Gladiator Visits British Forces Families in Germany

Discussion in 'Blogs' started by DasBoot, May 29, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. [align=center]ANOTHER GOLD FOR DU’AINE LADEJO [/align]

He is already a superstar on the athletics field and now he has won first place in the hearts of the families of the 4th Mechanised Brigade whose loved ones are currently deployed on operations in Iraq.

Du’aine Ladejo, a two-time Olympic medallist and star of the 2008 SKY ONE revival of Gladiators, took time out of a busy schedule to visit the wives and children of British Forces families based in Osnabrück Germany. His morale-boosting visit, organised by CSE (Combined Services Entertainment), came at an important time for the families, as they prepare to welcome home their loved ones after serving for six months in Iraq.

Whilst the media focuses on the soldiers and the role they undertake on operations, Du’aine was taken aback by the way that the families cope with the separation and the stresses endured during deployment.

“I am really impressed with how the Army community pull together during deployment, and through talking to many of the wives, I can see how difficult it must be for them to keep the family structure alive. It is such a positive atmosphere and a great family communityâ€, said Du’aine. While spending almost three hours signing autographs and having his photograph taken, he said: “It is very tough on the children and I am very impressed with how they cope.â€

As a keen promoter of sports in schools Du’aine was honoured to present the winning trophies to the teams who had taken part in a local football tournament. It was clear that the children were in awe of his sporting achievements.

“This is my first CSE Tour and I have really enjoyed it,†explained Du’aine. “I have been visiting schools for 14 years, but I have not had any contact with the Army before now. After today, I am really looking forward to working with CSE again.â€

The excitement over the visit was fuelled by his recent appearance on the new hit TV series Gladiators. As ‘Predator’, Du’aine Ladejo insists he is ‘one of the good ones’ and whilst the younger children were in awe, one teenager threw down the gauntlet whilst a young toddler decided to try and stare him out.

Nicky Ness, CSE’s Director of Entertainment commented, “this is our second event this year with the 4th Mechanised Brigade, following a visit by glamour girl Lindsey Strutt in March. We are delighted to be back with Du’aine in support of a much deserved morale boost!â€

Copied from blogs (original entry) - post comments here.