Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Give up the Ghost - American Navy Biggest, Baddest, Bestest

Re: Give up the Ghost - American Navy Biggest, Baddest, Best

I know it is popular to bash the Yanks by the liberal elite, press and BBC, but I have an enduring memory of returning to the the Invincible at about midnight the Friday before sailing to the Falklands War on the monday, to find some American Airforce trucks alongside, unloading the latest sidewinder missiles for our air group. Thanks for that Guys.
Not like our closest neighbour who stayed behind to assist the Argintinians with the Super Etendard fix for Exocet .
RoofRat
 
Re: Give up the Ghost - American Navy Biggest, Baddest, Best

One ship I was in, doing exercises in the Med, we exchanged some crew.
When the US guys went back to their carrier (can't remember the name - sorry) the skipper of their ship thanked ours for the wonderful time his men had learning Royal Naval customs :!:

He'd had to send them all to their billets to sleep them off !

:lol:
 
Re: Give up the Ghost - American Navy Biggest, Baddest, Best

Had an American OPS room crew on the Bedivere during TELIC and spent loads of time rafted up in the NAG replenishing with them.....they're like anyone else some are really good some are tossers....Have to say though the tossers tended to be dangerous as well...!!

Whilst doing UD patrol and rafted up with one of our MCMV and one of theirs had an interesting conversation with a yank who insisted on remaining at his post on his grenade launcher, with the safety catch off a round up the chuff...on the INBOARD side whilst we were cross decking MDC's!

Needless to say I made my way rapidly to the flight deck !!
 
Re: Give up the Ghost - American Navy Biggest, Baddest, Best

BootneckYank said:
Since I've been a member of RR/arrse, I've intentionaly stayed out of US bashing/baiting threads for two reasons:

1) This is your pool, and I have no business p*ssing in it.

2) I agree with a lot of what you say, particularly when it comes to the mess our fearless leader is making in the world today.

But seeing this thread resurrected reminds me that I still have a little US Marine in me somewhere, and I can't just let it slide this time. I'll spare you the flag-waving righteous indignation, and just make a simple statement: The US Marines/Sailors/Naval aviators that I served with were some of the most highly trained and skilled people that I've ever known. The very fact that I'm alive today is a testament to that skill and professionalism.

I'm not arrogant enough to believe the above statement is going to change your views, and I don't expect it to, just wanted to add my two cents worth.

I'll show myself to the door now.


Well said!
We're just sinking to this guy's level with this thread.
 
Re: Give up the Ghost - American Navy Biggest, Baddest, Best

I've done some work with the RAF and bumpted into some Army and Marines in my time. (all in Iraq) I had no major issues at all. We all seemed to get along well and everyone was professional. One or two of yours were tools, but then again... we tied our idiots up and left them in the back of the 5 ton! :twisted: Cant have them embarassing my Marine Corps now can I?
 
Re: Give up the Ghost - American Navy Biggest, Baddest, Best

My DO at Raleigh was a Lootenant JG Makins USN.Nice guy but stuck out like a sore thumb when Divisions were ordered to about turn!LOL
 
Re: Give up the Ghost - American Navy Biggest, Baddest, Best

SgtUSMC8541 said:
I've done some work with the RAF and bumpted into some Army and Marines in my time. (all in Iraq) I had no major issues at all. We all seemed to get along well and everyone was professional. One or two of yours were tools, but then again... we tied our idiots up and left them in the back of the 5 ton! :twisted: Cant have them embarassing my Marine Corps now can I?

Well, well, well. Another Marine finds his way in from the cold. Welcome aboard from an old air-winger (6531). We got a good bunch here, and they tell it like it is. Hope you're staying low out there.
 
Re: Give up the Ghost - American Navy Biggest, Baddest, Best

Staying low. Got my hide built on my FFP and I am standing by to locate, close with and destroy the enemy with fire and manuver and repel enemy assult with fire and close combat. :roll:

Hey, false motovation is better than no motovation at all. :D

Grunt and Scout Sniper here. (0311, 8541)
 
Re: Give up the Ghost - American Navy Biggest, Baddest, Best

SgtUSMC8541 said:
Staying low. Got my hide built on my FFP and I am standing by to locate, close with and destroy the enemy with fire and manuver and repel enemy assult with fire and close combat. :roll:

Hey, false motovation is better than no motovation at all. :D

Grunt and Scout Sniper here. (0311, 8541)


I just love your signature "SgtUSMC8541" , bet you don't take no prisoners ,
 
Re: Give up the Ghost - American Navy Biggest, Baddest, Best

Did three years with Cable & Wireless (before they pulled out of the US market)

Reading the thread was like a flashback to meetings with the "Big Guns" from Fleet Street.. But it was OK 'cause we could make them feel bad for calling us names & they would buy the beer after work, they could drink oceans of our beer all the while sniveling that it wasn't as good as UK brew.

B-Y & SgtUSMC.. these are good guys.. pour a few Ice Cold Silver Bullets down them and they will be laughing & trying to explain Cricket & understand our Football...

:D :D :D
 
Re: Give up the Ghost - American Navy Biggest, Baddest, Best

andym said:
Might be Gunny Highway?????

FULL METAL JACKET.


R. Lee Ermey, who plays Senior Drill Instructor Gunnery Sgt. Hartman, was originally the
Technical Advisor for the film. Since he had really been a Marine DI, Stanley Kubrick (Director) asked him to give an example of how an SDI would talk to a new platoon of recruits. After some minutes of non-stop invectives without repeating himself, Kubrick was so impressed that he hired Ermey on the spot to play the role on screen. And, the sample dialogue was incorporated into the script.

Issafact.

"I have to admit a bias here. I served in the Marines for twenty years. I was a Company Commander at Parris Island in 1969 - 70. The year before I was CO of E Company, 2nd Battalion, 5th Marines (2/5) just after the battalion came out of Hue City. 2/5 led the American counterattack into Hue. "
R. Lee Ermey
 
Re: Give up the Ghost - American Navy Biggest, Baddest, Best

janner said:
andym said:
Might be Gunny Highway?????

FULL METAL JACKET.


R. Lee Ermey, who plays Senior Drill Instructor Gunnery Sgt. Hartman, was originally the
Technical Advisor for the film. Since he had really been a Marine DI, Stanley Kubrick (Director) asked him to give an example of how an SDI would talk to a new platoon of recruits. After some minutes of non-stop invectives without repeating himself, Kubrick was so impressed that he hired Ermey on the spot to play the role on screen. And, the sample dialogue was incorporated into the script.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeX5HSBFooI

That's the start of the film with his off-the-cuff script.
 
Re: Give up the Ghost - American Navy Biggest, Baddest, Best

Jenny_Dabber said:
Out of interest, who has seen this little video.

No bashing here, however they do like to toot their own horn at times!

Luv ya BNY!!

Ah shucks JD , I'm quite impressed with that vid , always so Patriotic , I so wish our Country was , :lol:
 

Latest Threads

Top