Gordon Brown braced for fight over Armed Forces Pay.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by chieftiff, Jan 5, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

From the Telegraph today, it would appear that the annual Armed Forces pay debate has begun again. TELEGRAPH

"Gordon Brown is preparing for a showdown with the Armed Forces as an official review is expected to recommend a "significant" increase in pay to compensate troops for the conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Brown will be under attack if he attempts to water down recommendations

The Armed Forces Pay Review Body will meet within a few weeks and is expected to call for a large rise in the "X-factor" payment received by the military to compensate for the threats and hardship troops face compared with civilian workers.

The payment, which stands at 13 per cent, was last reviewed in 2000. Since then the hazards of military life have increased significantly with the ongoing wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

A document drawn up to assist the pay review body says that the X-factor payment will this year be reviewed against 11 different criteria including the "danger" faced by the Armed Forces, the "turbulence" of service, and the "inability to resign at will".

A well-placed source said that a "significant increase will be recommended" although the exact level will be decided over the coming weeks.

There are also thought to be growing concerns that military pay in the lower and middle ranks is slipping behind comparable jobs in the public and private sector which is adding to problems in retaining experienced personnel.

The military is excluded from minimum wage legislation at present and this may also be reviewed.

An increase in the X-factor payment to 20 per cent would increase the starting salary of a private - currently £15,677 - by more than £1,000 a year. An Army sergeant would get almost £2,000 more. The extra payment would be in addition to the standard pay rise and is expected to be implemented in April.

The Armed Forces, like the police, are prevented from joining a trade union or taking industrial action and the Government is traditionally expected to abide by pay review recommendations.

If Mr Brown attempts to water down the recommendations he is likely to come under renewed attack amid criticism that he is neglecting the military covenant.

More than 260 Forces personnel have died in Iraq and Afghanistan since 2001 compared with fewer than 30 combat deaths during the 1990s."

Whether the PM likes it or not something needs to be done, a quick look at the Defence Analytical Services website shows that there has been a steady increase in the defecit of trained personnel in all 3 service, November showed a total defecit of 7040 personnel DASA The increase in the Army Trained Regular defecit just within this financial year is frankly scary a defecit of 3350 has grown to 5070 in 8 months!!

2. I'm not holding our much hope - all the extra green taxes we're paying will go to the MPs payrise which they're sure to vote for. If we're lucky there might be a "bonus" payment for service on TELIC / HERRICK but that'll be it.

Then again, I am a cynical old fart.

3. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Brown's ten years at the Treasury show what he really thinks.

4. I think he knows he is sunk already so has absolutely nothing to loose and will oppose it.
    He will probably oppose the 10% increase in mp's pay to try and make himself look good, but only because he know that he will be outvoted.

5. I genuinely hope you get the decent award that you deserve and the government don't interfere with something they know nothing about, however

"The Armed Forces, like the police, are prevented from joining a trade union or taking industrial action and the Government is traditionally expected to abide by pay review recommendations."

They have a current policy to cap public spending and have already chosen to ignore the independent arbitrator for the police pay award.

Good luck all - yet another fight on your hands I fear - one I truly hope you win.

6. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Watch out for the Treasury turning this into an Irishman's rise by raising charges and chiselling allowances.

7. When wil lwe find out the results of this? As i rember last year we found out well before april.
    I should be getting 3 pay rises in 3 months :)

8. Funny (well, not very), when Adml Boyce took up the matter of funding with yer man Blare, as Prime Minister, he was advised to take it up with the Chancellor of the Exchequer. The then Chancellor o t E is now the PM. Will the same principle stand?

9. i have read up on this kind of problem, was it true that thatcher was alot better at giving the armed forces more money when needed such as in the folcanse. sorry about spelling dyslexi!

10. Perhaps someone needs to remind Gordon who has all the guns?

11. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

I think you can be pretty sure that ever since the plot by the Secret Service/ Military/ Lord Mountbatton to overthrow the Labour party or more particularly that loon Wilson, all Labour Govt's have kept a close eye on where the guns are! I should of course say alleged plot..............

12. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Good link on the plot here:

:thumright:

13. Well a Private in Afghanistan is more use than 10 Gordon's. Perhaps our Privates should be suitably rewarded. After all, which job is more dangerous: being an MP and being targeted with words or being a Private and being targeted with bullets?

14. It wasn't so 'alleged' a plot… ^~

15. Pity the "alleged" coup never happened - we would've been spared the years of misery under Thatcher.

16. She is the one that actually stopped the rot. Regrettably, the side effects of the cure can be almost as bad as the illness.

17. She may have stopped the rot, but kept 3 million on the dole and blew the North Sea oil revenue doing it: remember how it was reported that "North Sea oil would be the making of this country ?" - never cut the price of a gallon of petrol in my Old Man's motor - totally wasted it. If all that money had been invested in Defence, we would've had Armed Forces on a par with Elmer.

18. lsadirty. A fair point. She did use much of that revenue, though, to pay off a substancial part of the National Debt. That was both part of the the American war loan and the IMF loan to Harold Wilson's Government.

I wonder what the result would have been if the oil and gas had stayed under the sea until now and at today's prices. Would it have covered the interest on the debts? Would it have given a more gradual introduction to today's energy shortages? I don't know and would be grateful for enlightenment.

19. If it wasn't for Maggie this country would now be a complete and total hellhole. It's amazing how quickly people forget just how fast the UK was heading down the shittir in the 70's

20. When Maggie took over the reins from the total F.U the previous labour governments had put the UK into she had a fight on her hands.
    The North sea oil extraction and Revenues were a way of easing the UK's finances .

The huge 3 million?? on the dole was mainly due to the fact that the Uk's industry was in such a parlous state [possibly due to high prices and and possibly un marketable goods anyway-----world trade was changing-the ''Empire'' countries were buying elsewhere ] Also the unions stranglehold on companies played a large part too.

At the moment this country probably has the same amount of people living on state handouts --however the Nu-Labour spin has managed to decrease
    the jobless totals by renaming various claimants[ adult training ,disabled, work placements and the next one is trying to keep people at school!!]

As for Gordon and his time as chancellor ----the inflation rate in the Uk quoted is not the true figure --------in financial terms its running at about
    6% and everyone who earns a working wage knows it.

Oil supplies aren't in short supply ---------the reason prices are rising is because oil is bought /traded in dollars . At the moment the mighty dollar is in dire straits -------its world monetary value is bad news. China and Japan hold trillions of dollars so they and other countries are trying to off load them to buy commodities that won't decrease in value.Oil is one of them! The oil producers have dollars too so they would like a fair price aswell.

As a footnote------the price we pay at the pumps at the moment for fuel
    is mostly tax revenue . The amount the government get is above 80 pence per litre [including the VAT ] Product cost is about 20p/litre total for distribution and refining.

Vote Nu Labour ----

:nemo: :nemo: