Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by waveyourflag, Jul 8, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. im only slightly short sighted, i only need glasses when maybe reading a board at the back of the class or possibly watching TV from a distance, will i need to constantly wear them in the RN, or could i just carry them around in my pocket and use 'em if i need too
  2. Wear them when you need them.
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Unless they're welded to your head, we'd advise you to wear them when maybe reading a board at the back of the class or possibly watching TV from a distance

4. Does it have to be a board?, or is he allowed to read posters as well?
    Its a bit shortsighted not to include them. :oops: :roll:
  5. Is blinking allowed? I go completely blind about every 10 seconds, then my vision quickly returns. Is this a problem?
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Sorry, wasn't aware the individual wanted to read posters too.

In this case we'd probably insist the individual wore spectacles in accordance with dress regulations and whenever the need to squint occurred.
  7. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I can wipe dust off my cornea in the blink of an eye... :wink:
  8. Thanks Ninja, its good to see "care in the community" hasn't fell to the "cuts" :D :D .
  9. 10 seconds 8O That's not a blink, that's getting your head down you tired [email protected] :wink:
  10. When I blink, I blink fast. I hardly ever blink. Miss too much of life.

I do have a question though. I wear glasses, what's the current frame fashion in the Navy as I'm soon going to be getting a new pair and when I finally get in I want to look "Fly" to gain my peers' respect.
  11. If you're in the US, you get these

nicknamed 'birthcontrol glasses' for obvious reasons
  12. Anyone got a picture of the MOD issue ones?

I remember seeing them in an old 1960's photo and they look a bit like Joe 90 glasses. Cracking.
  13. I remember the MOD issue glasses for wearing with an AGR. Round lenses with flexible metal arms..real kiddly fiddler specials.
  14. Is that "kiddy fiddler" or "kiddly fidder" there is a distinct difference you know :)
  15. Had a bloke on a boat who wore them at sea so we called him the kiddly fiddler to soften the blow :wink:
  16. Wait, shit, I'm short sighted too...

Does this mean I've got to get permission to blink, AND permission to look at posters?
  17. Should be OK mate.

Just slap in a request form. :)
  18. I knew it. I can't even gawp at A5 knockers without filling in paperwork.

God damn bureaucrat's.