantern Swinger
finknottle said:

I'm sorry, did I miss the point where Britain became a democracy that elects the head of Parliament?

If I may extract your head from your red ar$e, Gordon Brown wasn't elected so you're talking bollox!

We all know the only thing that works is enlightened dictatorship ;)

buggerit84 said:
finknottle said:

I'm sorry, did I miss the point where Britain became a democracy that elects the head of Parliament?

If I may extract your head from your red ar$e, Gordon Brown wasn't elected so you're talking bollox!

Gordon Brown is as elected a PM as any who have gone before him, Like then he was elected as a constituency MP, and then elected by his party as their leader. The fact he was going to be shoed in when Blair retired has been known since Blair first became PM, so every one who has voted Labour at recent elections has known that some day Brown would be PM. In fact we have had much more notice of his taking over than almost any other in my memory at least, if not much longer.

Of course that does not mean his is a good PM and I will have the greatest delight in casting my vote for whichever candidate has the best chance of defeating him at the next election.

TheRowan

Lantern Swinger
buggerit84 said:
finknottle said:

To be fair to the man, he was indeed elected... albeit only by the voters of Dunfermline East.

finknottle

Banned
buggerit84 said:
finknottle said:

I would much rather have my head up my own arse than someone elses and please continue posting your commnents as they brighten up an otherwise dull day.

finknottle said:
buggerit84 said:
finknottle said:

I would much rather have my head up my own arse than someone elses and please continue posting your commnents as they brighten up an otherwise dull day.

My, some people are easily amused

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F Has Gordon Brown finally got the message ? Diamond Lil's 6
trelawney126 Gordon Brown takes on Moonlighting Job Current Affairs 16
trelawney126 Gordon Brown not Popular Candidate IMF Current Affairs 18
soleil STV: Rosyth Jobs Threat If Carriers Axed, Says Gordon Brown Current Affairs 3
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp A question of honour for Gordon Brown Current Affairs 45
lonestar Gordon Brown dies (jk) Diamond Lil's 10
S Former Defence Chiefs Challenge Gordon Brown Over Iraq Current Affairs 4
Passed-over_Loggie Gordon Brown denies claims he mistreated staff Current Affairs 23
finknottle Gordon Brown to announce Iraq war enquiry (Your Views) Current Affairs 67
Oil_Slick Difference between Gordon Brown and Robert Mugabe? Current Affairs 37
Naval_Gazer Gordon Brown fails Forces, say experts Current Affairs 7
sgtpepperband The Gordon Brown Jinx: Manchester United Diamond Lil's 9
chieftiff Gordon Brown braced for fight over Armed Forces Pay. Current Affairs 31
Seadog Gordon Brown Loses Nerve and Waffles Current Affairs 21
F GORDON BROWN,I'M SICK OF HIM ALREADY!! Current Affairs 27
F So Gordon Brown planned the Pensions disaster!!! Current Affairs 5
soleil Daily Mail: "Proud Dad Gordon Ramsay Reveals Son Jack, 20, Has Joined The Royal Marines" The Corps 5
MoD_RSS Speech: " There can be no health without mental health" : speech by Jemima Gordon-Duff MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Valerie Gordon-Walker joins BPDTS Ltd’s Board of Directors MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Career Fair for Persons with Disabilities: speech by Jemima Gordon-Duff MoD News 0
Ageing_Gracefully Waterloo by Gordon Corrigan Competitions 18
Ageing_Gracefully Book comp: Waterloo by Gordon Corrigan Competitions 8
Ageing_Gracefully Competition - Pilgrim Soul by Gordon Ferris Competitions 9
S Gordon Browns Downfall Diamond Lil's 0
NotmeChief Gordon tells the truth at last. Current Affairs 0
NotmeChief Gordon Browns operation a success. Diamond Lil's 2
T Flash Gordon offers to take pay cut...... The Gash Barge 0
Maxi_77 Gordon loses even more support Current Affairs 9
Maxi_77 Gordon's new expenses fiddle Current Affairs 37
Oil_Slick Gordon's buggered then! Current Affairs 18
Maxi_77 Gordon Really Wanmts To Hear From You Current Affairs 13
21_Man Leading Seaman Gordon Cleaver History 5
andym Gordon Browns Song! Diamond Lil's 1
Oil_Slick Happy Birthday Gordon!!!! 1 year in the job! Current Affairs 13
A Gordon's Fury Current Affairs 11
T Gordon gets rumpled... Current Affairs 3
wet_blobby Gordon Browns economic vision follows him to India. Diamond Lil's 7
Oil_Slick Does God have it in for Gordon the Broon? Diamond Lil's 13
NotmeChief Gordon Current Affairs 0
Not_a_boffin Help Gordon (no really!) Current Affairs 17
Andy_Pandy CPO Gordon Selby - Luckiest matelot ever? Submariners 22
janner Gordon Selby History 0
Seadog Gordon Ramsay Feeds Booties Current Affairs 6
soleil BBC4 - Wednesday, September 16th 2020 - 9 pm - Britain's Greatest Pilot: The Extraordinary Story of Captain Winkle Brown The Fleet Air Arm 2
MoD_RSS Press release: Brown trout and endangered crayfish rescued from river pollution MoD News 0
B Advice and Help from a Brown Job Nearest & Dearest 41
iipodgeii HAIX Brown Boots, A Problem? Joining the Royal Navy 11
Bad CO Auction of Estate of Captain Eric M 'Winkle' Brown The Fleet Air Arm 10
Ageing_Gracefully Captain Eric 'Winkle' Brown Current Affairs 25
Ageing_Gracefully Captain Eric “Winkle” Brown CBE, DSC, AFC Royal Navy History 1