Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Going on an RFA jolly to claim Afghan medal - morally wrong?

Re: Going on an RFA jolly to claim Afghan medal - morally wr

Can I just say, this person is not the only RNR to have the desire to obtain 'MEDALS'. I served in 2003 & have never applied for my medal & have no intentions to either, nor will I be claiming anything for my 2007/8 Mobilization.

I have many friends in the Army who were in the thick of things for many months during 2003 and a few have never been the same since their time 'FIGHTING' and have been medically discharged, I also have RM mates who are fighting the Afgans.

RNR folk need to start looking at the bigger picture, if you only join to get the medals, try Lawn Bowls & leave the True heros to claim their well deserved medals.

Lets start backing all our Regular Forces & stop dripping!!!

trehorn

War Hero

moodyfozzie said:
Can I just say, this person is not the only RNR to have the desire to obtain 'MEDALS'. I served in 2003 & have never applied for my medal & have no intentions to either, nor will I be claiming anything for my 2007/8 Mobilization.

I have many friends in the Army who were in the thick of things for many months during 2003 and a few have never been the same since their time 'FIGHTING' and have been medically discharged, I also have RM mates who are fighting the Afgans.

RNR folk need to start looking at the bigger picture, if you only join to get the medals, try Lawn Bowls & leave the True heros to claim their well deserved medals.

Lets start backing all our Regular Forces & stop dripping!!!

I think a little clarification was required on that one. Not all RNR's are in it for the tinsel. In fact i think if anything its the VAST MINORITY who are after the gongs.

F.T.D

Midshipman

Didnt realise anyone would be entitled to a medal for 2 weeks diamond shopping in Dubs :thumright:

Gombear

War Hero
Nutty said:
Maxi_77 said:
For goodness sake calm down, campaign medals are issued that way, always have been, some who get them are at the front end in danger every day and some are right at the back and crossing the high street at home would be more dangerous. That is just the way it is, because he organised himself to be in theatre for the qualifying time does that make all that much difference, he meets the requirements set down. You may suggest that the requirements are wrong, and you may be right, but that is another argument.

We could of course change the medal to make it for ardous or front line under fire only medal. But then all the Senior Officers would not get one so thats the end of that good idea.

Or make it badges or brooches for being there and medals for heroes.

Good idea Nutty :thumright:

noemis

Lantern Swinger

I think I qualify for one just for the amount I have spent in Aussie Mikes, it's murder out here you know. Hot, sunny and spent my bounty already!

broadside

War Hero

F.T.D said:
Didnt realise anyone would be entitled to a medal for 2 weeks diamond shopping in Dubs :thumright:

You're not! I think it has to be 4 weeks and 2 days! (But you are not forced to buy any diamonds if you don't want to)

Standing by to be corrected on both counts - time limit and whether or not you have to buy diamonds!

RNRAWBOD

Badgeman
Reservist-Monkey said:
The rules are the rules I guess. Sometimes people work them and to some degree I am inclined to think more power to them. As has been correctly pointed out earlier, he won't get the clasp. Consider this, he's at a mess dinner chatting to some booty/pongo type (or even a matelot with a clasp ;) ) who asks... "where were you on Herrick?" Who's going to look like a d1ckhead then :)

I am a matelot reservist and have just received my Afghan OSM WITH clasp (Herrick 7), and I don't really have an issue with him getting one without...at the end of the day he HAS gone and filled a required role, even though his motivation might be suspect....

SnaggyBosun

Midshipman

Whilst I was serving on a RFA I was having a good dit on with the the personnel onboard. Whilst the lantern was in full swing, I came under the conclusions and fully agree with what was been said.

Today we give far more medals then ever before and gradually we are turning into our allies the Yanks. How can you say that any Matlot (Sea serving) deserves a medal for Afghanistan its just a load of bollocks and deteriorates the value of the medal that the land forces are doing. The last REAL service medal that a matlot deserved was the Falklands, all the others after that were just plastic, IMO.

Let the flaming begin !

Addition to my last if you were unfortunate to piss off drafty and were serving in the heat of action (Not sunbathing) Kudos to you, and think you should be decorated accordingly.

I'd rather thought this one would have faded away too.

One small technical point SB; if you've served on land ops within the theatre you get a clasp to your medal. If you do the maritime thing you don't. It's all written down in the DIN (which I don't have to hand, unfortunately). It's always good to bait those without, but I would never do that ;)

It's interesting the differences between the arguments here and over on Arrse, where a lot of the lads wanted to see a seperate clasp issued for Helmand (as opposed to KAF/KBL). I suspect since we've lost a couple of RAF Regt lads based in KAF that point has lost a certain degree of weight.

As to becoming more like the yanks. I'm not sure I buy that. There is still a reluctance to go down that route IMO from on high. There's been a fair bit of chat on here about badges etc. Ithink, I've you've done the tour you wear the gong. The medal office are very careful and being but a few days out will prevent the issue of even chocolate gongs like the QGJM :(

It's a technical point but the yank ribbons are not the same as medals. If they were they would need reinforced no1 jackets ;) Things like shooting etc can be displayed as a ribbon rather than our crossed rifles. I know that many people are very much against the whole boy scout badging/medals thing, but with the increased pace coalition and joint operations, I get the feeling that change is inevitable.

MR

Tall_bloke

Lantern Swinger

When I was working at the US Navy base in Bahrain, their PX was selling piles of ribbons in big plastic tubs - almost like pick'n'mix you used to get in Woolworths. I happened to remark this to a yank matelot who was stood next to me at the time, but of course being a yank matelot, and consequently having no idea what pick'n'mix was he just said "Huh?!"

WarMonger

War Hero
I remember that..cracking place...after a serious case of the rusty water I bought myself a purple heart in recognition of my suffering.....f**king RFA chefs!!

