Good News for a Change

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by finknottle, May 6, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. People living abroad will no longer be entitled to a British state pension based solely on their spouse's work history, under government plans.
    Pensions Minister Steve Webb said some of those claiming a married person's allowance had never been to the UK.
    Some 220,000 overseas residents receive this payment at a cost of £410m a year.

Full Story Here:

Source BBC News.

About bloody time too and I am ashamed to say I didn't even know this was going on.

2. Unfortunately it doesn't apply to those already in receipt of this pay out, so the ex-crab living in the Phillipines with his filipino wife has no gripes whatsoever. He should read the small print before claiming his 15 minutes of fame!

3. Ashamed? Why?

4. I like to think that I am in the know as to just where my hard earned taxes are going but on this occasion obviously not. :)

5. Who is the 'He' you are referring too?

6. Hang on here just a minute chaps. Are you saying that just because I live in Spain (to escape the dire UK weather more than anything else) I should no longer be entitled to my (our) UK pensions? Surely the 'Crab in Thailand' has also paid his dues.

If so, why?

I (we) have our full 34 years or whatever of fully paid-up NI contributions, so please tell me why I should not receive my OAP?

And don't even start me on our lack of entitlement to NHS access.

7. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

That bloke in bold i would think.

8. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Read the article mucker. It's aimed at those who have never even been here or contributed to the system who end up getting a pension on the death of a spouse that has. Or have i misinterpreted the article?

9. That's not what the article states. However, it does raise a good point. Why should you be able to claim a STATE pension if you aren't going to use it to put back into the UK economy?

10. The STATE pays the pension rather than a private sector pension. I see no obligation to spend the money only in the UK. Do you expect pensioners to buy no imported goods or go on holiday?

11. This is the way I read it, you have paid in, move abroad and marry some local strumpet, now as you have married this woman who has never set foot or worked in the UK she becomes through marriage entitled to a pension; or have I got it wrong?

12. You didn't understand my point did you?

13. "But the change will equally affect spouses in the UK"

So is it saying that people who stay home to bring up their kids (and thereby earn less over the course of their lifetime) will later be penalised? Or am I mis-reading?

14. The same applies if you've worked the years to qualify for a full state pension and are, and have been, married to the same woman, but that woman has not worked or contributed any N.I. throughout her working life and are both UK residents. According to this legislation you'll dip out. Doesn't matter if its the local strumpet from Sembawang or Fratton she's still a spouse.
    As this doesn't come into force until 2016 it's impact will be limited, as it says in the report. In fact any pension changes only affect 'future' claimants, and there will be many changes to come as an aging population and longer life expectancy impact. We are already seeing state pension age rising and it will rise even higher in years to come. My view is .....this is as best as its going to be.

15. You are not mis-reading, MaiBelle........you won't be penalised.........you just won't get anything from the old man's pension.

16. Further to Maibelles enquiry women who stay at home to raise children get N.I. credits to cover that period as long as that in some time in the future they return to work so they shouldn't dip out.

17. It's not an issue for me as I have no kids...however I think it seems wrong that people would be penalised for bringing up their own children at home rather than paying someone else to do it, and thereby giving themselves a poorer quality of life when they are retired.

Edit to add: thanks Fishhead, that's reassuring to know :) - and I assume it covers men who stay at home too, as is becoming increasingly popular.

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  18. Interesting point Monty.........you contribute through N.I. to the state pension and when you claim it there is no pre requisite how or where you should spend it, but I believe inflation increases don't apply to some countries (not sure tho') As far as I know a pussers pension is non contributory, there is also no pre requisite on that either. But of the two, I would like to think that I could have more of a say over money received from a scheme that I have personally contributed into. Your point would make more sense i.e. to have restrictions on where it is spent, if it is a scheme where no personal contributions have been made. Thankfully, it doesn't.

19. According to the BBC news the spouse will only be in continual receipt of their pension until the death of the main UK recipient, after that it ceases, I.E. no widows or dependants pension, & this rule will apply both here & overseas.

It's also being mooted that non UK/EU nationals will be required to leave the UK on the death of their provider instead of being able to claim the M.I.G. from the state.

Iin view of the financial mess we're in it's bloody galling that it was ever allowed in the first place & has been allowed to continue for so long, I'm suprised they don't want us seniors to give up our winter fuel allowance to allow it to continue.

The next thing that wants stopping is child allowances, if you produce children you pay for them, it's not as if we don't now have foolproof birth control.

Last edited: May 6, 2013

20. Now this I DO agree with!

I'm also waiting for my bonus payment for NOT procreating - through choice!