God bless Gwen - you will be missed xx

Discussion in 'Nearest & Dearest' started by Jenny_Dabber, Jul 19, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. On the 13th July 2007 at 00:30am, one of our original RR members, Maleficent, had sadly passed away from secondary cancer of the brain. Her funeral will take place today at the Stafford Crematorium, Tixall Road, Stafford at 15:00pm.

Gwen was an outstanding and loving woman, this news has come as a great shock to myself. She, however, has requested that we do not feel sad for her but to keep smiling.

Gwen has also requested for no flowers, however, if you wish to pass on your condolences, please see the below link;

Click here

God bless and R.I.P lady xx
  2. Didn't realise this lady had posted to RR ?.
    I didn't know her personally, except as a poster on that site, very forthright and a very nice person.

:) and a :thumright: for her..
  3. Despite only knowing Gwen through the web and the various RN sites her character and personality came through very strongly . A sad loss indeed for her family and the RN community . Her close connection with all things ' pusser ' was great and her generosity to the RNA unlimited . Her contributions will be missed by all I'm sure and today my thoughts are with the lads taking care of her . May she rest in peace , Vale Gwen.

( I had no luck with the link so hope this is OK here )
  4. You can access direct to:

5. RIP Gwen.
  6. I never knew her, but from the posts here and in the other forum I can tell she was well liked and a good contributer. People like this are becoming fewer.

Rest in Peace Gwen.
  7. RIP Gwen ,
  8. She was a lovely lady, great sense of humour and massive heart!
  9. I'm sorry I did not know the lady, but RIP Gwen wherever that may be....
  10. I never had the pleasure of meeting you Gwen.

God Bless sweetheart, Rest In Peace.......
  11. Iraise me tot glass to you gwen.God Bless.
  12. RIP Gwen, you will be fondly remembered :)
  13. Gwen Oates Davies may your God be with you on your Last Patrol. With out doubt you have gone to the same destination as Peter. Two peas from the same pod if ever there was.

Gwen also known as GOD, Goat, Poshperson and various other less than complimentary names, was a personal friend of my wife and I as was her husband an ex L/S RP 2, Ganges 1962 and 1st Commission of HMS Penelope who preceded her by 4 years. Gwen was actively involved in the RNA Cyprus, Ganges Association, and financially kept the Submariners Barrow site running when the sponsor pulled out at short notice. She was a feisty lady who readily spoke her mind giving no quarter whatever the rank of her adversary.

When the RNA in Cyprus set up their web site I was the 11th entry in the guest book and told then to take care of Gwen as she was an asset. I have reproduced entry number 12 below to indicate a lady who's only initial connection with the navy was to have a husband and brother in law who served on the Lower Deck.

"12. James Perowne - 2005-09-23 10:00:32

Congratulations on a great site and it is good to see the RNA thriving in Cyprus.

All the best for your Trafalgar Night dinner on this special year
    All the best to all you members and I agree with the guest before me.
    Look after Gwen, she is a great asset to your branch.

Best of luck to all your shipmates

James Perowne
    President of the Submariners’ Association"

Little more needs to be said of a lady who was "A Diamond Geezer"

PS just in case the nam Perowne rings no bells try Admiral Sir James Perowne Rtd.
  14. I only discovered Gwen had died last night when reading Gwen's Grot, after a long absence. I too was very shocked.

RIP Dear Gwen!
  15. Gwens death has come as a shock to me. I used to chat to her approx 14 months ago or maybe a bit more. A lovely lady and most friendly. She will be sadly missed by many a matelot both in UK, and the Antipodes.

Rest easy in the safe anchorage, dear Lady.
  16. I posted this on the Barrow Submarine site in July as a token of respect to a lovely lady…

Gwen was the first to speak to me
    when I first came on here
    and though she made me welcome
    she also made it clear
    that I must behave myself
    no swearing if I stay
    and if I did forget myself
    there was hell to play.

A total female chauvinist
    She kept us all amused
    by reading us our horoscopes..
    we were so abused….
    She never lacked an answer
    And always had the edge
    All with a tongue that was so sharp
    That it could clip a hedge

But now she’s gone and crossed the bar
    And it’s fair to say
    This place will seem so empty
    Now she’s gone away
    So rest in peace dear lady
    Please don’t forget us all
    Especially this old stoker
    When he comes to call.

I somehow feel so very sad
    But also very proud
    Although like most I knew her
    As just one in a crowd
    And even though we never met
    I worshipped from afar
    A truly lovely lady
    She was a superstar.
  17. I'm sorry I did not know the lady, but RIP Gwen
  18. Very sorry
  19. Just to let you know, I understand, at Gwens request her ashes are kept above the bar in the RNA at Uxbridge, Middx, where she had many friends. Her ashes are taken by the lads on all runs ashore, banyans and jollies.

Gwen travels onwards and upwards that is of course if Old Nick grants her a make and mend or LWE.

GWEN at BBQ

Sidon Mermorial Day 2005 Portland

Left to right: Sheerlegs, Jaque La Douste, Gwen, Ginge, Peewee, and SwampyNick(Sidon Survivor now on his last Patrol)

20. Very sad to hear. Rest Well!

ps. If you use image cave rather than photobucket, DII users can see pics.