Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Going on an RFA jolly to claim Afghan medal - morally wrong?

golf29

Re: Going on an RFA jolly to claim Afghan medal - morally wr

PT,

Is the person concerned called GF(ADM, PKB, NGSM,GSM) aka Tabard aka Rum Rat and walt lately of these forums by any chance?

Ollie

Blobmeister

Badgeman
RAF ground crews received the KFOR medal WHILST SERVING IN THE UK, going home to their beds at night and snuggling with the boy friend. Serving as part of KFOR bombing campaign.

When I was in Bosnia the first time, we had to do R&R at Brac, whilst chatting to the medic's they commented that they receive both SFOR & KFOR medals for supporting the Operations, they were on tour for 6 weeks and pretty much got loads of AT quals out of it!

brendan498

War Hero

It is interesting on the comments that you make purple twiglet so i just pulled one of them,most of the others are equally distasteful, and based on alleged rumours on some one unable to defend themselves,

First and foremost campaign medals and the rules that govern there award reflect the contribution made by the individual concerned,and his colleagues.

If i was a member of the unit that the alleged officer was operating from i would be pretty insulted by your comments regarding just being in hot sunny climes organising horse racing doing little of operational value.

If you qualify by the time set,in a operational theatre you deserve the medal,irrespective of your intentions

[quote=I do have a serious problem with a reservist deliberately setting out to find the easiest way to get 4 weeks qualifying time in order to win an operational medal. He gives us fellow reservists a very bad name indeed.

Lets not forget that while this individual will be running racetracks on a hot sunny ocean somewhere, doing very little of operational value (if anything) and in absolutely no danger whatsoever,

brendan498 said:
It is interesting on the comments that you make purple twiglet so i just pulled one of them,most of the others are equally distasteful, and based on alleged rumours on some one unable to defend themselves,

First and foremost campaign medals and the rules that govern there award reflect the contribution made by the individual concerned,and his colleagues.

If i was a member of the unit that the alleged officer was operating from i would be pretty insulted by your comments regarding just being in hot sunny climes organising horse racing doing little of operational value.

If you qualify by the time set,in a operational theatre you deserve the medal,irrespective of your intentions

I do have a serious problem with a reservist deliberately setting out to find the easiest way to get 4 weeks qualifying time in order to win an operational medal. He gives us fellow reservists a very bad name indeed. Lets not forget that while this individual will be running racetracks on a hot sunny ocean somewhere said:
Contributor Mode

Brenden

I for one would dispute this statement, Medals are for hero's who act above and beyond the expectation of their duty. Campaign medals should only be awarded to people who perform arduous duties in front line units.

I have a GSM (Borneo) have never worn it, even when I was still serving, and never will as IMHO sitting on a ship sailing in calm seas doing interdiction duties is hardly arduous service such as the Marines and Army go thru in sandy war zones or the jungles of Borneo. People who arrange jollies to rear parties of campaigns to qualify for a brooch are really below contempt.

Nutty

PS If you are in his unit I hope you feel insulted

I tend to agree with Nutty. Lets be frank about this. Very few RNRs who deploy to any theatre are placed in any real danger. We sit in air conditioned HQs, and for most of us what is outside the gate might as well be the moon for all the likelihood of going there. Little different in terms of risk from being on a ship, RFA or otherwise. Standfast those on Basra air base last year, or the boys and girls at Ferret elsewhere.

I remember one RNR war veteran, complete with his Kosovo 'experience' acquired on board a carrier. He wore a tee-shirt emblazoned with some kind of comment related to the effects of cruise misiles on Serb soldiers. Brave boy.

As for the warrior on the RFA for his medal who gave rise to this stream, anyone who defines his achievements by reference to the number of 'I've been there' badges are in need of pity verging on contempt.

ASDIC

Midshipman

Sadly I cannot agree with "few RNRs are in harms way". Only last week a member of the RNR had a rocket land 25M from where he was standing. Thankfully a T wall took the impact.
If you don't know what a T wall is, then pehaps you should reserve your sweeping judgements until you know just how many RNRs are in the FRONT LINE getting shot at, getting rocketted, getting mortared, driving around in IED-infested roads and flying over territory where people below them have SAMs. That, by my book, is harm's way!
Asdic

re Bisley's comments. How true, I had a lad working for me on the Invince that got a GW Medal for going around in circles off Cyprus.

