Global Warming

come_the_day

Lantern Swinger
Allnightin said:
[
Energy payback for windpower is as much as a factor of 80, while coal and gas are of the order of 5 so your bit about never recouping the build cost of wind in saved energy just isn't right.
Happy to stand corrected, if I can believe all the suppositions and imponderables in the Ernst and Young survey. But I don't have to like those awful great thrumming things that so much open ground is becoming infested with.

I was in Israel some years ago and there was a plan to pipe the Med (not all of it, of course) down to the Dead Sea and have massive hydro-electric generating capacity as a result. Don't know if it ever happened.

OSLO

War Hero
come_the_day said:
Allnightin said:
Although you quoted it, you didn't follow up on my point about building renewable energy sources while we have cheap energy sources available.
Sorry, my grey cells are on the way out! I had said, but deleted it before sending, that I don't know of any cheap energy sources available. Certainly, to take "renewable" wind energy, the cost of building the infernal fan, added to upkeep costs and likely disposal costs at the end of its life, added to the cost of treating depression for many who live near one and the likelihood that it will never recoup its build cost in saved energy, means it's a non-starter for me. Nobody appears to have cracked wave power, as yet, so the only good bet is solar power, which appears to be a goer.
Nuclear?

OSLO

War Hero
Allnightin said:
Personally I reckon that much more could be made of the waste biomass that just goes to the tip or rots on the ground and use that in Combined Heat and Power plant at the local level. It is also storeable unlike wind or solar but it needs more development to make it commercially viable and a recognition of the value of the natural resources around us.
Fully agree! Look at Sweden for examples of CHP produced energy. Also solves the landfill problem. Now, if only the NIMBYs would accept that the emissions from an energy-from-waste plant are minimal (as in, your BBQ last weekend produced more toxins than an entire EFW plant in a month, or some such statistic), then we'd all be happier. Architects are also designing EFW plants to look more modern and less power station-y: there are 2 new ones with a new design, one by Heathrow another near Bracknell, as 2 examples.

chieftiff

War Hero
Sorry to drag up an old topic but there seems to be some news in on Global Warming, anyone heard of the terms "fudge" and "factor"?

If I were developing a world climate model then Gulf Stream temperature and variance as well as El Nino event frequency and temperature range would probably be up there with rain, cloud, temperature and sun before I claimed my model was "accurate" That's the problem with non-linear dynamics, small variations will lead to large inconsistancies, it will bite you in the ass. The IPCC were so quick to defend their findings last year on the basis that all the "important " scientists had signed up to their "conclusions" Oh well, shove another quid in the carbon offsetting scam I suppose as penance for being a cynic..........

From the Telegraph

Global warming will stop until at least 2015 because of natural variations in the climate, scientists have said.

............Noel Keenlyside of the Leibniz Institute of Marine Sciences, Kiel, Germany, said: "The IPCC would predict a 0.3°C warming over the next decade. Our prediction is that there will be no warming until 2015 but it will pick up after that."

He stressed that the results were just the initial findings from a new computer model of how the oceans behave over decades and it would be wholly misleading to infer that global warming, in the sense of the enhanced greenhouse effect from increased carbon emissions, had gone away...........

.............The IPCC currently does not include in its models actual records of such events as the strength of the Gulf Stream and the El Nino cyclical warming event in the Pacific, which are known to have been behind the warmest year ever recorded in 1998............

chieftiff

War Hero
21_Man said:
I still think it is the same disease [with variation] that Canute suffered from
Absolutely, I can't see any of us holding back the waves of excess and less than effective "punishment" taxes. If it's not carbon rest assured it would be something else, methane tax?

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
I found the picture, but didn't want to start a new thread just for it. So I searched and found this. Some good posts and since it is getting for 12 years since the last post, and things are still relevant, it seems worth letting it run again.

Anyway, St Greta........

1576358796705.png

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
I'm in Pompey tonight. Let me tell you - there is NO global warming here at the moment!

Brass and Monkeys spring to mind!

BillyNoMates

War Hero
I thought global warming was caused by all them cows dropping their guts all the time.
If this is the case then there is a simple solution. Add this to the cattle feed:

Gaviscon_Advance_Peppermint_Flavoured_Suspension_-_500ml_30.jpg

... and all the glaciers will stop dropping to bits and the North Pole will stay were it is.
I also don't get how they're burning down rain forests. Rain means its all soggy and soaked does it not? Takes a determined bastard to set fire to a wet tree.

InstaDan

Lantern Swinger
So you don't believe in climate change because this meme tells you not to?

You could actually do a bit of research into Judith Curry and see that at no point does she state that Climate Change is a hoax.

Here are some quotes from her if you'd like:

"If all other things remain equal, it's clear that adding more carbon dioxide to the atmosphere will warm the planet,"

On what percentage human actions have on climate change - "It might be around 50 percent or even a little less. I mean this is what we don't know"

"Her message that day on Capitol Hill was, in essence, that while humans may be contributing to climate change, we simply don't know how the climate will behave in the coming decades, so there may be no point in trying to reduce emissions."
This of course plays well to a government that is looking to make money by reinvigorating the US's coal industry.

Stop spreading fake news, it makes you look like an idiot.

Here is a source for you as you were incapable of checking for one yourself :)

Stirlin

War Hero
So you don't believe in climate change because this meme tells you not to?

You could actually do a bit of research into Judith Curry and see that at no point does she state that Climate Change is a hoax.

Here are some quotes from her if you'd like:

"If all other things remain equal, it's clear that adding more carbon dioxide to the atmosphere will warm the planet,"

On what percentage human actions have on climate change - "It might be around 50 percent or even a little less. I mean this is what we don't know"

"Her message that day on Capitol Hill was, in essence, that while humans may be contributing to climate change, we simply don't know how the climate will behave in the coming decades, so there may be no point in trying to reduce emissions."
This of course plays well to a government that is looking to make money by reinvigorating the US's coal industry.

Stop spreading fake news, it makes you look like an idiot.

Here is a source for you as you were incapable of checking for one yourself :)

Chill......
-
beer.jpeg

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
buffer01 Petitions 52
Oil_Slick Diamond Lil's 18
Bergen Diamond Lil's 2