Good ideas reward

Discussion in 'UPO' started by alchef, Feb 26, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I seem to remember that you can submit a "good idea" and potentially be rewarded, as well as benefiting your fellow sericemen!

As it happens, I think I have a good idea. I'm currently based with the crabs and can't find anything online about the process.

What do I have to do?

Many thanks.
  2. Go and see the GEMS rep
  3. You could be thinking of the Herbert Lott prize. It's whoever is going to recommend you for it that needs to know how - probably in a DIN or similar.
  4. Mega site here on Herbie Lott (He was once almost as well-known as good old Fred Quimby.) LOTT NAVAL TRUST FUND.htm

<< ....2007 the Herbert Lott Naval Trust Fund [4008491] was wound up and its property transferred into the
    Naval Service Prizes and Awards Fund [NSPAF], an unincorporated charity that is a wholly owned subsidiary of the RNRMC [Royal Navy and Royal Marines Charity].

A range of prizes [in name only] are awarded annually from the NSPAF, including Herbert Lott Prizes for efficiency.>>Unquote

PS Be wary - 'Twas not unknown for those further up the Food Chain to re-write a 'good idea' and thus become "Joint Claimants". You won't want to be feeding the Crabs, will you?
  5. Gen dit.

I knew a Chief Stoker who submitted a 20 page plan including isometric drawings, case studies and photographs, for his invention to GEMS.

What was his invention you ask?

The Cat/Toast Generator:

It worked on the principle that a cat always lands on it's feet and a piece of toast always lands buttered side down. Logic states that if you join both together, neither can fall first, therefore they will just spin in equilibrium for eternity.

If you could harness this power and link it to an electro magnet, in theory it is possible to generate electricity cheaply and effectively.

For some reason they never got back to him.

Edited to add:

What the fcuk am I doing on here? It's Friday afternoon, I should be in the pub.

It appears someone on the internet has already thought of it too:
  6. Defo GEMS...First Lieutenant or similar should be able to advise...or there is a webpage on the Intranet defence web thingy...
  7. Reputedly, the largest GEMS and/or Herbie Lott award was made to Douglas Taylor, the invenor of the Harrier ski-jump although there are some claims that this concept was developed much earlier.

From Kestrel to Harrier - Harrier development
  8. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

NG: With reference to the ski jump idea, I was led to believe that the wife of a Chief WAFU on board a carrier came up with the idea during a discussion with her husband. He, in turn, told his Boss (the aforementioned) who went on to take the credit for the said innovation... :shock: :salut:
  9. I was lead to believe that during the Falklands war one of the ships actually submitted a 2022 (modification form), to have glass bottoms fitted to the ships. The justification was "To keep an eye on the Argy airforce"
    This may of course be an urban myth.