Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gifts of Christmas past

Memories of past Christmas gifts spring to mind at this time of year and I was wondering what stirs the memories of fellow RR out there.
Here are some I can just about remember receiving:

Blue Stratos
Hai Karate
Multi coloured tank top.
Old WW2 tin hat
Yardley for men.

Never had a Johnny Seven though! :thumbdown:

Topstop

War Hero
Clock work furry red spider that spent most of Christmas day running across the chart table up north untill the navi got pissed off and broke it :dwarf:

jambosun

Lantern Swinger
A pukka Hornby train set, featuring the Duchess of Sutherland as the main train, was one of my very best. Must have been around 1978.

When I returned home from University in the mid-80s I found out my old man had sold it and kept the cash so it wasn't really a present, more of a loan of a nice toy!

BillyNoMates

War Hero
Saved up in a "Christmas Club" Book at my local
newsagents for months! This is all I ever wanted,
and I eventually got one. If only I'd kept
the box/receipt/dalek (all in mint condition) until
now........worth a hoofin' lot more now than back
when it was my "Big Christmas present".

Topstop

War Hero
Wife once gave me a jumper. "Very nice painting jumper " Says I as it went straight in the draw

7 months latter there was painting to be done and out comes the jumper, within 10 minutes its covered in paint and there was agreat deal of wailling and gnashing from the wife (not impressed).

BillyNoMates

War Hero
"What does Wolf Pack Leader want this Christmas?" I asked.
"A laminater...."
"What?"
"A laminater"
"Err alright then dearest...."
(So that's what's on top of the wardrobe, all
nicely wrapped up complete with 25 A4 laminater
plastic pockets).
I took her down to *Staples* and she even picked
it herself.
Must admit - she's calmed down a bit since the hysterectomy.

Mousetrap game.... lots of coloured plasticky bits which fitted together with the sole object of catching a mouse in a small cage. It seemed to be more effective at catching delinquent mice than our criminal justice system is at catching criminals..... :roll: Perhaps James Dyson could design a new game called Burgular Trap? :lol:

Moomin

War Hero
jambosun said:
A pukka Hornby train set, featuring the Duchess of Sutherland as the main train, was one of my very best. Must have been around 1978.

When I returned home from University in the mid-80s I found out my old man had sold it and kept the cash so it wasn't really a present, more of a loan of a nice toy!

My Grandad bought me that train set in 1978 for my birthday, think he may have wanted a boy.
I've still got it complete with all the trains, he bought to play with, still in boxes etc.
I got it out for my kids to play with last year, but it was lost on them, not a Wii you see.
(walks away muttering) :dontknow:

jambosun

Lantern Swinger
Moomin said:
jambosun said:

My Grandad bought me that train set in 1978 for my birthday, think he may have wanted a boy.
I've still got it complete with all the trains, he bought to play with, still in boxes etc.
I got it out for my kids to play with last year, but it was lost on them, not a Wii you see.
(walks away muttering) :dontknow:

I bet they'll be a sight more interested when they're a bit older and realise what its worth. Don't let them have it though; they had their chance and blew it!

D

Deleted 7

I got a bop-it many years ago and I still can't frigging beat the fecker!

I do recall once getting about 2 dozen hankies, and about as many pairs of sox from the entire family!
Imagination wasn't a well known trait from my siblings in those days .... !!

:)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Korean generous gifts History 11
MoD_RSS News story: Uk gifts historic SS Mendi Bell from WW1 to South Africa MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: UK gifts historic shipwrecks to Canada MoD News 0
Guns RAF WWII bombs - the gifts that still give. Current Affairs 4
MoD_RSS News story: Minister for the Reserves gifts WW2 records to Polish Government MoD News 0
Rumrat Crimbo gifts for the Mother in Law. Diamond Lil's 6
B VALENTINES GIFTS FOR THAT LADY IN YOUR LIFE Diamond Lil's 12
wet_blobby valentines day gifts.... Diamond Lil's 4
R st Nics gifts Diamond Lil's 26
baldricks_bullet HELP! I'm all at sea! (personalised gifts for you!) The Quarterdeck 23
MoD_RSS Care home residents to be reunited with families by Christmas MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Prime Minister announces £1,000 Christmas grant for 'wet-led pubs' MoD News 0
MoD_RSS GC Christmas webinar: Sustainable Chemistry MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Boost for high street as Jenrick extends opening hours for Christmas shopping MoD News 0
MoD_RSS OPSS launches Christmas online toy safety campaign MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK-wide Christmas arrangements agreed by the UK Government and the Devolved Administrations MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Joint statement on UK-wide Christmas arrangements from the UK Government and Devolved Administrations MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Change of journey fees waived for students travelling home for Christmas MoD News 0
SONAR-BENDER Merry Bloody Christmas v20 Diamond Lil's 49
MoD_RSS Christmas and New Year closures for courts and tribunals 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Puppy lovers should paws for thought to avoid being ‘Petfished’ this Christmas, warns Chief Veterinary Officer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Christmas guidance set out for university students  MoD News 0
soleil Portsmouth Naval Base Christmas Card Competition Bases / Shore Est 1
MoD_RSS Northern Ireland seafood firm gears up for Christmas 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Recycle or replant your tree for a greener Christmas MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Plastic found on Suffolk beach used to decorate Christmas tree MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Communities Secretary Robert Jenrick spends Christmas evening at Birmingham Christmas Shelter MoD News 0
MoD_RSS River Great Ouse gets Christmas present with fish restocking MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Read your child a book this Christmas, says Children’s Minister MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 200 people to spend Christmas off the streets and in their own homes thanks to innovative government programme Housing First MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Northern Ireland cheese producer enjoys boost in Christmas sales MoD News 0
MoD_RSS A greener Christmas is the best present for the environment. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Prime Minister Boris Johnson's Christmas message: 24 December 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Parole Board Christmas and New Year opening times 2019-2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Christmas boost for Midlands businesses MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Border Force crackdown on Christmas counterfeits MoD News 2
MoD_RSS Christmas comes early for first £5k winner of new Treasury-backed savings account MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Prime Minister visits British troops in Estonia for Christmas MoD News 0
MoD_RSS World craves British food this Christmas MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Almost 1 in 3 are considering donating to a charity for Christmas instead of giving a gift MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Plating up for Christmas MoD News 0
MoD_RSS DASA Christmas hours 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS DBS Christmas and New Year Opening Times 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM: “Brexit vote wrapped up for Christmas" MoD News 0
soleil RN Website: "World's Oldest Christmas Pud On Display In Naval Museum" History 0
soleil FB: HMS Raleigh page - The Twelve Days Of Christmas Bases / Shore Est 1
MoD_RSS Meet the families keeping motorists moving at Christmas MoD News 0
soleil FB: RNAS Culdrose "The Game On Every (Naval) Aviator’s Christmas List." The Fleet Air Arm 17
MoD_RSS More than 800 miles of roadworks completed or lifted in time for Christmas MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New team of British medics to tackle measles outbreak in Samoa over Christmas as crisis continues to claim children’s lives MoD News 0