Glasgow Helo crash.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by BillyNoMates, Dec 2, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The police doing their job. Glaswegians enjoying a night out.
    I wish to express my condolences to all those who have been
    affected by this tragic event. So close to Christmas (no matter
    how much bah-humbug we joke about) - my thoughts are
    with all the families who have suffered loss, and I wish all those
    who have been injured, a speedy recovery.

• Like Like x 6
  2. I echo those sentiments Billy.....:rose:
  3. Levers_Aligned

Levers_Aligned War Hero Moderator

Stayed in the Holiday Inn a couple of times last year, bang opposite. We ventured toward the Clutha but about turned when we saw some feller drag his missus out by the hair and give her a pasting out on the sidewalk outside. So e went in the Scotia nearby - another bothy-pub - which smelled like it had a billion jockfarts varnished into the woodwork. It was part of it's 'character', apparently.

Horrid day for all, Friday. RIP.

4. Oh FFS - like it doesnt happen anywhere else :roll:

I take it you never got as far as the Sarry Heid then?

As for the crash - See BNM's post - Well put Billy- an utter tragedy angry9:
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  5. Yes, heartrending for all concerned although I dislike the criticism in some corners of the time it took the fire brigade to recover the bodies, this is a building on the verge of collapse with aviation spirit all about the place, you just don't blunder in.
  6. Sadly not the first time!

Years back when on 819 we had been working with the police help from G/Gow. On return to Prestwick we were informed the crew we had been working with had flown into a block of flats in Glasgow in fog.

A very sad incident. Thoughts are with all those involved in this crash, crew, public and rescue services.
  7. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

8. Still anyone's guess at cause.

What I find strange, I have never heard of a helicopter crash which has stated the rotors were stationary at impact!

Maybe Pontious or another piloty person/aircraft engineer can shed light.
  9. So no auto-rotation, if the blades were in a stopped position during descent ?
  10. I thought with the free turbine the rotors would rotate unless a transmission failure had incurred. But the engines failed and they stated there was no fault with the transmission!
  11. Double flame out!!!!!!!!!!
  12. Yes! But even so, surely the free turbine would allow the rotors to rotate. Unless the pilot had flared and reduced the NR to Zero!

The report said at impact the rotors were stationary!!! That is strange - to me!
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Still a few things to be made clear I think Waspie, at least the accident board are getting on with it and maybe finally put the lid on a sad event.
  14. Yup, it does say it's an interim report, findings to be reported later.
  15. Morning Waspie,

When HMS Portlands Lynx was recovered the head and blades shows few signs of damage from impact, (slight deformation to form, but no mangled components), indicating they were not under power, I.e. Turning. Unfortunately, the route cause of that tragic accident was never really fully uncovered!

I am currently unable to read the PDF, so cannot comment further, but my first thoughts on seeing the TV footage at the time was the similarities between the 2 accidents.
    • Like Like x 1