Going home

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by explodingcookie, Feb 18, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just wondering how often people leave base for home? I know it will be different for different situations but just wondering how often I 'may expect to come home'. (17, family and friends at home, 170 miles away)

2. Impossible to say.

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

You'll get at least six weeks paid leave a year, usually taken in two week blocks at Christmas, Easter & Summer. During Initial Naval Training, unless there's a main leave period scheduled, you'll not go home.

From phase two training onward, you can expect to work one in four weekends, and if you can afford it, you can go home for the others.

Once you join a ship, if it is alongside in UK, it's about the same. You can deploy overseas for periods of up to six months away, any longer (9 months) and you'll get a couple of weeks mid point to fly home. In theory, you'll spend 60% of your time on a ship in Your UK base port.

4. Isn't it two at xmas, two at easter and three in summer? If not I did a lot of dipping in. I was shore side a lot of time so wasn't earning sea goers leave either.

5. Which man's Navy were you in?!! :eek:

6. Had 4 weeks summer a few times as well. Once at Raleigh and the COs gizzit.

7. Putting them memory to work, and looking back to the 80s and 90s, 44 days annual laver per year (inc public holidays) BUT, only your 1st weekend of any leave period was 'Free', so 2 weeks leave starting on a Friday back to duty on a Monday was 14 days off your annual leave entitlement. On the plus side, if your leave included a journey of in excess of 5 hours each way you were entitled to a days travel time (fairly sure it was 5 hours, but I could be wrong on that one) this did not apply to those in Basic or Part 3 Training.

8. Weekends are not ever included in leave now. Im sure its something like 30 days plus bank holidays which works out at 2, 2 and 3 week blocks. Obviously if your on ship its dependant on duties and program.

9. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

Strange! Does anyone actually know what the RN leave allowance is?

10. Last time I looked - 30 days, 8 bank holidays and 1 day for every 9 deployed on operations ashore and 1 for every month at sea (the RAF and Army win again) so technically on board you can smash in up to 50 days a year - no idea when you are supposed to take it mind! 9-monthers also come with 14 days leave over the main support period included in the programme and on top of your annual allowance and your sea-goers.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Only the RAF and Army tend not to get runs ashore when their on ops.

12. Going home always costs money...so frequency of travel is a delicate balance between 'need' and 'affordabililty'. Don't get hung up about it. Some weekends you might be required for work anyway.

13. So do most the navy have 4 weeks of in the summer ?

14. No.

Leave is dependant on your Ship/Sub/Unit.
    You will get most of your leave for the year, just the dates will vary depending on where you are
    I dont think i have ever had 4 weeks off for summer.

2-3 weeks normally. When - see above

I think Raleigh do 4 weeks for summer leave but that is because they normally work bank hols..not too sure though

15. Ok thanks !

16. Trainer

Trainer War Hero Book Reviewer

OP, one further question - are you in the Fleet Air Arm????:D

17. Trainer - How did you guess :D

18. I'd hazard a guess and say it's because your first concern is time off.

• Funny Funny x 3