Good Evening - RM Hopeful

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Scientia_potentia_est, Jan 25, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good Evening,

I thought I'd join the forum, to hopefully ask many questions and learn from others.

I'm currently 20 and stuck in a dead-end office job, spending each day tapping away on the computer listening to men complain about their £30,000+ a year salary, wondering what else I could be doing, this has reignited my desire to join the armed forces, something I have wanted to do from being a young boy.

I had two careers in mind, either an Intelligence Operative in the Army, or a Royal Marines Commando, but I have since found out I am barred for entry with the former, due to my colour vision deficiency.

It won’t be until October that I will be ready to sign the dotted line, because I am currently studying my second Open University course, aiming to attain a Certificate of Higher Education in Humanities.

What has drawn to the military is a career that will allow me to work to the best of my capabilities, give me great opportunities to experience things I wouldn’t as civilian, and give me some invaluable life skills, oh and hopefully keep me out of an office full time.
    That’s enough about me anyway.

Oh and if anyone is wondering, yes I am the user ‘Office_Monkey’ over on ARRSE.

2. I feel your pain...as you can guess from the name...I too was an office junkie...I used to load up the RN homepage EVERY morning and one day I thought if I don't do it now I never will, and walked! Good times, about to sit my FATs next week for Pilot, and not looked back once...Good luck!

3. I feel your pain...as you can guess from the name...I too was an office junkie...I used to load up the RN homepage EVERY morning and one day I thought if I don't do it now I never will, and walked! Good times, about to sit my FATs next week for Pilot, and not looked back once...Good luck!

4. Well, good luck with that mate. You might be interested to know that you can do Intelligence Operative-type stuff in the Corps, in the CI branch. Not sure about medical standards and that though but it's well worth looking into once you've got your lid.

5. If you are colour blind, I doubt very much any of the armed forces would pass you fit for serivce. You could try french foreign legion. I say this because I was reading an article in the papers about a british guy who had vision problems and he was rejected by the british army, so he went to france to join the legion.

I think the legion are better than the RM anyway! This is my opinion anyway. They are more elite (i'm going to get butchered for saying this). Pass rates for RM are 50% and french foreign legion about 10%.

Or if you want to go into intelligence, then MI5 or MI6, maybe even GCHQ.

6. Nice stats where did you get those from ?, sack of shit.

Mate i know of a few Royals that served with the Legion, all passed the course and enjoyed it. What you have to remember is that the FFL is not like it was back in the day where they pretty much got anyone, they now fall into the same bracket as any other military unit, i.e who they except, rules and regs etc.

Best bet talk with the AFCO, and if you feel like joining the legion then there are ex 2REP members on Arrse

7. :roll: :roll: And how would you suggest the OP goes about joining these organisations, or do you not have the faintest idea?

8. There's a fcukin coincidence, I tried joining the Marines last Thursday afternoon, they told me to fcuk off the b*stards.
    I never got that treatment on Friday when I went down to join the Legion.
    Two hours, to get my membership card and was allowed to get served at the bar by 6 pm.
    I love that club.

9. Idiot.

10. Who is Joe90, i gather he has not served, or made a attempt t o join up?

11. Doesn't seem to be a handicap on here when dishing out advice, its more now the tail wagging the dog.

12. Well you did ask :p

13. I think you'll find he had once suffered a detatched retina rather than colour blindness, so he wouldn't have had a permanent colour deficiency.

14. Scientia

Perhaps, whilst you are finishing off your time at Uni you could join the TA. You won't deploy whilst studying, but you may have an opportunity at a deployment afterwards. A look at a life in green might confirm (or otherwise) that you have made the right choice.
    Good luck.

15. 'kinell, sound advice from JJ and he didn't ask about your hoop once 8O

I'd ignore Joe90 and listen to those that know Scientia and there are different levels of colour blindness. It's not an automatic bar to entry for all branches depending on severity I believe. NJ and SM can advise properly on that one

16. JJ you feeling alright!? Anything I can do to help? 8O

17. Yeah, cut your face off with your mother's jaw bone. :lol: