goodbye me luvvers ,Goodbye my friendls, You have been ones

Discussion in 'Nearest & Dearest' started by wompingwillow, Jul 26, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ok I'm off in the morning to begin my radio iodine therapy, I know most are going to miss me, were some are going to be glad to see the back of me.

I will be back hopefully in early September all being well.

for those who might be remotely interested
    Thyroid Cancer and monitoring

Thyroid cancer is an uncommon cancer. It usually presents as an asymmetrical swelling in the neck, which slowly increases in size and can occur at any age from about 20.

The commonest type of thyroid cancer is the so called differentiated type - either papillary or follicular. Well-differentiated thyroid cancers account for about 90% of all thyroid malignancies and usually they are associated with an excellent outlook. Although we do not know exactly what causes these well-differentiated cancers to grow, they are more likely to develop in patients who have received x-ray treatments in childhood for enlarged tonsils, enlarged thymus glands, acne, and occasionally for other malignancies such as Hodgkin’s disease or tuberculosis. Routine diagnostic x-rays (like chest x-rays, dental x-rays, or thyroid scans) do NOT cause such thyroid cancer.

Treatment

The primary therapy for all forms of thyroid cancer is surgery. For more aggressive papillary and follicular cancers, the generally accepted approach is to remove the entire thyroid gland, or as much of it as can be safely removed. For intrathyroidal papillary cancer and minimally invasive follicular thyroid cancer, a debate continues as to the merits of total thyroid removal versus the removal of just one lobe and the tissue connecting the two thyroid lobes, known as the isthmus. Since the outlook is so good for intrathyroidal papillary cancer and minimally invasive follicular cancer, a clear policy has yet to be reached nationally whether to remove the whole gland (called total thyroidectomy) or the side of the thyroid gland that contains the cancer (called a thyroid lobectomy). Therefore there are no absolute rules for the management of these less aggressive cancers and your surgeon will discuss this with you so that you are fully informed and take part in the decision process.

Radioactive Iodine

Following surgery, the patient usually requires to receive radio-active iodine. These tumours, like normal thyroid tissue, can concentrate iodine. If radioactive iodine is given, scanning by a gamma camera will show any normal thyroid tissue, or in its absence any residual thyroid cancer. A higher dose of radioactive iodine will eradicate any residual thyroid tissue (an "ablative radioiodine" dose) and any residual cancer. Thus patients are usually scanned after surgery then proceed to treatment will radioactive iodine. The latter is administered as a capsule, but the radioactivity is absorbed throughout the body, and excreted mostly in the urine, but also in sweat and faeces. Patients are admitted for therapy (usually for 2-3 days), largely for radiation protection, so that the radiation is safely contained. The treatment is usually well tolerated, the commonest side effects being fatigue, transient neck swelling and a sore throat. Since the radioactivity destroys the normal thyroid tissue, patients need to take thyroid replacement therapy for lifeFollow UpFollow up is by a combination of clinical examination for further lumps in the neck, repeat iodine scans and measurement, in the blood, of a substance called thyroglobulin. Thyroglobulin is a protein found in the blood, whose level increases if there is regrowth of the cancer.

The outlook for patients following treatment is usually very good and the vast majority of patients have no further problems

I DO NOT PUT THIS UP FOR YOU TO FEEL SORRY FOR ME JUST FOR FACTS.

I have to spend at least 25-30 days away from the Internet because my only access is at my parents house and they are looking after small child who I have to avoid.

I'd like to request by the time I'm back, that we find a good quote for the navy lark picture and adopt it as our mascot so we can get some good t-shirts printed.

If not I hope we have a good mascot.

I'd also like to have closure on my on/off marriage on the ? post.

missing you already

Wompers

2. Re: Goodbye my lovers,Goodbye my friendls, You have been the

I wish you well, and my hopes for a speedy recovery.

Take care
    BY

3. Re: goodbye me luvvers ,Goodbye my friendls, You have been o

To much information Wompers. Just hop off and get better. Take care out there.

Nutty

4. Re: goodbye me luvvers ,Goodbye my friendls, You have been o

Good luck and hope it all goes well. We will all be thinking of you but I can't guarantee what we will be thinking, especially Nutty.

As to ?, well anything may have happened by the time you get back so no promises there.

Extra special good luck

Peter

5. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Re: goodbye me luvvers ,Goodbye my friendls, You have been o

WW
    all the best, heres hoping for a speedy recovery. xx

6. Re: goodbye me luvvers ,Goodbye my friendls, You have been o

Hi,

My Sister in Law had the same treatment last year which was very successful. She also had to move to her mums and leave her young daughter at home with dad, this separation was probably more distressing than the treatment.

I wish you all the best and look forward to your return in September

7. Re: goodbye me luvvers ,Goodbye my friendls, You have been o

All the best Wompers, and we'll see you fit and well when you return
    Graybags

8. Re: goodbye me luvvers ,Goodbye my friendls, You have been o

All the best for a swift recovery so you can get back to being a mum. We will be thinking of you.

9. Re: goodbye me luvvers ,Goodbye my friendls, You have been o

Wompers...........

good luck and get well soon...........see you september

creakin

10. Re: goodbye me luvvers ,Goodbye my friendls, You have been o

Wompers get well soon take care looking forward to seeing you back.

11. Re: goodbye me luvvers ,Goodbye my friendls, You have been o

Hi Wompers,

I'm writing from Scrabster on a beautiful sunny day overlooking the Scottish coast from onboard the MS Boudicca.

Best of luck with the treatment and remember that the first stages of treatment often seem awful but it improves. We will all be reasonably well behaved matelots and ship's boys, including J_D, in your absence, and look forward to you returning once you've recovered.

Best wishes,

Steve.

12. Re: goodbye me luvvers ,Goodbye my friendls, You have been o

Take care of yourself WW,
    All the very best for a speedy recovery, look forward to seeing you back on here soon.
    XX

13. Re: goodbye me luvvers ,Goodbye my friendls, You have been o

Best of luck been there myself at deaths door on a few occasions and am still here boring the family stupid.

I think the worse part is the oz food. Anyways best of luck.

14. Re: goodbye me luvvers ,Goodbye my friendls, You have been o

All the very best Wompers , going to miss your Avatar , will be thinking of you , work in theatre 8 at Derriford Hospital , we deal with Thyroid problems in there , as well as a few other things , will think of you every time we do a Thyroid , I have an underactive one so take Levothyroxine tablets , take care , look forward to September :roll: :lol:

15. Re: goodbye me luvvers ,Goodbye my friendls, You have been o

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

Please no more, who is this woman, who is she,

Some man hating civy going into hospital (allegedly).
    One more and a fcukin brick goes through my screen. Right I`m off over to arrse for the rest of the night for a decent read.

Come back Jenny Dabber all is forgiven.

……

16. Re: goodbye me luvvers ,Goodbye my friendls, You have been o

All the best womp,do call if you need anything.

17. Re: goodbye me luvvers ,Goodbye my friendls, You have been o

Hope all goes well Womp .

18. Re: goodbye me luvvers ,Goodbye my friendls, You have been o

Good luck and hope all goes well. Awww UA, knew you couldn't resist me :oops:

19. Re: goodbye me luvvers ,Goodbye my friendls, You have been o

adios, womp, come on back when they've gotten you well again, we'll all still be ere 8)

20. Re: goodbye me luvvers ,Goodbye my friendls, You have been o

Good luck!