Good Pub Guide 2014

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by taffscrivs, Dec 29, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What are your favouite pubs? Please post them here, perhaps we could build our own good pub guide as an alternative to the usual CAMRA or Michelin efforts. Some that come to mind are, The Square and Compass, Worth Matravers, Dorset, The Spinning Wheel, Paignton, Devon, The Boat Inn, Penallt, Monmouthshire.
  2. Tesco, Asda, Morrison's there are other shops with alcoholic licenses, invite your mates to you house and you are sorted. good company, good ale, wine & sprits without waiting forever to get to the bar to be served, I have done my fare share of fighting my way to the bar.
  3. I'm with Sumo on this one.....I tend to drink at home these days.....what with driving, the price of ale, the 'chain' pub, the ones with wall to wall flat screens.....and noise.
    Having said all that, I live on the edge of the New Forest and there are pubs in my neck of the woods (pun) that are wonderful, and some yet to be discovered by Flagdeck.....ooh arrgh !

4. The Fawcett Inn, Fawcett Road- Pompey.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Rachel Likes.....

The Cockwell Inn

...............................the old ones are the best. !
    • Like Like x 1
  6. The cock and cider!
  7. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

The Blue Anchor, Helston. The home of Spingo!

Just the thoughts of a blonde ex wren
    • Like Like x 4
  8. Spent many a lost hour in there! :)

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)
    • Like Like x 1
  9. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I only tend to drink the middle but i too have lost many hours there.

Just the thoughts of a blonde ex wren
  10. All smartened up now, but back in the day, this pub was known as 'The Pinky'......local scrumpy house for HMS Mercury bods....many a life was nearly ended on the journey back ....past the cabbage patch and along murder mile....with your drunken oppo at the wheel of his clapped out mini.....(pre-breathalyser days)
    ............rather ironic that its in a village called Soberton.

The White Lion Soberton
  11. A piece of useless information regarding my post #10
    This pub dates back to the 17th century and during the English Civil War it changed allegencies several times, the Royalists sported red colours and Cromwell's lot, white (or vicci verci) and the pub was painted one or the other, depending on what week it was. This paint apparently seeped into the masonry and years later, everytime it rained, the place turned pink.....hence the name 'Pinky'
    .............gen dit.....allegedly ! :drunken:
    • Like Like x 1
  12. I was going to recommend the Navy Inn at Pembrooke Dock, the last pub before the Irish ferry and the Naval base. But looking on the web it looks like it is now turned into flats.

When i first went there (late 70s) nearly every other house was a pub and there was 4 streets, most have now gone.

I well remember when we arrived on the last train (9.30pm) 16 of us with all our kit wlking into the Navy Inn stacking our kit in the corner and on mass headed for the bar. trouble was, the place was packed with people waiting to go on the Irish Ferry.

No prpblem, engineers in front and it was like the Red Sea they just parted out of the way.
  13. An interesting choice but you'd have to prise me out of the The Leopold on Albert Road first.
  14. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Flanagan's Apple, Mathew Street, Liverpool. I've had some great piss ups there in the past.
    The Hole in the Wall, Gib.
    Fisherman's Arms, Barbican, Guzz.
    Orient Hotel, The Rocks, Sydney.
    Rose and Crown, Yealmpton.
    Plume of Feathers, Princetown.
    Edit to add: The Coeur De Lion in Bath and The Bluebell and Guy Fawke's Inn in York.
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  15. I'm sure I've been in there....bit of a haze....I remember the Grapes, in Mathew St. Was in there once (early 60's) when these scousers with funny haircuts pushed in front of me, 'Oi,' I said...'who the fcuk do you think you are?'.....'sorry mate', one of them said....'we're in a hurry, we're playing at the Cavern in ten minutes'.....I remember saying.... 'pissed scousers with bad timekeeping and dodgy'll never amount to much' :wink:
    • Like Like x 1
  16. The Leopold is alright but i lived practically next to it and it didnt feel too exotic :p
  17. Ah; but you refined girls rarely drink fine ales. [​IMG]
  18. It's no secret that between me, the wife, her bro and his wife, we've got a bit of an empire going. Anyway this is our pub. Shameless plug:

Home | George and Dragon Clifton

If you come in on a Thursday night, a devilishly handsome chap might just be working the bar. ;)
  19. That is true, the gentleman that frequent the place are so handsome they i don't trust myself.
  20. Heading up that way on business later on in the year, I might pop in, looks kind of posh! :)

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)