I also worked with a Bootie that after coming back from the Falklands and worked on the Victory, there was a medal ceromony onboard for personal that worked in Pompey during the Falklands war......and when they were being given their medals, he did an about face and marched off!

brendan498

War Hero
i cant understand why we gave medals for fighting for an Island off Scotland it must have been small even google satellite cant find it

lukep

War Hero
brendan498 said:
i cant understand why we gave medals for fighting for an Island off Scotland it must have been small even google satellite cant find it

:toilet: :tp: Oh dear...

brendan498

War Hero

Im only joking lukey as i have the greatest respect for those who fought down south the most proffesional navy ,marines and Army, and crab fats

wave_dodger

MIA
Book Reviewer

ASDIC said:
you know just how many RNRs are in the FRONT LINE

Define front line. Helmand - Sangin, Gereshk, Kajaki, MSQ? Basra Province, Baghdad?

Given that the numbers of RNR deployed are very low, I'd have to say that very very few are on the front line. Indeed the only RNR I saw in AFG recently were in Kandahar and Bastion - fair enough a few rockets occasionally wang into KAF but there is as much chance of getting hurt as there is of getting knocked over by a bus at home. And before anyone objects I know that the COB is a relatively iffy place to be in also - got that t-shirt too and again there were precious few RNR in a base with 5000+ service personnel. The dangers all relative.

I'm not up for denigrating the danger that people face when deployed and I'm sure there are some RNR (as with the RN) who deploy and do get out into the weeds but they will be the rare exception, just don't big up the numbers or the real danger.

trehorn2

Lantern Swinger

ASDIC said:
Sadly I cannot agree with "few RNRs are in harms way". Only last week a member of the RNR had a rocket land 25M from where he was standing. Thankfully a T wall took the impact.
If you don't know what a T wall is, then pehaps you should reserve your sweeping judgements until you know just how many RNRs are in the FRONT LINE getting shot at, getting rocketted, getting mortared, driving around in IED-infested roads and flying over territory where people below them have SAMs. That, by my book, is harm's way!
Asdic

"a member"!!!!

Bearing in mind that there are less than 3000 people in the RNR the fact that you know "a member" does seem to enforce the point we're trying to get across here. If there had been many then i would expect such a small, close knit community as the RNR would know or have at least heard of any instances such as this.

I have heard of the RNR S/LT who was injured in the attack on the river patrol in Iraq.

You have to admit that the percentage of RNR's on the front line is small compared with the TA, RMR, RAF RGMT etc.

Those who serve, front line, up threat in a war zone etc deserve recognition however those people are few and far between.

lukep

War Hero
Sorry to digress.
My mate works for Blackwater USA In Iraq. I believe him and his buddies don't get anywhere near the amount of Gratitude and recognition for chasing down the bad guys and ensuring freedom and liberty for the rest of the white skinned world.
Doe's anybody else agree??

wave_dodger

MIA
Book Reviewer
lukep said:
for chasing down the bad guys and ensuring freedom and liberty for the rest of the white skinned world.

The same Blackwater that is being probed for the murder of 17 Iraqi civilians (on top of the previous 8), or the Blackwater that has opened fire numerous times on US military personnel, illegally imported silencers into Iraq........

Interesting use of "white skinned world", what exactly did you mean by that?

I agree with wave_dodger, don't like the term 'white skinned world'. I have met a lot of non-white guys serving in all arms of the forces, including some working for more interesting units, and I think that does them a disservice. Never mind the other, more obvious, implications of the term.