Its been very tempting to tack it onto my ones to see if anyone notices..lol!

beer_bosun

Lantern Swinger
Purple_twiglet said:
Not jealousy, I've got my own medals! Its anger that he is so blatantly screwing the system to get a medal and yet not deploying, when his branch is apparently desperate for volunteers to go somewhere and do their job for real. The idea of someone swanning round with an op tour medal, that they didn't earn, that they got solely for doing a jolly and which they will doubtless brag about has really upset me. If he wants a medal that badly, why isn't he volunteering to deploy? If he's got time for a jolly, he has time for a deployment.

Calm down Florence - its just something extra to clean isn't it - am glad to have made it to 10 years without one. If only the long service medal was still 15 years...

I'm a firm beleiver that the medals will find me (if they need to), not the other way round.

Rumrat

War Hero
fly_past said:
Have you seen Princ Phillip, Or Charles, Chest???
Full of gongs they are..... Wonder how they came to get them....
And as for prince Edward "failed Marine training" WTF is he getting gongs for?

I rather think Prince Phillip fought in WW2, and would think that might just qualify him. The majority of what Royals wear are NOT medals but Orders.
Seems like a lot of envy out there.
Every one in Singers in 65 received the GSM Malay Peninsula, personally, I do not remember much Combat around Boogie st except when the Kytes were angry. Still got it though, would you like to buy it? And unlike todays gongs ours are Silver not Cupro Nickle. :D :D :D :D

fleetchief

Badgeman
McHammock said:
(insert tongue firmly in starboard cheek)
You mean I get the Iraq medal when I go to Bahrain for 6 months later this year? o_O
Goodoh, thought I had dipped out. :whew:
Do I get the operational bonus?

(Tongue removed from cheek) :lick:

answer to first question is no. you have to be north of kuwait to qualify.
second question varies. if you get it say f*ck all.

danny

War Hero

SnaggyBosun said:
The last REAL service medal that a matlot deserved was the Falklands, all the others after that were just plastic, IMO.

Put the crack pipe down and step away. On herrick 9 there were stacks of matlots out on the ground. Myself included. Admititdly nothing happened when i went out but the IED threat is always there. I know of other matlots getting over 1000 rounds down. Lided MA's were out on the ground. And other lads were in IED strikes and in vehicles involved in RPG hits. I suggest you know little of which you talk about.
Bastion also came under inefective IDF attacks while something like 40% off its make up was RN.

daffy1

War Hero
After doing 2 tours of afgan and one of iraq, i do think there should be more of a difference in medals as myself a front line solider has witness and endured and compared to someone that has been in the vicinity is totally wrong. But rules are rules.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Waspie Going Dark The Quarterdeck 64
D Failed at Selection Interview - Looking for advice going forwards Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
MoD_RSS CNC and Kent Police joint initiative going strong one month after launch MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Going faster on global ambition to tackle climate change ahead of COP26 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Scotland’s tech sector going from strength to strength MoD News 0
MoD_RSS GFSL staff member going above and bee-yond at HMP Warren Hill MoD News 0
C Should I inform my afco about going to doctors? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
MoD_RSS If you're going to the coast .... MoD News 0
Anchor Faced Going Regular Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 22
Sumo 94 and going strong Current Affairs 2
MoD_RSS Education Secretary: We're going on a discipline drive in schools MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Unseen evil: Sex abuse in families going under the radar, say inspectorates MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Going East: Midlands healthcare firms head for a global future MoD News 0
MoD_RSS A UK-Ghana Partnership going Beyond Aid MoD News 0
MoD_RSS World going crackers for British cheese and wine MoD News 0
MoD_RSS If you’re going out to scare, know what to wear MoD News 0
D Going Joining the Royal Navy 1
MoD_RSS Bell from American ship destroyed in Second World War going home MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Going the extra historical mile MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: 'Going global' in higher education MoD News 0
L Injuries while under going phase 2 Health & Fitness 7
K 21 Civvie to RN Air Crewman/Observer, going for NSRT - got a few concerns! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
C Going to the dogs! Diamond Lil's 19
M Commissioned without going to AIB? Submariners 12
W Going From Merchant Navy Training To Royal Navy Joining the Royal Navy 3
TechFin Whats the age for going to BRNC? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
K Going home from Raleigh for a weekend? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
S CPOs going from square rig to fore-and-aft rig History 5
sj25105815 Ex Army, joining Navy age 36, going comms tech! Got questions Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 201
MoD_RSS News story: Defence Minister meets poppy producing veterans going for gold MoD News 0
Knightsrum Communications Apprentice training Aug 2016 - Who's going? RFA 9
explodingcookie Going home Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
J Pilot: How are you streamed into fast jet or rotary when going through training? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
Trainer NEM is not going down so well in certain quarters.... View from the UPO Finance & Pensions 61
M Going home UPO/Careers Office 1
L Going Outside - Joining the Merch Finance & Pensions 26
D Anyone else going to BRNC on the 25/7? RFA 0
E Education results going into the RN Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
Ageing_Gracefully Book Comp- At The Going Down of the Sun Competitions 17
P Anyone else going through the recruitment process losing interest? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 47
drewfester Royal Marine quizzed on going to fight ISIS whilst on leave Current Affairs 2
Gino RNZN Going Dry The Quarterdeck 30
Guski Anyone else going for TM Officer ? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
B going to Raleigh 26th Oct? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
R worth going submarines? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 27
W Going to sea... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
G Application going no further RFA 32
Dockyard Oyster New website for matelots going weekenders The Quarterdeck 28
Dockyard Oyster New website for matelots going weekenders Travel & The Great Outdoors 5
Dockyard Oyster New website for matelots going weekenders Motoring 1