Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Going Regular

Anchor Faced

Lantern Swinger
Good evening all,

I wanted to start this thread about RNR going regular because I have observed a wide variety of experiences and am attempting it myself. Hopefully shed some light on it, all experiences will differ and are to be taken with a pinch {read: shovel} of salt. The more people that contribute and build the picture the better.

Little background; I am an OF1 on trained strength, 2 years in the RNR and loving it. I have applied to go regular and my AFCO has bounced the question of what steps I need to complete to AIB. It has been 6 weeks and we are still waiting on a reply, not mega surprising all things covid considered.

Having seen a member of my division (AB2) go straight to regular Phase-2 training, seen SLt's (OF1) go back to ground-zero of interview and Capita medicals, Middies (also OF1) who got to skip certain steps and have their place at BRNC, and even excellent RNR Lt's get bounced off entirely. A good reminder we are all subject to the needs of the service.

Will update if and when anything moves.

Yours Aye,
Anchor Faced

P.S. I am aware this overlaps a bit with "Joining up" threads but is probably specific enough to belong in here.

Branch-Hopper

War Hero
@Anchor Faced

Each application is taken, individually, at its merits. It's rare, in my experience, for an individual to have to attempt AIB a second time, after all a pass is a pass. It may be that, of course, that a candidate has a " how did this officer even find Sultan unaided" OJAR in which case it would surprise me not one iota for him/her to be sent round the buoy again - I have no evidence for this, just casual observance.

As to where you get slotted into the training pipeline depends on what experience you can bring to the table. With the greatest of respect 24 months RNR service does not a Nelson make. In addition you would need to consider which RN branch you anticipate joining, two years Phase One RNR might not fully prepare you for OOW1 on QNLZ.

I'd put my money on being inserted at BRNC for the full course. Unless you are a Chaplain/Nurse/Doctor.

Anchor Faced

Lantern Swinger
Hi @Branch-Hopper ,

Thanks for the insight. A full course BRNC is the aim, any thoughts of skipping steps is only to do with application (took approx 2years the first time around). I have applied to go warfare.

Fingers crossed!

Branch-Hopper

War Hero
With, AIUI, RN candidates now doing AIB by Skype, anything could happen.
Not that I approve of officers who have not fallen into the ponds at Sultan.... :)

Anchor Faced

Lantern Swinger
7 shit jokes and 1 sincere comment, better odds than usual for this site. All in the name of a 'robust, military sense of humour' but resulting in a shit forum of 12 old salts going round in circles.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

soleil

War Hero
7 shit jokes and 1 sincere comment, better odds than usual for this site. All in the name of a 'robust, military sense of humour' but resulting in a shit forum of 12 old salts going round in circles.

Branch Hopper's comment was useful, I thought! He's really well placed to comment on Reservist matters, so I always consider his posts to be of particular value and look forward to seeing them.

The only thing I could suggest for you would be sending a message to other people whose posts in the past have suggested an extensive connection to the RNR. Purple_Twiglet is of the right persuasion, if I remember correctly.

You could message PT.

There is another poster with a strong connection to one of the units in the north, I'll try to remember who that is, if I can.

I've just remembered another one, 2 deck dash has served both as a Regular and as a Reservist.

Sol

Stirlin

War Hero

Your maths is shit , currently 47 old salts on here taking the piss and making each other laff , which is no bad thing and the OP got the info he asked for.

Alfacharlie

War Hero

Cheers shit dits. Don't like it, Foxtrot Oscar.

Boring ****.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS CNC and Kent Police joint initiative going strong one month after launch MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Going faster on global ambition to tackle climate change ahead of COP26 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Scotland’s tech sector going from strength to strength MoD News 0
MoD_RSS GFSL staff member going above and bee-yond at HMP Warren Hill MoD News 0
C Should I inform my afco about going to doctors? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
MoD_RSS If you're going to the coast .... MoD News 0
Sumo 94 and going strong Current Affairs 2
MoD_RSS Education Secretary: We're going on a discipline drive in schools MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Unseen evil: Sex abuse in families going under the radar, say inspectorates MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Going East: Midlands healthcare firms head for a global future MoD News 0
MoD_RSS A UK-Ghana Partnership going Beyond Aid MoD News 0
MoD_RSS World going crackers for British cheese and wine MoD News 0
MoD_RSS If you’re going out to scare, know what to wear MoD News 0
D Going Joining the Royal Navy 1
MoD_RSS Bell from American ship destroyed in Second World War going home MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Going the extra historical mile MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: 'Going global' in higher education MoD News 0
L Injuries while under going phase 2 Health & Fitness 7
K 21 Civvie to RN Air Crewman/Observer, going for NSRT - got a few concerns! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
C Going to the dogs! Diamond Lil's 19
M Commissioned without going to AIB? Submariners 12
W Going From Merchant Navy Training To Royal Navy Joining the Royal Navy 3
TechFin Whats the age for going to BRNC? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
K Going home from Raleigh for a weekend? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
S CPOs going from square rig to fore-and-aft rig History 5
sj25105815 Ex Army, joining Navy age 36, going comms tech! Got questions Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 201
MoD_RSS News story: Defence Minister meets poppy producing veterans going for gold MoD News 0
Knightsrum Communications Apprentice training Aug 2016 - Who's going? RFA 9
explodingcookie Going home Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
J Pilot: How are you streamed into fast jet or rotary when going through training? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
Trainer NEM is not going down so well in certain quarters.... View from the UPO Finance & Pensions 61
M Going home UPO/Careers Office 1
L Going Outside - Joining the Merch Finance & Pensions 26
D Anyone else going to BRNC on the 25/7? RFA 0
E Education results going into the RN Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
Ageing_Gracefully Book Comp- At The Going Down of the Sun Competitions 17
P Anyone else going through the recruitment process losing interest? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 47
drewfester Royal Marine quizzed on going to fight ISIS whilst on leave Current Affairs 2
Gino RNZN Going Dry The Quarterdeck 30
Guski Anyone else going for TM Officer ? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
B going to Raleigh 26th Oct? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
R worth going submarines? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 27
W Going to sea... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
G Application going no further RFA 32
Dockyard Oyster New website for matelots going weekenders The Quarterdeck 28
Dockyard Oyster New website for matelots going weekenders Travel & The Great Outdoors 5
Dockyard Oyster New website for matelots going weekenders Motoring 1
andrew.davis910 Would going into the navy at 18 to be a chef be a decent job choice?? The Gash Barge 241
C Going to HMS Raleigh august 2014. RFA 25
K Type 1 Diabetes, with 10 years done. Whats going to happen to me? Health & Fitness 5