I think your last post may be treated a little more seriously after a nice edit!

lukep

War Hero
FFs sake fellas it's a fecking piss take. Take charge of ya heads, Is it late in England or what??

lukep said:
Sorry to digress.
My mate works for Blackwater USA In Iraq. I believe him and his buddies don't get anywhere near the amount of Gratitude and recognition for chasing down the bad guys and ensuring freedom and liberty for the rest of the white skinned world.
Doe's anybody else agree??[/quote

No

If you don't know what a T wall is, then pehaps you should reserve your sweeping judgements until you know just how many RNRs are in the FRONT LINE getting shot at, getting rocketted, getting mortared, driving around in IED-infested roads and flying over territory where people below them have SAMs.
Asdic[/quote]

When I was in Iraq, we had no T walls, only tents. Similarly in Lashkar Gah, no T walls there either - although our patrol vehicles were slightly armoured. Most of us do know how many RNRs are deployed in the front line. Very few - which were the words used above. Very few is not none.

Anyway, brass tacks; Anyone who goes to serve in whatever capacity deserves some recognition. The point is they should not ask to be treated (lets be fair most don't anyway) or seen as some form of grizzly veterans on a par with the army/RM combat units. They are not. They also serve who sit and type.

trehorn2

Lantern Swinger
lukep said:
Sorry to digress.
Doe's anybody else agree??

However it was intended mate that comment is in very bad taste!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Waspie Going Dark The Quarterdeck 64
D Failed at Selection Interview - Looking for advice going forwards Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
MoD_RSS CNC and Kent Police joint initiative going strong one month after launch MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Going faster on global ambition to tackle climate change ahead of COP26 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Scotland’s tech sector going from strength to strength MoD News 0
MoD_RSS GFSL staff member going above and bee-yond at HMP Warren Hill MoD News 0
C Should I inform my afco about going to doctors? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
MoD_RSS If you're going to the coast .... MoD News 0
Anchor Faced Going Regular Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 22
Sumo 94 and going strong Current Affairs 2
MoD_RSS Education Secretary: We're going on a discipline drive in schools MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Unseen evil: Sex abuse in families going under the radar, say inspectorates MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Going East: Midlands healthcare firms head for a global future MoD News 0
MoD_RSS A UK-Ghana Partnership going Beyond Aid MoD News 0
MoD_RSS World going crackers for British cheese and wine MoD News 0
MoD_RSS If you’re going out to scare, know what to wear MoD News 0
D Going Joining the Royal Navy 1
MoD_RSS Bell from American ship destroyed in Second World War going home MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Going the extra historical mile MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: 'Going global' in higher education MoD News 0
L Injuries while under going phase 2 Health & Fitness 7
K 21 Civvie to RN Air Crewman/Observer, going for NSRT - got a few concerns! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
C Going to the dogs! Diamond Lil's 19
M Commissioned without going to AIB? Submariners 12
W Going From Merchant Navy Training To Royal Navy Joining the Royal Navy 3
TechFin Whats the age for going to BRNC? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
K Going home from Raleigh for a weekend? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
S CPOs going from square rig to fore-and-aft rig History 5
sj25105815 Ex Army, joining Navy age 36, going comms tech! Got questions Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 201
MoD_RSS News story: Defence Minister meets poppy producing veterans going for gold MoD News 0
Knightsrum Communications Apprentice training Aug 2016 - Who's going? RFA 9
explodingcookie Going home Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
J Pilot: How are you streamed into fast jet or rotary when going through training? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
Trainer NEM is not going down so well in certain quarters.... View from the UPO Finance & Pensions 61
M Going home UPO/Careers Office 1
L Going Outside - Joining the Merch Finance & Pensions 26
D Anyone else going to BRNC on the 25/7? RFA 0
E Education results going into the RN Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
Ageing_Gracefully Book Comp- At The Going Down of the Sun Competitions 17
P Anyone else going through the recruitment process losing interest? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 47
drewfester Royal Marine quizzed on going to fight ISIS whilst on leave Current Affairs 2
Gino RNZN Going Dry The Quarterdeck 30
Guski Anyone else going for TM Officer ? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
B going to Raleigh 26th Oct? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
R worth going submarines? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 27
W Going to sea... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
G Application going no further RFA 32
Dockyard Oyster New website for matelots going weekenders The Quarterdeck 28
Dockyard Oyster New website for matelots going weekenders Travel & The Great Outdoors 5
Dockyard Oyster New website for matelots going weekenders Motoring 1