Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Golden Rivet

Fletch said:
Geoff_Wessex said:
Shakey said:
I heard that someone painted a gold rivet in the engine room of the royal yacht for a laugh, dunno if this is true or not, though I was told safeguard.

Tis true - never served on HMY but while RS on the Zulu, 1983, went round with the Yeoman one lunchtime to "borrow some radios" for our upcoming stint as Cowes Guardship. Had a great time in the POs Mess and got shown all over, including the immaculate white and shiny engine room - complete with a gold-painted rivet on a hull plate. Mind you, they were all shirtlifters on the Yacht. Can i say that?

I MUST go home and tell my missus and kids that I'm a brown clown then !!!

I didn't realise, until now and, BTW. my first daughter was born just before I left her in '78, do you think she's mine ???? !!! :D :D :D

Seriously though, in MY 2.5 years aboard Britannia btween '76 &-'78, there was NEVER any indication of there being any "walkers of the left hand path" being amongst the crew - civvy side YES - either of the two crews (permanent and ocean) NO !!! In actual fact, although the crew were supposed to have been "hand picked" there were a VERY large number of absolute ANIMALS aboard that would have graced ANY Pusser's Grey or Deeps messdeck !!! Don't judge a book by its' cover eh ?!! :lol:

The Golden Rivet story IS true though. A certain member of the Royal Family heard the legend and wanted to see it so one was gold leafed with the same gold leaf that was used for the gold line around the hull !!.

You're OK Fletch. As Geoff said, his excursion was in 1983, so obviously the RN in their wisdom were more selective of the matelots they chose to accompany The Firm. I'll be interested to hear his explanation for how he came to learn this in such a short space on board her, once he's disembarked into his new Colonial living space. :wink:

[align=center]BUZZ... GEOFF & HIS WIFE CAUGHT IN OTTAWA, CANADA TRYING TO EVADE THE REVENGE OF THE ROYAL YACHTIES
img8606.sized.jpg
[/align]

all_purple_now said:
Fletch said:
The Golden Rivet story IS true though. A certain member of the Royal Family heard the legend and wanted to see it so one was gold leafed with the same gold leaf that was used for the gold line around the hull !!.

The Duke of Windsor, or the Duke of York?

(TFIC)

APN

LOL !!!

I meant a certain FEMALE member.............................

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Shakey said:
I heard that someone painted a gold rivet in the engine room of the royal yacht for a laugh, dunno if this is true or not, though I was told safeguard.

Its true! although the engines have been taken out, the old Golden Rivet is still there to this day. I fact I am going on board for a reunion in June, so I will double check and let you know :wink:
Cheers, Smudger.

Hi Janner, See you found me lurking around in here Eh :? I am going to take some photos at the reunion, I will see if I can get a picture of it :wink:
Cheers, Smudger.

NozzyNozzer said:
Fletch said:
Geoff_Wessex said:
Shakey said:

Tis true - never served on HMY but while RS on the Zulu, 1983, went round with the Yeoman one lunchtime to "borrow some radios" for our upcoming stint as Cowes Guardship. Had a great time in the POs Mess and got shown all over, including the immaculate white and shiny engine room - complete with a gold-painted rivet on a hull plate. Mind you, they were all shirtlifters on the Yacht. Can i say that?

I MUST go home and tell my missus and kids that I'm a brown clown then !!!

I didn't realise, until now and, BTW. my first daughter was born just before I left her in '78, do you think she's mine ???? !!! :D :D :D

Seriously though, in MY 2.5 years aboard Britannia btween '76 &-'78, there was NEVER any indication of there being any "walkers of the left hand path" being amongst the crew - civvy side YES - either of the two crews (permanent and ocean) NO !!! In actual fact, although the crew were supposed to have been "hand picked" there were a VERY large number of absolute ANIMALS aboard that would have graced ANY Pusser's Grey or Deeps messdeck !!! Don't judge a book by its' cover eh ?!! :lol:

You're OK Fletch. As Geoff said, his excursion was in 1983, so obviously the RN in their wisdom were more selective of the matelots they chose to accompany The Firm. I'll be interested to hear his explanation for how he came to learn this in such a short space on board her, once he's disembarked into his new Colonial living space. :wink:

[align=center]BUZZ... GEOFF & HIS WIFE CAUGHT IN OTTAWA, CANADA TRYING TO EVADE THE REVENGE OF THE ROYAL YACHTIES
img8606.sized.jpg
[/align]

LOL !!
That picture is VERY reminiscent of what we did to some Aussie matelots who popped over for a visit and a bit of a "swap draft" when were were down there in '77. They took it in good stead though !!!

OK - I don't go until tomorrow, and I'm stopping with a neighbour until then. I think I'd better apologise to Yachties..... They were not ALL shirtlifters. A bit effeminate, perhaps, but not ALL uphill gardeners. Come to think of it, maybe the stories I was told mainly concerned members of the Royal Household that travelled with the Royal Family.

Geoff_Wessex said:
OK - I don't go until tomorrow, and I'm stopping with a neighbour until then. I think I'd better apologise to Yachties..... They were not ALL shirtlifters. A bit effeminate, perhaps, but not ALL uphill gardeners. Come to think of it, maybe the stories I was told mainly concerned members of the Royal Household that travelled with the Royal Family.

Only stories? How disappointing. I thought you had a submariner's special insight into what Royal Yachties get up to when eyes are turned elsewhere. Have a good trip to the Colonies. There's a buzz going round that Canada's Ganges Association has a small contingent of ex-Royal Yachties (now apparently practicing lumberjacks, who as we know, are all OK :lol: ) who have organised a welcoming committee to meet you in Ottawa...

Latest Threads