Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Gibraltar Today

Though technically not about the base itself wondered if the RN still used the Goonery Range off Gibraltar.
Seem to remember that the hopeful PWO(A)'s went there to practice trying to knock things out of the sky with the thing at the pointy end that went bang occasionally (that's when it did not jam)

Helo is safe - check blind safety 4 5 engage BANG

Last edited:
Though technically not about the base itself wondered if the RN still used the Goonery Range off Gibraltar.
Seem to remember that the hopeful PWO(A)'s went there to practice trying to knock things out of the sky with the thing at the pointy end that went bang occasionally (that's when it did not jam)

Helo is safe - check blind safety 4 5 engage BANG
Going to Gib in May for 4 nights/3 days with my mate off the Fearless Jim and our wives. Not sure what we'll recognise. Last went there on Gurkha 1980 day running on Gunnery Offices Course. Live firing at a vessel that wouldn't sink...
Need to get my liver in training.

Going to Gib in May for 4 nights/3 days with my mate off the Fearless Jim and our wives. Not sure what we'll recognise. Last went there on Gurkha 1980 day running on Gunnery Offices Course. Live firing at a vessel that wouldn't sink...
Need to get my liver in training.
Prepare to be (very) surprised! The harbour is half the size, now being full of high rise apartments, Rooke being one such site. Cally Pally has just been demolished. Main St is 'interesting', especially if you are there on a day when there are 2 or 3 cruise ships in!

Where are you staying? Elliot (old Holiday Inn) is very handy for Main St and the Rock is only 2 minutes by taxi. Do the Upper Rock tour by taxi.

The good news is I believe your DF allowance is 4 ltrs each.... Wood's is a fiver a litre!

Prepare to be (very) surprised! The harbour is half the size, now being full of high rise apartments, Rooke being one such site. Cally Pally has just been demolished. Main St is 'interesting', especially if you are there on a day when there are 2 or 3 cruise ships in!

Where are you staying? Elliot (old Holiday Inn) is very handy for Main St and the Rock is only 2 minutes by taxi. Do the Upper Rock tour by taxi.

The good news is I believe your DF allowance is 4 ltrs each.... Wood's is a fiver a litre!
We're going posh atThe Rock as I always looked enviously at it.
Will avoid Main Street if there are cruise ships in, hopefully May won't be too bad and they'll be gone by evening.

It doesn't look like this any more.....

(That's the Horseshoe on the right!) And it's been pedestrianize for years.

331772367_729541071918576_2979471860444674003_n.jpg

I'm going back in early October and meeting RNA people I know from the RNA tot time zoom meetings.
I plan on topping up my rum locker
Objective achieved 6 bottles of various rums and 2 vodkas for the Mrs between us
She wanted more vodka but had to trade 2 of her bottle allowance for me to bring back 200 fags for her

Latest Threads