GMT Time

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by seafarer1939, Oct 30, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I know there will be two sides to this debate but from a selfish point of view I'm glad the proposed change seems to be kicked in to touch.
    Darkness at 9.00am here oop North is not acceptable as the papers say,school children walking to school in the daylight down South means children walking in the dark up North and Scotland.
    GMT is the Meridian so it should stay IMO but naturally there will be dissent.
  2. I must admit to not having a clue about the benefits of the clock change, until that is, i saw a short report on the subject on television not long ago, it basically was the darkness that would be a problem for children on there own, how light can be a saving grace at times when some idiot tries to get hold of a child and he/she is spotted by another member of public.

I always thought.."So what, change it or keep it the same i am not bothered"

Now i believe we should keep the current system.

But i would like to see a report on the pros and cons if i was to ever have to vote on a change.
  3. I don't know much about this issue but I do know that GMT means Greenwich Mean Time which sort of renders redundant the "TIME" in the thread title.
  4. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

I love the daft drips and moans about the length of watches and who's doing what this always causes. Time zones are another one.

Well spotted Einstein. Are you going to explain his theory of relativity.
  5. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

Surely BST was introduced as a means of helping Farmers,Double ST was used during the 2nd WW for the same reason, the safety of children was not a part of the reason for the change.
  6. We have lived with it for quite a few years now, so whats the problem ?
  7. Good point about GMT seafarer: Don't really know what to say on this one. Seems we're a bit better off sleep-in time, but we've been doing it for yonks. Now a change. It's not going to be like that one where the French decided we should all use UTC instead of GMt is it ??
  8. I could if you want me to, casting pearls sort of thing. I'd rather explain tauto...on second thoughts, casting pearls again. :wink:
  9. Hmmm! Difficult one this one ... Darkness at 09:00 means that kids walk to school in darkness ... but presumably moving the clocks back to GMT means that its just about dawn?? But what time does it get dark??? The fact that sunset now occurs an hour earlier then surely the kids will be walking home in darkness ??? We've got 8 weeks until the shortest day so that means that sunrise / sunset will converge at approx 15mins per week thus in 8 weeks it move 2 hours (1 hour each way) so kids will be walking to and from school in darkness. What really worries me is the amount of kids who walk around with dark clothing in the twilight. It may not be trendy or hip to be seen in a day-glo reflective jackets etc but at least if they are wearing light / reflective clothing (especially in poorly lit rural areas) then there is less chance of them ending up as a bonnet mascot! And whilst I agree that light can help to deter preditors (pervs) ... kids do get taken in broad daylight as well.

On the bright side ... we only have until 21st December (Shortest Day) before the days start drawing out and spring is just around the corner!
  10. Anything that makes us different from the rest of Europe must be a good thing.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. It has been stopped before on a few occasions and never worked also they have tried two hory cahange that was a complete disaster so i thin they should leave well enough alone
  12. Whats makes us any different?? ... they go forwards and backwards on the same day as us (only remain an hour ahead).
  13. Did you type that in the dark?
  14. There is a reason as to why China only has one time zone for its vast land empire. And it is to do with political control.
  15. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Unless he means it's time of year to change back to GMT, or time to discuss the issue of GMT. In either case the extra 'time' would be permissable.
  16. As Granny has pointed out, we had "double British summer time" during (and slightly after?) the war. Didn't seem to do us any harm. I always thought it was done so that the German bomber crews didn't have to alter their watches when crossing the Channel.

17. Well spotted.:boogie:
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  18. So we continue to do this so that kids dont have to walk to school in the dark (well for some of the Winter anyway).

More like so their weak and feckless parents dont have to drive them to school in the dark!

and another thing, cars driving around in the dark normally have big fecking shiny lights on so not exactly difficult to miss - even for suicidal kids!

if they still persist in getting themselves run over t hen that can only be an improvement to the universal gene pool - part of lifes natural section process, one could say

it has been an early start and i am now bored - standing by..................
  19. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

"More like so their weak and feckless parents dont have to drive them to school in the dark!"

Legs...feet...WALK. No wonder the children of today are getting 'plump', (a word no longer used ), my generation never were driven to school. We met our friends and walked, or ran, skylarked, kicked a tennis ball around. Our daily bowl of gruel kept us going till dinnertime, then we munched happily on the crusts of bread left over from the day before, if we were lucky maybe a scraping of margarine, or on high days, a hint of strawberry jam. Ahhh...happy days !!
  20. Did a quick straw pole this morning driving to work ... most of the cars going into the village had one driver and one kid being delivered to school ... and then the chuffing idiots park right on the corner blocking the road making it extremely difficult to get around without being hit by another berk trying top find somewhere else to park before abandoning theirs car to walk 50yrds to the school gates! Arghhh!!!! Then we have the school bus ... does it pull into the marked parking bay painted on the road at great expense by the council ... nah does it feck ... parks half way across the road so you have to swing around it and nearly hit another idiot trying to park.

The answer is obvious ... send kids to school aged 3 and they stay there period until they are 18 at which point you will have either moved or changed the locks! This will cut down on the traffic on the roads and also means that the "trouble and strife" can be made to go back to work rather than sitting at home all day doing sweet stuff all.

Standing by for incoming!
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2011