Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Gibraltar Today

Buccaneer

Lantern Swinger
Hi Shipmates

Going back to Gibraltar is March for the first time since the 80's - am aware that the Gibraltar Squadron of Fast Patrol Boats is about the only waterboard presences the RN has now along with any visiting warship/RFA vessels.

Wondered where any of the RN staff live now that are stationed in Gib, where does the Commadore live now that The Mount is now basically a registry office ?

Are any of the attractions inside the Rock available to the Public for Tours and is there anything up the top that is available for the public that si of interest.

Will be good to see how the place has changed.

Thanks

Pat

I went over in 2020 (got back the day the UK locked down). I hadn't been since the 80's.

The only modern military presence I saw the over use of RAF signs at the airport (just cant help themselves) and a pongo walking up the high street in rig.

Spent a lot of time trying to work out where the pubs I went in years before are now :)

Hi Shipmates

Going back to Gibraltar is March for the first time since the 80's - am aware that the Gibraltar Squadron of Fast Patrol Boats is about the only waterboard presences the RN has now along with any visiting warship/RFA vessels.

Wondered where any of the RN staff live now that are stationed in Gib, where does the Commadore live now that The Mount is now basically a registry office ?

Are any of the attractions inside the Rock available to the Public for Tours and is there anything up the top that is available for the public that si of interest.

Thanks

Pat
Gib was not always considered torture!:rolleyes:

Jack

Hi Shipmates

Thanks

Pat
Hi Pat
I been there a few times in the last 5 years, last time in September
The crabs are still there, no idea where their accommodation is, likewise the RN
There has been massive redevelopment since you were last there
The taxi drivers do tours round the Rock including stopping off at St Michaels cave etc
Top of the Rock is worth a visit for the views and a tick off in your taskbook you either walk taxi or cable car There is a cafe at the top
Most of the tourism is during the daytime with cruise liners docking
Not many of the old bars remain: The Flip Flop is still there but rarely open, the Mad Monk is still there but the food is crap.
I liked the Skull Bar (Cannon), Star Bar, Nelsons and some good bars down the marina area
Main St is still recognisable Prices at the Airport duty aren't much higher than shops in town if you're only taking hand luggage
Try the Trafalgar Rum they serve out there-very nice

Hi Pat
I been there a few times in the last 5 years, last time in September
The crabs are still there, no idea where their accommodation is, likewise the RN
There has been massive redevelopment since you were last there
The taxi drivers do tours round the Rock including stopping off at St Michaels cave etc
Top of the Rock is worth a visit for the views and a tick off in your taskbook you either walk taxi or cable car There is a cafe at the top
Most of the tourism is during the daytime with cruise liners docking
Not many of the old bars remain: The Flip Flop is still there but rarely open, the Mad Monk is still there but the food is crap.
I liked the Skull Bar (Cannon), Star Bar, Nelsons and some good bars down the marina area
Main St is still recognisable Prices at the Airport duty aren't much higher than shops in town if you're only taking hand luggage
Try the Trafalgar Rum they serve out there-very nice
What Buster said! And add - try the Spanking Roger, especially the Blood Orange and Grapefruit!

Don't bother going to The Hole In The Wall, as it closed down 5 or 6 years ago.

There are Tunnel Tours available.

What Buster said! And add - try the Spanking Roger, especially the Blood Orange and Grapefruit!

Don't bother going to The Hole In The Wall, as it closed down 5 or 6 years ago.

There are Tunnel Tours available.
Is it still possible to do lower St Michaels Caves? Did it way back and my gast was flabbered when the guide showed us a pussers right angled torch that was coated in calcite.
THEN!! It was back to the bar!!! Again!!!!

Is it still possible to do lower St Michaels Caves? Did it way back and my gast was flabbered when the guide showed us a pussers right angled torch that was coated in calcite.
THEN!! It was back to the bar!!! Again!!!!
A lot of the sites are only accessible to 'Serving' personnel, or a friend of a friend. For example, I've been lucky enough to dive in the Silent Pool / Ragged Staff Lake several times. Even the folk in the Gib dive shop hadn't been in there!

As for lower St M, I'd think the same applies.

Latest Threads