Goalkeeper or RAM?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by WhizzbangDai, May 25, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This isn't based upon any news, but, in my own techie way i'm curious as to why the RN used the Phalanx and Goalkeeper systems, when a Rolling Airframe Missile launcher seems to be the more CIWS?

Any extra info to help me with AIB, and all that...
  2. Simples really, the RN already had the missile system and needed a gun sytem to complement it.
  3. After leaving the RN I worked as a field engineer for BAe installing Phalanx on type 42s. The Phalanx system is a very much what you see is what you get. A pair of Phalanx could be installed, harbour trialed and sea trialled in twelve weeks, far shorter than anything else available at the time. Goalkeeper was a better system but required more room and longer installation times.
    Sea trials against a towed target were extremely impressive and 100% hit rate was achieved on all the sea trials I ever presented.
  4. The American warships tend to use SeaRAM in conjunction with Phalanx in the same way that our ships would generally use seawolf (and now Aster 15) missiles in conjunction with goalkeeper/phalanx. They are in no way an "either or" set of systems. The missiles systems are short range and the automated turret systems and close range, each protecting the ship in their own sphere of influence.
  5. HMS York had SeaRAM fitted in place of her port PHALANX in 2001 for a set of trials. I don't believe that it ever fired or sparked much interest in actually purchasing SeaRAM as a replacement.

Oh..Hello by the way...I am a new joiner on here and thought I would drop in my first post with a random fact...
  6. Welcome Wobbly :)
  7. As mentioned above, RAM is more akin to Seawolf or Aster 15 (I think we are supposed to be calling it 'Seaviper' aren't we - ie the wikipedia article I have just googled gives it a range of 7.5 km (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RIM-116_Rolling_Airframe_Missile), whereas Phalanx and Goalkeeper are, as their category would indicate 'Close In Weapons System' - more details from Google if you are interested. Another link is here: http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/munitions/ram.htm)

Globalsecurity.org and fas.org are my 2 favourite sites for research on such things along with wikipedia. There is stacks of information in the public domain about virtually any weapon system in use today.