going in as AET but no experience in engineering ect at all

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by smithy12, Sep 10, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. im going in as an AET, going to raleigh 2nd nov but i have no experience at all in engineering or anything to do with the AET side of things this is partially why i chose this as it will be new and exciting for me and something for me to put 100% into as a fresh challenge. However will having no experience/idea prove a serious disadvantage in phase 2?
    any ideas/info welcome
    cheers

2. You should have no problems oppo. Learn as you go along.Pay attention to the instructors. youll be fine Ps The only experience i had before joining .Was that of a Paperboy :thumright:

3. Smithy, panic not. All you need to know you will be taught. All you WANT to know, you'll have to find out for yourself.....
    Good luck - keeping smiling and don't let the b#stards get you down.
    DE

4. cheers for the info, im a happy man now my mind is at rest, bring on raleigh!

5. Re: going in as AET but no experience in engineering ect at

I joined in 1963 a few months before my 18th birthday. In civie street I was a trainee manager for a grocery chain. reason I joined was to get trained as a sparkie and it worked wonderfully well. At each stage of promotion another course was attended (sometimes I even understood what was being taught) and my knowledge grew. At the end of my time I left and if I had needed it could have applied for electrician status as the training was acceptable and transferable to civilian employment.
    While in I also attended day release at the local college of knowledge (all paid for by HM Queen and Co)
    I have had two superb jobs one lasting seven years and the other twelve years, both working in an electrical capacity, both with world wide travel. i also had a crap job which lasted eighteen months before I escaped.
    These jobs were due to both my naval electrical training and also being able to work well with others (a byproduct of navy life).
    So don't be put off by your lack of experience, pay attention, use your educational allowance every year and from the moment you join start preparing yourself for your life (eventually) as a civie :thumright:

6. Oh my , dont wish to be pc, NOT, but do you have any interest in getting dirty, greasy..........reading electrical wiring diagrams........etc etc. Know which way to hold a spanner/screwdriver etc etc. God help your instructors

7. Re: going in as AET but no experience in engineering ect at

Smithy, I joined in 67 as a JNAM the junior equivalent of what you are joining as.

Apart from a keenness to take apart any thing and everything I too had no mechanical experience. Thats what training is all about.

Get stuck in, you'll enjoy it.

8. Re: going in as AET but no experience in engineering ect at

Smithy check your inbox I have sent you a message. From what I can see you are joining the same branch as me and you seem just as concerned about the lack of knowledge.

9. Ignore the damp rag which the Janner ball-hunter has thrown on; I am sure that the Careers Service will assure you that you would not have been selected to train as an AET if you had not displayed the aptitude necessary to solve electro-mechanical problems. That is, after all, what psychometric testing is supposed to do. Good luck with your future career fcuking airy-fairy WAFU twat.

10. Janner ball hunter..........hum!

11. We can give you good advice on being "pusser" with your kit :thumright:

12. Re: going in as AET but no experience in engineering ect at

You're on the same intake as me, you are not the only one without any experience, all I have is a GCSE in physics which could be considered remotely related.

13. Re: going in as AET but no experience in engineering ect at

Thats okay, fine as long as you have been to the University of Life :thumright:

14. please tell me you know the differance between a screwdriver and a spanner

15. Re: going in as AET but no experience in engineering ect at

How times have changed.

Twas a hammer, large or small in my day!!!! Or is that just rotary wing fine tuning!!!!!

16. is the answer

"you can use both as a standby hammer"

17. Re: going in as AET but no experience in engineering ect at

Stokers would carry a hammer, scrubbing brush and a toggy ( condom to you young un's )...

If you can't hit it, fcuk it, if you can't fcuk it, scrub round it. :thumright:

18. Re: going in as AET but no experience in engineering ect at

Once a grubber ..............always a grubber eh

19. Re: going in as AET but no experience in engineering ect at

:w00t: Forgot the wheel spanner on the leg side on your ovies ? :w00t: :thumright:

20. Re: going in as AET but no experience in engineering ect at

Being 6'-1'' Scouse I always carried a sectional :bball: