Going full-time?

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by BLUEsu, Feb 9, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just a quick question.

Does anybody know how straightforward (if at all possible) it is to transfer my RNR NE training across to full-time RN service?

I've completed all aspects of the recruitment process except SC ( :roll: ), which is taking forever and more.

As you know, RNR do not choose branches before they start training, so would I have to have another 'suitability' type interview? Or could I just pop into my AFCO and be at Raleigh the next day?

Thank you!

2. Re: RNR to RN

i believe it counts for nothing and you would have to carry out all basic training again. I think it's 9 weeks. One of gallant recruiters will be able to advise i would think

3. Re: RNR to RN

Uh, sorry! I wasn't referring to any of the curriculum I may have covered, but the recruitment process itself.

I have NE training tonight anyways, so I may ask there and post any information here incase it helps others!

4. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Re: RNR to RN

Generally its no as the RN system simply cant cope with people coming across and being inserted into the manning plot. The RN mannnig is done through a fairly complex plot, and the idea of RNR coming across and being inserted into a gap would mess the system up. Its exceptionally rare for people to do this, although they are thinking of changing it for a few special cases. Generally though, if you have no prior experience, expect to redo BRNC or RALEIGH again.

5. Re: RNR to RN

B-S, I recently applied for the RN having been in the RNR and am off to HMS Raleigh next month for the RN :) . Went to my local AFCO, who helped me through the recruitment process. To cut a long story short, had to do some bits again, but the AFCO recruiters will tell you what you need to do. Kept my RNR Divisional Officer in the loop. Hope this helps and good luck whatever you decide to do.

6. Re: RNR to RN

Finally got around to asking!

I only need to have another interview, to make sure I understand what my branch of choice involves. I was asked over the phone (with the AFCO) which branch I was interested in and I mentioned Communication Technician. Fortunately, my RT score was high enough for this branch so I have my interview next week.

Also, I finally got my SC through, and my PJFT and medical are all still valid.

The waiting time for CT's is about nine months. Plenty of time to sort out homelife, finances etc!

7. Well done Blue! Hope it all works out well.

8. Well, I had my interview about 20 minutes ago for Communications Technician, and I'm pleased to say that I've passed!

Will continue with civvy life for a while, because the next available entry date is May 2010!!! The AFCO said if someone drops out I may be in contest for the October 2009 entry (fingers crossed, eh?).

But all in all, a very simple conversion. The AFCO just needed to clarify the sudden change of heart, and also go through my finances in more detail.

Good stuff! Also, if all goes well, Petty Officer in four years.

9. Can you fail and interview?

Only pulling your leg shippers. Well done. Shame about the long wait though!

Alot can happen in 14 months!!!!!

10. PO in 4 years steaming who told you that m8e

11. The Careers Advisor at the AFCO did.

I'm not sure if it's something that's set in stone as long as you don't balls up, or whether it's something you should aspire to. But by the way he phrased it, it sounded like it's a given you'll be a P.O. within that time frame.

But, plenty of time to get super fit for Raleigh...silver lining 'n all.

12. Can't post links on this PC, but take a look for the thread in the Fleet forum about Communications Technicians. You should get Leading Hand after just over 2 years, after that promotion's on merit.

13. Ouch!

Well it looks like I'm a 'tard!

I spoke to my AFCO again today, to see whether he had any updates on my expected start date...

...and guess what? I'd got it all wrong! He actually meant May 2010 or October 2010! October this year is full, and May next year will be filled with the 8 peeps prior to me, so I'm on the list for October 2010 (Hope so!).

Apparently, I'm 13th on the list, and they only take 8 per intake, twice a year. He also mentioned there were quite a few behind me in the queue aswell, poor sods! If 5 people pull out, which ain't gonna happen, I may get to go in May.

Looks like the 24 month wait is back for CTs!