Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Golden Rivet

Scud

Badgeman
We've all heard about the Golden Rivet, we've all been warned about it - has anyone actually had it tried on them on board ship?

I heard that someone painted a gold rivet in the engine room of the royal yacht for a laugh, dunno if this is true or not, though I was told safeguard.

Never been shown or shown the Golden Rivet, but, did show a young USN sailorette a good time on the Captains Chair on the bridge of a T42 in jebel Ali after the cessation of activities in 1991. 8)

Another USN sailorette was caught with a stoker growing out of her mouth in one of the Olympus Module, this is however hearsay, and I cannot guarantee its authenticity. :oops:

On another ship, much smaller, buff funnel line in the late 70's, a deaf and dumb "lady" from a small port in Holland, allowed her head to be put in the vice in the chippys workshop so she could entertain members of the duty watch, and very good she was too. :wink:

I was on the old Ark when a stoker was found showing the Golden Rivet to the NAFFI manager!. Both were off the ship within 8 hours.

I discussed this earlier seeking to gently warn a future Raleigh lad away from foolishness... Visit here.

A word of warning though, which nobody here seems to have mentioned yet. On the parade ground there is what resembles, to civvy eyes at least, a small plaque. They have one at the site of the old HMS Ganges which many contributors here did their training in as innocent 15 year olds. (Well some were innocent, the rest just looked innocent.) This plaque is situated just below the Mast. In the Andrew this is called a rivet. In 1976 some civvy contractors started digging round it and in the process broke the top of the rivet off. This special, golden, rivet kept the parade ground rivetted to the Earth's crust. Once loosened all hell broke loose. The parade ground cracked up and a whole cluster of trainees' messes, adjacent to the quarterdeck, slipped into the sea complete with their compliment of sleeping matelots. The Navy Board, in their wisdom, covered what had happened up by claiming they were decommisioning Ganges because of the raising of the school leaving age back in '73 - but this isn't true. The place is still haunted by their ghosts. DON'T, WHATEVER ELSE YOU DO at Raleigh, damage the top of this golden rivet, if indeed you are able to find it (it is well conceiled), or the same thing will happen.

As I said, on board ship, a Golden Rivet has only been (unknowingly) tampered with with terrible consequences. Just a pity the contractors weren't there in 1959 whilst I was on Christmas leave... :lol:

Shakey said:
I heard that someone painted a gold rivet in the engine room of the royal yacht for a laugh, dunno if this is true or not, though I was told safeguard.

Tis true - never served on HMY but while RS on the Zulu, 1983, went round with the Yeoman one lunchtime to "borrow some radios" for our upcoming stint as Cowes Guardship. Had a great time in the POs Mess and got shown all over, including the immaculate white and shiny engine room - complete with a gold-painted rivet on a hull plate. Mind you, they were all shirtlifters on the Yacht. Can i say that?

Geoff_Wessex said:
Shakey said:

Tis true - never served on HMY but while RS on the Zulu, 1983, went round with the Yeoman one lunchtime to "borrow some radios" for our upcoming stint as Cowes Guardship. Had a great time in the POs Mess and got shown all over, including the immaculate white and shiny engine room - complete with a gold-painted rivet on a hull plate. Mind you, they were all shirtlifters on the Yacht. Can i say that?

Brownhatters... shirtlifters..? Here you can get away with it Geoff. Just out of interest, how did you find out? :wink: :lol: Was it fun?

NozzyNozzer said:
Geoff_Wessex said:
Shakey said:

Brownhatters... shirtlifters..? Here you can get away with it Geoff. Just out of interest, how did you find out? :wink: :lol: Was it fun?

What a fine question.......can't wait for the answer.

GW has been transported to the Colonies for some aspect of his behaviour, it may be a while before we hear His answer 8O 8O 8O

Shakey said:

Had a tour of the Royal Yacht in 1991.

Being very careful how I word this.......I have seen the Rivet, that was one of many rivets used in the construction of the Royal Yacht, that was in fact painted gold. Phew....

It was in the engine room. Story was that Princess Margret asked to see the Golden Rivet and so one was created.

janner said:
GW has been transported to the Colonies for some aspect of his behaviour, it may be a while before we hear His answer 8O 8O 8O

Ah, ha, so he's got found out at last! :wink: I though it was all OK to be a gay matelot now. Seems a bit harsh transporting him for life to Canada just for broadening his mind whilst visiting HMY, after all, as he said, he was just there to collect some radios... Geoff, when you're released from the Convict Ship 'n' chains, heliograph us a signal and tell us that none of this is true!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Geoff_Wessex said:
Shakey said:

I MUST go home and tell my missus and kids that I'm a brown clown then !!!

I didn't realise, until now and, BTW. my first daughter was born just before I left her in '78, do you think she's mine ???? !!! :D :D :D

Seriously though, in MY 2.5 years aboard Britannia btween '76 &-'78, there was NEVER any indication of there being any "walkers of the left hand path" being amongst the crew - civvy side YES - either of the two crews (permanent and ocean) NO !!! In actual fact, although the crew were supposed to have been "hand picked" there were a VERY large number of absolute ANIMALS aboard that would have graced ANY Pusser's Grey or Deeps messdeck !!! Don't judge a book by its' cover eh ?!! :lol:

The Golden Rivet story IS true though. A certain member of the Royal Family heard the legend and wanted to see it so one was gold leafed with the same gold leaf that was used for the gold line around the hull !!.

Fletch said:
The Golden Rivet story IS true though. A certain member of the Royal Family heard the legend and wanted to see it so one was gold leafed with the same gold leaf that was used for the gold line around the hull !!.

The Duke of Windsor, or the Duke of York?

(TFIC)

APN

Latest Threads