Going outside

Discussion in 'The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs' started by swampy, Mar 22, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, have been pondering for awhile now about going outside & working offshore(ships or rigs). I am a time done Chief Tas Ape,Whole Ships Q. Wondering which avenue to take as to what to do outside. Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas, all help greatly appreciated.

2. Swampy, I can't comment on rigs etc but as has already been posted on RR not too long ago, due to the downturn and amount of job losses in civvy street, if you can get an extension for a year it's worth doing. If you're already in 2OE then stick with it for the time being.

3. Cheers Jimmy, i know the old saying'Grass is always greener on the other side'. I've just started 2OE 5 but really can't be bothered anymore. Bored with the job now & want to do something different. Obviously the easy option is to stay with it & just plod on

4. Not much call for a tas ape even a chief one. I came out as a tas rating in 78 .Then straight in to the postman job. Should have done a while longer. But had enough...

5. As some one who has just left I agree the job market has shrunk dratically, the two jobs I was lined up disappeared and that happened to a couple of guys I was on ressettlement with as well.

My mate was on his requalifying course for the rigs a few weeks ago and said that 2/3 of the guys had nothing lined up.

The IT world is still recruiting and your SC can be useful in that field.