gibraltar flotilla

Discussion in 'The Gash Barge' started by hookyw, Nov 2, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Let's start again.
    The Gibraltar Flotilla is a joke.
    What on earth is it for?
    What purpose does it serve?
    To curtail the Spanish Navy ?
    To protect British Mercantile shipping from pirate attack? No[--But
    as a British Military saluting base for the Governor General ( Ostritch feathers alone costs £220.00 ) His dress uniform over £823.00 to take the salute this coming Remembrance Sunday.
    What purpose is it serving?

2. Hello Norman,

You have previously shown blind obstinacy in refusing to accept any facts regarding our need to maintain a naval presence at Gibraltar so I doubt anyone is going to bother 'debating' it with you again. As for £823 for the Governor General's uniform, what a bargain! An ordinary RN officer's No 1 (formerly No 5) uniform costs £1,000 from Gieves (link). Isn't inflation a terrible thing?

If you prefer, I suppose the Governor General could always turn up for the Remembrance Sunday service wearing a donkey jacket, jeans and a pair of trainers but most of us would prefer our official representatives to show more respect on such occasions.

Any sensible response? I thought not.

3. But was that a sensible response? I thought not ---Blind obstinacy? Now there's English writ large.
    Blind-One cannot see
    and Obstinacy --If one could see one would not want to (being bloody minded)
    So long as you are there wearing your number ones twos threes or fours at whatever cost- will bring a glow of pride to this OAP as he turns his gas fire down to save costs.

4. There is an absolutely essential reason for the Gib Squadron but it cannot be discussed on this forum. I suggest you shut up and just accept for once that there are actually a few people in the higher levels of the RN/MOD/Government who are fully aware of the realities of operational tasking, foreign policy and the potential threats to national security, who take decisions and allocate forces in the most efficient and cost effective way allowed by the constraints of the defence budget in order to protect us all. End of message.

5. Bloody hell.
    Such wisdom and profundity from such an empty shell.
    Phew!
    The Wren Lt and her two glorified MFV's cannot be discussed here -- The Gib Squadron's too secret further even to be whisperred of in this banal forum.
    I'm momentarilly shutting up as , I have to say, you've put the wind up me.
    i'm off to bed.

6. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

As the Governor of Gibraltar is the representative of the British monarch in Gibraltar, appointed on the advice of the British government, then this is an issue for the FCO, not the MOD... :roll:

7. So that's alright then.. No cost to us as taxpayers as the MOD has no role in this Its the FCO.

Hang on ! Who pays the MOD?
    Who pays the FCO?

According to this argument --different people.different rules
    Perhaps Sgt Pepper will explain further

8. sgtpepperband

Different website... :yawn:

Wassup, Norman? The MOD Media Office not open today, so you've come back to annoy us again, like an itchy bollock?! :?

9. Crabfat cured that in my day
    You're too young to have remembered Crushers Leading Patrolmen and Jaunties as they once were . I do remember so , a word of advice --I'd pipe down.

10. sgtpepperband

For someone who's just arrived you certainly have a gob on ya... much like your Mother!

11. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Why would someone of your intelligence, experience and connections wish to take part then?

Your written English is letting you down more often than it once did Norman. A few howlers that I wouldn't usually associate with your generation. Is there something that you are not telling us?

Gash may now be ditched.

12. whatthefuckis a MOD Media Office? More assumed jobs for doing nothing?

13. sgtpepperband

There's an echo in 'ere... :roll:

14. Repeating itself as ever

15. sgtpepperband

For one who's only been here a couple of days, you've taken an unhealthy interest in a dead and buried thread... :yawn:

16. There's necromancy prediction for you.