God Damned Deferred... Dammit!

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by OptiMystic, Jan 22, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Due to some delays in my application - namely some screw ups with the passport office that took about 3 months, I was asked to fill in another security form and send it in. I received it, filled it in same day, and sent it back the next - but they haven't received it yet.

As such, my joining date has now been deferred from the 17th of February until the 5th of April.

I've already put in my notice at work on the basis that if the security clearance was delayed, they would issue a security waiver until clearance came through - this now isn't the case. My work won't recall the notice.

To sum it up, I think the following would be apt. Bugger.
  2. Two and a half months of your life.

Go running!
    Get a paper round :)
    (Live off your parents)
  3. lol, sounds great in theory. But I'm 24 and my parents managed to detach my mandibles from them a long while ago - they're not too keen on me trying it again either lol.

Screw running, already decided I'm going to spend the time sorting out my swimming.

But what a screw up :-( Looks like I might have to try out agency work for a bit :\ I don't panic easily fortunately, but frustration is high.
  4. Don't be too downhearted though, it IS only a couple of months :)
    Agency work will be all well and good, but how about voluntary work? Could you afford to do it? It would look better I think if you were to be asked what you had been up to due to the lapse in your joining date and you were to say working as a volunteer on XYZ :)
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

What often happens is that an allocated entry date is bid for pending security clearance. If a completed security clearance form is over 6 months old, it is invalid & cannot be submitted.

Similarly if the Defence Vetting Agency (DVA) write to you requesting further information & you do not reply within the specified timescale (between 10 & 21 days maximum), then the Security Clearance application is automatically cancelled as it costs £2.5K on average to process. If the basic checks (including two favouarble References returned to the AFCO) are completed in time & the candidate has a valid passport, a waiver maybe applied for.

What can also happen is that if someone does not produce a valid passport within 4 weeks of their provisional offer of service entry date, they fail to meet the conditions of entry for service & are withdrawn from an allocated entry.

Sadly if ANY of the criteria is not met, the provisional entry date is withdrawn.
  6. I'm ok really, just a touch deflated I guess. Had myself all psyched up to join and it was just a bit of an anti-climax. Not touching my determination though - almost relieved in a way as it DOES give me a little extra time to get my swimming sorted.

I could afford a couple of weeks, but not a month and a half. I'll sort something out, always works out in the end!

Ninja - it hasn't actually been 3 weeks yet, the replacement paperwork was only received sometime last week. They have copies of all the relevant information and I was assured 100% that I'd be in on a waiver at least. It's not a huge problem, just more than a bit frustrating.
  7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Not sure what 'hasn't been 3 weeks yet'. If DVA required a response within a specified period (Sometimes within 10 days, sometimes within 21 days) & didn't get it, they cancel it. It is then necessary to submit a fresh Security Clearance application form if the candidate fails to respond. If either the DVA or AFCO did not recieve the fresh Security Clearance Form, they cannot submit it nor apply for a waiver. A waiver is unfortunately only 100% assured if the information requested is provided within the stated timescale.
  8. Ah well, it's just unfortunate. Not sure why they didn't receive the new forms, but it's pointless to dwell on what can't be changed. Have still got my pre-entry meeting tomorrow so I'll just make sure I get all forms filled in (again) there.
  9. Bad luck mate. Pitty I wont be seeing you down there but at least you can work on your swimming.
  10. Just think, you will manage to get your fitness up to beyond better standards and excel even more.
  11. Well, my fitness is ok for the most part. Now doing sets of 50 press ups, did my run this morning in 10:50 - can still be improved, but still ok.
    Just the swimming to focus on now.