Gloster Meteor

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by scouse, Mar 5, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Happy 70th birthday 5th March

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  2. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

The one in whuich Teddy Donaldson won the World Air Speed Record can be seen at Tangmere, alongside the Hunter which did the same later.
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I didn't realise the RN flew Meteors. I take it they were never carrier borne?
  4. Seaweed

Used ashore for training. When I was on S/Lts' courses at Brawdy the Cdr(Air) needed to get some hours in and I managed to bag the back seat. "What's that ship Seaweed?" "can't make it oput from here Sir." "Let's go down and have a look". So I read the name off the bow, above me. Fortunately no shitehawk wanted a little sleep in the engine.
  5. Yes, remembered them at Brawdy, target towing and radar calibration. Nopes Ninja, not able to operate from carriers.
  6. Seaweed

Some of the Meteor's contemporary the Vampire were fitted with hooks and a Vampire was used by Captain Eric 'Winkle' Brown for an insane experiment involving wheels-up landings onto a rubber deck on board HMS Warrior. The problem, which perhaps might have been foreseen, was that the a/c then had to be lifted up and got onto its wheels again. Vampires were also used for training, and, in a green livery, one was FONAC's Green Parrot. The Vampire's derivative the Venom did go to sea as the Sea Venom, the RN's night-fighter replacement for the Sea Hornet, later superseded by that death-trap the Sea Vixen.

I think the FAA Museum has a Vampire in naval livery.

Meteors were also used by Fleet Reqts Units for AA practice of various sorts but by 1968 were limited to 250K (as I discovered when I asked one to speed up for a ship's Inspection).
  7. Still in service it would seem