Gilbert Hackforth-Jones

Seaweed

War Hero
Book Reviewer
A submariner who commanded several boats before retiring in 1936, perhaps with eyesight problems caused by squinting through too many periscopes, Gilbert Hackforth Jones took up his pen and produced a variety of work including children's books and, with his wife, two plays. Among all this were several humorous novels and some short stories about the RN which he sends up in a very amusing style much as does John Winton whose work overlaps.

I've just been re-reading 'Life on the Ocean Wave' which had me in fits at times. GH-J's earliest works focus on submarines but this one is set in a support ship converted from a liner and in some ways reminded my of HMSs Maidstone and Hartland Point. Dated 1960 and set in the 'future' of 1963, I would think it was actually written 1957-8. The plot is fairly preposterous at times but with just enough links to reality to make it work. It's Wardroom stuff of course because that's what he knows. I'd have thought some of the officers depicted were unreal if I hadn't know several who were even more barmy, and many of the more ridiculous incidents are eerily familiar. Worth grabbing any of his books if they turn up on a charity bookstall and some are still available on the net.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
soleil BBC Wales: "Rhod Gilbert's Work Experience: The Navy" The Fleet 0
J failed the medical standard for entry due to Gilbert's syndrome? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
BillyNoMates Commander Mike Gilbert RN Submariners 4
MoD_RSS Helen Jones, Eileen Munro and Rohan Sivanandan appointed as members of the Cafcass Board MoD News 0
MoD_RSS A letter from John Glen to Stephen Jones on Mortgage Prisoners MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Treasury Solicitor Jonathan Jones QC awarded KCB MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Change of British High Commissioner to Solomon Islands: Brian Jones MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Gwen Parry-Jones OBE announced as Magnox Chief Executive Officer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Jonathan Jones Appointed as Honorary Queen’s Counsel MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: PM call with First Minister Jones: 21 November 2018 MoD News 0
soleil BFBS: "Gethin Jones Plans New Career In Forces" Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 17
frogman007 Alex Jones tits look good tonight!! The Quarterdeck 4
scouse Davy Jones RIP Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 14
rod-gearing Catherine Zeta Jones Diamond Lil's 6
soleil Metro: "Lt Cdr Mike Jones-Thompson - The Last British Soldier Left In Basra" Bases / Shore Est 5
R Mick Jones and The Queen Submariners 2
B Catherine Zeta Jones Furious At Cancer Doctors Current Affairs 3
soleil "Harriet Harman & Kevan Jones visit the families at Faslane" Bases / Shore Est 3
R lt cmdr John Eyton-jones pictures on ship The Fleet Air Arm 32
sgtpepperband Sir John Harvey-Jones RIP Current Affairs 4
sgtpepperband Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull Diamond Lil's 7
bigbaddog Umberto Bond&Wheelspanner Jones Diamond Lil's 4

Latest Threads